Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Biden core campaign promises...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/05/2021 11:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/05/2021 11:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Shot down by fellow Democrats in spite of a brave fight from Bernie Sanders.

How it started: "Along with almost every other Democratic presidential hopeful, Joe Biden called for a $15 minimum wage during the 2020 campaign.

Biden said his administration would "increase the federal minimum wage to $15 across the country and eliminate the minimum tipped wage." "

How it's going: "White House press secretary Jen Psaki said President Biden and his team are not in conversations or negotiations about lowering the threshold for the minimum wage after the Senate voted against Sen. Bernie Sanders' amendment to raise the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour. "

-------------------------
Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 03/05/2021 12:02 PM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Does anyone else find it odd that Florida bypassed the GOP governor, GOP state senate, GOP state house and got the 15 minimum wage passed with a constitutional amendment? The state Democratic Party didn't talk about and it passed under the radar. Now the rest of the nation is debating this and out very own Rubio snd scott are dead set against it. Meanwhile, the senator from the most depressed economy in the entire country, West Virginia, is against it.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

03/05/2021 12:04 PM

Cole

"White House press secretary Jen Psaki said President Biden and his team are not in conversations or negotiations about lowering the threshold for the minimum wage after the Senate voted against Sen. Bernie Sanders' amendment to raise the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour. "

This says they are sticking with the $15, does it not?

I was right.
 03/05/2021 12:33 PM

RustyTruck

I take it to mean that Biden was not in any conversations or negotiations to support Senator Sander's bill which would have waved the parliamentarian's objection to it's inclusion in the stimulus bill-

"The Senate voted 58 to 42 against an attempt to waive a procedural objection against adding the wage provision to the $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief bill. The overwhelming vote raises doubts whether Biden will be able to raise the federal minimum wage to $15 at any point in his first term."

Basically Biden was silent as the Pugs and a handful of Dems basically tossed out one of his primary election promises. Am I wrong on that?

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

Edited: 03/05/2021 at 12:34 PM by RustyTruck
 03/05/2021 01:15 PM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

I was hoping Biden would just Trump his all legislation and appointments through
 03/05/2021 02:30 PM

Cole

The president doesn't control the money, congress does.

Is it worth the effort to include the $15 and have the whole bill fail or get one through and work on the next?

Democrats need more people in the Senate for there to be a chance at increasing the minimum wage. A direct 50-50 split won't work.

I was right.
 03/06/2021 10:55 AM

johnnyboy

Covid bill passes.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

03/06/2021 12:07 PM

RustyTruck

Originally posted by: Cole

Is it worth the effort to include the $15 and have the whole bill fail or get one through and work on the next?

Democrats need more people in the Senate for there to be a chance at increasing the minimum wage. A direct 50-50 split won't work.

Pugs would have got it done. Dems aren't good at politics.

He ran on 15/2000 and got zip/means tested 1400.

The promise he's living up to is
"nothing is going to fundamentally change"

03/06/2021 12:34 PM

nukeh2o

Joined Forum: 03/18/2016

The covid bill passed.
Biden is very, very good at the give and take in our system of governance.
Krusty sez the rechumpflicans would have passed it with the minimum wage thang?
That's a big fat nyetski.
The chumpfscum don't pass anything that doesn't enrich them and their fascist globalists. Period.
Biden has senator sanders onboard. And they will make steady incremental progress toward undoing the awful things done to our society and our economy.
Aka: effective mutual benefit governance. Instead of fucking obstruction of any and all improvements.

It's a democratic hoax
 03/06/2021 12:40 PM

Cole

Originally posted by: RustyTruck

Originally posted by: Cole

Pugs would have got it done. Dems aren't good at politics.

He ran on 15/2000 and got zip/means tested 1400.

The promise he's living up to is

"nothing is going to fundamentally change"

The $15 would have failed, two Democrats planned to vote against it, as did all Republicans.

Democrats need more people in the Senate to take the WV clown out of the picture if there is to be any hope of an increased minimum wage.

I was right.
 03/07/2021 06:32 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

And you believe anything that psucky says!! Coleslaw award for gullibility!!

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 03/07/2021 06:41 AM

Cole

Originally posted by: crankit

And you believe anything that psucky says!! Coleslaw award for gullibility!!

What?

I was right.
 03/07/2021 10:25 AM

RustyTruck

I'm sure the voters will understand in 2022. I mean everyone knows campaign promises are bullshit, right?

03/08/2021 05:10 AM

Cole

Was the fact that Bernie's amendment was shot down in the Senate Biden's fault?

I realize that most Americans don't pay much attention to what actually happens - you included - but a fact is a fact.

http://www.newsweek.com/11-hou...-senate-record-1574253

I was right.
 03/08/2021 06:18 AM

johnnyboy

From Politico: The White House said they were going to pass a $1.9 trillion package and then they did it," said Zac Petkanas, whose outside group, Invest in America, was formed to help Biden muscle the legislation through, and then continue to sell it. "They had a disciplined message, ignored Washington naysayers in order to speak directly to the American people, didn't buckle under pressure to cut some weak-kneed deal with Republicans and kept the Democratic caucuses united. That's some damn fine work."

03/08/2021 06:52 AM

RustyTruck

Bernie was the one willing to fight for 15. Maybe people will decide it wasn't that big a deal, who knows. But recall it was a campaign promise from all Dem candidates running in 2020.

"This reconciliation bill does not include an increase in the minimum wage to $15 an hour," Sanders said in a speech prior to the vote. "In my view, it should have. I think the parliamentarian was dead wrong, but more importantly, it is an absurd process that we allow an unelected staffer - somebody who works for the Senate not elected by anybody - to make a decision as to whether 30 million Americans get a pay raise or not."

03/08/2021 07:07 AM

Greensleeves

Damn russki thinks the $15 thing is over. Seriously comrade are you that obtuse?

Joe out thought and out politicallized your boy and Qrump at every turn. You think that's over for the QOP?

Jeez f-ing pay attention to something other than your youtube pinko feeds.

Edited: 03/08/2021 at 07:10 AM by Greensleeves
 03/08/2021 07:26 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

If they wouldn't come up with stupid ideas, they might make it into law. Simple as that.

I :heart; Q
 03/08/2021 07:59 AM

RustyTruck

Originally posted by: Greensleeves

Damn russki thinks the $15 thing is over. Seriously comrade are you that obtuse?

Joe out thought and out politicallized your boy and Qrump at every turn. You think that's over for the QOP?

Jeez f-ing pay attention to something other than your youtube pinko feeds.

Joe did nothing but show up and have a pulse. You really are a fan boy aren't you? Obtuse indeed.

03/08/2021 08:06 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Originally posted by: RustyTruck
Originally posted by: Greensleeves Damn russki thinks the $15 thing is over. Seriously comrade are you that obtuse? Joe out thought and out politicallized your boy and Qrump at every turn. You think that's over for the QOP? Jeez f-ing pay attention to something other than your youtube pinko feeds.
Joe did nothing but show up and have a pulse. You really are a fan boy aren't you? Obtuse indeed.
You can see, perhaps, why I think progs are stupid.

I :heart; Q
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .