Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Rum for the holidays.
Topic Summary: Sipping not mixing.
Created On: 12/09/2020 06:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/09/2020 06:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

While the rest of the world goes Gaga over bourbon, sipping rum is my hobby. Going for highest rating at best price.

Top five:
1. Santa Teresa Solera. Bolder flavor with the smoothness in perfect union. $40. (93pts)

2. Plantation FIJI really good and better with each sip. $24 (98pts!)

3. Babancourt 15 yr. The cognac of rums. $50

4. Flor De Cana 12 year. Smoooooooooth. $33. (93pts).

5. Kirk and Sweeney 12 year old. Just perfect. $33. (95pts).
Honorable mentions Cruzan $30 single battle and dos Maderos 10 year$30 ish And maybe Zafra 21 year old $50.

I always thought I would like just one and drink just that but I have been limiting myself to just one glass a night and only one or two nights a week so I can really get the quality and enjoyment out of it. I use one big cube in those silicone four molds. Let it sit for a few minutes and make last about a half hour. Really enjoyable. I use the points system at first to try new things but now it's to verify my own tastes. Babancourt is not even rated and it's one of the best while Santa Teresa solera is a 92 and it's the best. Some of the lower priced ones are great but the flavor comes from sitting in barrels for years and mellowing and that gets expensive. The whole plantation line is great but the Fiji is $24 and excellent.

Let me know what you think is worth trying, your rankings and what you love. I'm always interested and I quit drinking bourbon when the hipsters hijacked it and made middle of the road bottles Cost more than the very best rums.

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

12/10/2020 04:04 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

I love Blackwell's. It is made by/under Chris Blackwell who brought reggae to the States from Jamaica. He was a music pioneer and his rum is delicious, with a hint of vanilla (as best I can describe it). Moderately priced and delicious. My wife found it a couple of years ago and that is what I now buy. Barbancourt and Flora de Cana are really good, but, I still like Blackwell's better. I also like Ron Abuello and Cruzan. Santiago from Cuba is really, really good, but, you can only get it in Cuba. The stuff sold in the States is made in PR and is not very good.

I gave up on bourbon in the early '70s when I was a new drinker. I drank way too much one night and burped it for a week (after barfing it for a night). Can't tolerate the smell anymore. Rum has never let me down.
 12/10/2020 05:03 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Hooray Rum

My favs ( I'm no expert like JB )

Bacardi 8

Flor de Cana ( I have had the 50 and it is spectacular, but others of the line are quite good also)

Don Q cristal : great mixer

I'm a fan of where ever you are the local is best.

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 12/10/2020 08:41 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

I've read good and bad reviews about "10 Cane" from Trinidad. I've never been a rum-sipper -- usually a mixer -- but have found 10 Cane to be one of the more palatable ones to sip.

One review said it was made from cane instead of molasses, and was thus more like Brazilian Cachaça.
 12/10/2020 06:04 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

I happened upon a bottle of 25 year Flor a few months back in Durango Co. ( of all places! ) ..... INCREDIBLE !!! But at $135.00 ( "Happy hour" pricing at a local liquor store, ya gotta love Colorado ! ), it damn sure better be.

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 12/10/2020 08:15 PM

johnnyboy

I have seen it but it seems like that price is too much and I can't justify it. But I've never had it. That could change if I have it and it's justified.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

12/11/2020 07:31 AM

surfin1980

Joined Forum: 10/24/2003

Can't go wrong with Pusser's. As a fan of the Caribbean and the surf there, the Painkiller goes well after a long session.
 12/11/2020 01:31 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

I have been wanting to try "Frigate Reserve" because Flip Pallot is the man LOL. I love a good Jamaican rum and flora

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 12/11/2020 02:47 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Can't start to think of all the rums I've drank in the US Virgin Islands. There was not a law against "open containers" to begin with, then you realize how cheap it is! No US Customs Duty or Sales Tax. The regular Cruzan was just about as cheap as a bottle of "fancy" drinking water!

For now, I prefer Flora de Cana and/or Cruzan.

Dora Hates You
 12/11/2020 04:26 PM

johnnyboy

Had the cruzan single barrel last night. It's remarkably close to the 15 yr Babancourt. I love it.

12/11/2020 05:46 PM

surfin1980

Joined Forum: 10/24/2003

Ding, always nice when you are exiting the St. Thomas airport, and they pump you full of Cruzan samples...for free!!
 12/11/2020 05:46 PM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

Please stay away from Blackwell's. I would hate for it to become so popular that they jack the price up. More for me.
 12/11/2020 06:11 PM

johnnyboy

The only other Jamaican rum I've had is the Appleton estate. I did not like it. Looking Forward to trying blackwells but I have about three ahead of it.

12/12/2020 06:12 AM

Retread

Joined Forum: 07/09/2014

Surprised no one mentioned Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva to start @ $30 +/- Others up to $300+ I've never had the pleasure... Picked up some Koloa Kaua'i Dark while there and really like - available at Total Wine @ $40 & cheaper if you're on Kaua'i (insert smiley face here).
 12/12/2020 08:32 AM

johnnyboy

I do like the diplomatico but it's a bit sweet. The dictador is also good.

12/12/2020 06:08 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: Retread Surprised no one mentioned Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva to start @ $30 .
Just got some. Not bad at all! Mahalo!
 12/14/2020 06:23 AM

Cole

I've always bought Matusalem 15; it's smooth with no burn for $25. I sip it neat.

Their Gran Reserva 23 is like toasted butter.

I was right.
 12/15/2020 02:50 PM

johnnyboy

Just bought the blackwells. I feel compelled to report ASAP.

12/16/2020 03:20 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Got a bottle of Flor. Always brings back Popoyo memories
 12/16/2020 03:21 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Originally posted by: johnnyboy Just bought the blackwells. I feel compelled to report ASAP.
I know a rum person who says it's kinda average. Let us know..
FORUMS : FOOD ...........and Music : Rum for the holidays.

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .