Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Exotic Landscaping
Topic Summary: Looking for recommendations
Created On: 11/04/2020 10:42 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/04/2020 10:42 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

bradlat

Joined Forum: 08/23/2004

2nd Lighters

I'm going to be installing a circle drive of pavers in my front yard and some in my backyard as well. I'm looking to fill in the landscaping with some coconut palms, other exotic palms, and some type of hedge/barrier plants. Many of you have palms from time to time, but I am looking to buy quite a few plants and possibly get some landscaping advice/ideas.

Any help/recommendations on where i'd be able to load up on some palms would be appreciated!

Thanks

Brad
 11/05/2020 06:17 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Any nursery usually has coconuts. Even homedepot/lowes of the world.

There are different types of coconut as well. I like the malayan dwarf as they don't grow as quick and mature and produce nuts when about ten feet tall.

Where you would get those is beyond me. I got one though.

Gotta worry about a freeze with coconuts. are you in a microclimate that is protected? Otherwise, with ten years we probably will get a coconut killing freeze.

11/08/2020 05:05 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Heathcote Botanical Gardens in Fort Pierce has a whole bunch of sprouted Malayan Dwarfs for sale. All donated by a single friend of the garden. In general I don't recommend coconuts as yard plants. The leaves have to be cut and the fruits are dangerous. Lots of fine other choices, especially if you're on the barrier island. Satellite Beach and Melbourne Beach are very protected by the swath of water. The seasonal sales are over, but you can find lots of palms at local nurseries in Martin County southward, and MB Palms near Orlando. They've been regulars at Vero's Gardenfest and I've bought two nice cycads and several small palms from them. 407.256.4540, mbpalms@hotmail.com
 12/14/2020 01:34 AM

ww

Digg Gardens in the Wabasso area is a small business but can find plants very effectively. 772-360-2131
If you happen to be in Volusia, Lindley's Garden Center is where to go.
 12/15/2020 10:34 AM

bradlat

Joined Forum: 08/23/2004

Thanks for the recommendations. I ended up getting matching triple Alexanders and a Copernicia from the Palm House off Malabar Rd. Still window shopping for some others.
 12/16/2020 02:14 AM

ww

Don't plant your Alexanders as triples. Looks nice, but not good for root systems or stability. Plant them at least a little distance apart, so the trunks have an opportunity to grow more or less vertically. My two Satakentias are about 4 feet from each other, still kind of close but they seem to like each other. Alexander equivalents (Archontophoenix tuckeri) have been given plenty of space and have grown fast.
 12/19/2020 03:16 AM

ww

Via Florida Native Plant Society, Eugenia Chapter:
Digg Gardens, 7430 US Highway 1, Vero Beach is now open for retail sales (almost across from Busy Bee Nursery). Owner Spencer Porteous has 3-gallon native plants in stock (& 1-gallon native plants to arrive in January). Lots of gifts for gardeners, too.
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .