Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Florida snow
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/23/2022 09:22 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/23/2022 09:22 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jedi

Joined Forum: 03/27/2017

anyone got good and effective ways of getting rid of the stuff
 11/23/2022 09:55 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

I wrote to Sally Scalera/IFAS a while back asking about it and here is what she said. I'm pretty anal about my yard, with lots of beds, regular mowing and weeding, etc, but I figure green is green so have decided to just go with it. Better for the environment than St. Auggie or applying herbicide. Way more upside than downside. One other upside - it might drive the gated community yard police crazy -

Sally,

Me - So, what are your thoughts on this stuff (Pusley)? I know it's an invasive, which is generally bad, but, it seems to have some good sides as an alternative to St. Augustine (drought resistant, butterfly and bee food source, etc).

Sally - I also agree that it is a nectar source for butterflies and bees, so where it is in my yard is fine. It is also very nice to walk on barefoot because the succulent leaves are cool and soft!

Me - I have tried Sunshine Mimosa, Perennial Peanut, and Fog Fruit, none of which have done well. I have areas of deep shade and others with bright sun, areas that are low and moist and others that are high and dry, and a (very occasional) flooding problem after super heavy rains (over 10 inches of rain can leave a foot of water covering my entire back yard; generally hurricane related). and St. Aug has done the best overall. It's weak in the shade, but at least it survives so I don't have dirt yard and it recovers after the flooding (weakened, but, at least not dead). Most of my yard is covered in mulched beds, but, I do want some area where we can "play". Nothing else does well. I am not really a fan of the white carpet, but, it only lasts for a while and seems to provide a pretty thick ground cover otherwise. Will it survive in deep shade?

Sally - I think it needs full sun. Will it recover after my (very) occasional floods? I don't think it will since I see it growing in sandy soil in the full sun. It seems to grow in dry locations.

Me - It may not matter since my neighbor has it and I probably will have it too, but I am interested in what to expect and what you think.

Sally - Yes, I would expect that it will end up in your yard and if/when it does, I would not recommend that you start spraying herbicides just to get rid of it.
 11/23/2022 10:20 AM

jedi

Joined Forum: 03/27/2017

thanks great thoughts on it just might do the same
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .