Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: What Happened to the River?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/02/2020 04:47 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/02/2020 04:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Big John

Joined Forum: 08/14/2006

The water has been so nice and clear with the sea grasses doing nicely. Then, this week, it all turned pea green. Is it an algae bloom?

Edited: 09/02/2020 at 05:39 AM by Big John
 09/02/2020 05:13 AM

kreidel

Joined Forum: 08/27/2009

Maybe the winds churned things up? I hope it is not algae, our poor river doesn't need that.

-------------------------
 09/02/2020 08:02 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

probably a bloom we had a ton of rain which = polluted run off, then no rain and lots of sun = algae bloom.

I wish the cities and counties would be held accountable for our failing sewer infrastructure as we pay each month for "water and sewer" were does that money go?

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 09/25/2020 05:40 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

"...In the lagoons, our waters look horrible. The algae bloom has consumed the entire north and central Indian and Banana River system from Scottsmore to Melbourne. "

Capt Ross

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 09/26/2020 09:51 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Gotta have those green lawns.

I was right.
 09/27/2020 11:28 AM

Big John

I wish the problem was as simple as lawn fertilizer. I'm sure that lawn fertilizer contributes to the problem but is not the major cause any longer. Outdated sewer systems and increasing populations beachside and Viera etc. So sad!
 09/28/2020 05:32 AM

surfmcc32

Joined Forum: 11/11/2009

Is there any way to deal with weeds in the grass that isn't detrimental to the river? Taking care of my moms house down here and the hoa is complaining about a mix of weeds and grass..a buddys yard was essentially taken over by dollar weeds and I actually like it better.
 09/28/2020 06:18 AM

Cole

Originally posted by: Big John

I wish the problem was as simple as lawn fertilizer. I'm sure that lawn fertilizer contributes to the problem but is not the major cause any longer. Outdated sewer systems and increasing populations beachside and Viera etc. So sad!

I'll agree to disagree, fertilizer seems to be most of the problem. The river goes bad after little rain events, events that are too small to flood septic systems. More people, more houses, more green lawns, more crap that run into the rivers.

My son wanted to catch some little tarpon, so he caught some Pilchards in a Cocoa Beach canal and took them to a baby tarpon spot in Merritt Island. They died as soon as they hit the water from lack of DO. Not good.

I was right.
 09/28/2020 03:10 PM

Big John

Well you may be right. If so, let's ban the crap right now. I'm sure golf courses would be pissed but homeowners shouldn't care that much.
 09/30/2020 08:47 AM

Cole

Cocoa Beach CC is using something that is supposedly much better for the environment than normal fertilizer. Unfortunately, with some many underlying issues, there is no way to know if it's helping or not.

Curing our green grass addiction would do wonders, but that will never happen. The same can be said for the old septic systems.

I was right.
 10/02/2020 09:11 AM

stokedpanda

I think a lot of the volume of chemicals comes from the farms through the canals, ditches, and creeks into the ICW in addition to residential runoff.

10/02/2020 03:13 PM

Big John

Originally posted by: stokedpanda

I think a lot of the volume of chemicals comes from the farms through the canals, ditches, and creeks into the ICW in addition to residential runoff.

^^No doubt!
 10/04/2020 09:34 AM

inletbum

Joined Forum: 10/24/2006

Placing a ban on water soluable fertilizers would make difference, but that is exactly what all the companies that spray use and all the cheap bagged fertilizers are composed of. Too much money to be made maintaining the status quo.
 10/04/2020 10:58 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Mass balance people. Tons of nitrogen and phosphorus from food (think wastewater) and fertilizer trucked into IRL watershed. No equal and opposite mechanism to remove it. Hot on the left, cold on the right, shit flows downhill. The Lagoon is the bottom of the hill. Any wonder that all that extra nitrogen and phosphorus are eutrophying the system? Nothing complicated about it. Same old story all around the country and world for that matter. Same solutions too.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 10/05/2020 08:44 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

we are past the tipping point to come back, we care about the water quality...no-one else does, All around me is perfect St. Auggy so bright green and clean. Landscapers cut and blow grass into the canals, yard "techs" spraying all the time, sprinklers running day after day, The average Brevard resident justs want nice grass. 99% just drive over the bridges most don't even notice the color changes or care.

Edited: 10/05/2020 at 10:41 AM by SurferMic
 10/05/2020 09:21 AM

stokedpanda

I cant believe there is not more discussion at city meetings, growing up we used to swim in the canals, wake surf, go to bird island and hang. When will the "average" person take notice?

10/05/2020 01:19 PM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

I remember when the water was so clear , you could use a frog gig for trout.

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 10/05/2020 02:36 PM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Originally posted by: Big John I'm sure that lawn fertilizer contributes to the problem but is not the major cause any longer.
Sadly it still is. The load from lawn fertilizer has not gone down. The wet season ban is largely ignored. It may even backfire as people are apt to feed like crazy just before the ban kicks in and then you get a little rain in May and the lagoon goes to poop. Yes septic and leaky sewer are huge problems. But the fact that the blooms are following rains and the clear is following dry shows that runoff is a big factor along with rain driven mobilization of shallow ground water loaded with poop and causing bad sewers to leak more. Remember the winter bloom that caused the big kill in March 2016? That one was fueled by one of the wettest and warmest winters on record.

Edited: 10/05/2020 at 02:38 PM by scombrid
 10/05/2020 05:46 PM

scombrid

Originally posted by: tom Mass balance people. Tons of nitrogen and phosphorus from food (think wastewater) and fertilizer trucked into IRL watershed. No equal and opposite mechanism to remove it. Hot on the left, cold on the right, shit flows downhill. The Lagoon is the bottom of the hill. Any wonder that all that extra nitrogen and phosphorus are eutrophying the system? Nothing complicated about it. Same old story all around the country and world for that matter. Same solutions too.
Yeah, we've been lucky that the lagoon was so resilient and took so long to flip to the altered stable state of plankton dominance that wrecked Long Island Sound, the Chesapeake Bay, and damn near every big lake in Florida already. All that kept the lagoon from flipping sooner was that it was a fairly small catchment so it received less total runoff relative to its size than the waters that flipped sooner.

10/05/2020 05:51 PM

scombrid

Of course the lagoon is now suffering from excessive salinity during dry spells because the small watershed has been paved over enough that the fresh water supply has gotten too flashy. The water comes all at once when it rains and the water that comes is full of crap. Then during the dry spell there is no groundwater feed to the lagoon so it gets saltier than the ocean. That is fouling up the balance of what plankton and plants want to grow too. My neighbor is a great example of that problem. Her yard turned a little brown when it got cold at the end of January. So she stupidly increased water more and more. The more she watered her semi-dormant St. Auggie the browner it got. She killed it. Our going salty so she's got fungus and salty dirt. Only bright side to that is that enough wells are going salty around here that people that aren't on reclaimed water have to switch to something other than St. Augustine grass.

FORUMS : Fishing : What Happened to the River?

1 2 3 4 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146493 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .