Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Playa Colorado
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/08/2011 09:07 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/08/2011 09:07 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

FishtaiL

Joined Forum: 12/12/2010

trying to plan a trip. suggestions?

-------------------------

.Earlier The Better

07/08/2011 09:13 AM

FinGuru

Joined Forum: 05/26/2011

stay in hacienda iguana, unless you want to take a boat to surf colorados everyday....the golf condos are super nice...everything in hacienda iguana is very nice actually....within the gates they got the NSR surf shop, and bar above it. There is a bar on the beach too....all for guests of hacienda iguana...definitely very nice and safe
 07/08/2011 09:17 AM

co14ers

Joined Forum: 06/24/2011

sorry dude, no playa here.

yeah, I'm that guy...
 07/08/2011 09:51 AM

spindlebeak

Joined Forum: 10/30/2008

I went there this spring and loved it from a beach/surf standpoint.  Booked thru NSR (Nicaragua Surf Report), which I do not recommend.  They sell you on a level of service that wasnt delivered. (cut our unlimited water off, generator didnt work, sold us on a boat trip to a spot the swell angle didnt work for, etc) 

If/when I go back I will be staying at Mark and Dave's.  It is also within Hacienda Iguana (you definitely want to stay in the neighborhood for the reason previously mentioned) and is right in front of Panga Drop's, which is a really fun but shifty a-frame reef break with long walls and inside barrel sections.  Always a few feet bigger than anything in the area, but also a pretty long paddle.  There isnt anything at that end of the beach, so staying there is nice for when you want to surf Panga's.  Colorado's is a 10-15 minute walk down to the south end of the beach.  There is a new beach club right in front of the wave where you have shade, food/drink and a pool.  Gives a nice spot to post up when you opt for the thumping, close to shore barrels of Colorado's.

The biggest reason I would go to Mark and Dave's is that we lost power EVERY day during our week long stay.  Some of it was due to outages in their less then ideal power grid, but most of it is planned to conserve their lacking power supply.  We supposedly had a generator but it failed, causing us to lose our groceries. (the store is 45 minutes away)  We knew Mark and Dave's was the spot when everywhere in the neighborhood was dark but for their full set up with surf videos and hot food going down.  Apparently it used to be the club house for the neighborhood so they have a huge commercial generator.

Other big draw back here is there are only two restaurants within the neighborhood.  One being the beach club which has breakfast and lunch and the other is a pizza shop all the way at the front of the neighborhood.   Another reason having a cook on site would be nice.

Other than that, enjoy yourself.  Be prepared for offshore winds, thumping barrels, sick sunsets and a whole lot of relaxation.

07/08/2011 10:06 AM

spindlebeak

view from the point back to the south.  pangas is the horseshoe wave in the foreground, colorados at the south end of the same beach...

playa colorado.jpg
playa colorado.jpg  (226 KB)
 07/08/2011 10:11 AM

spindlebeak

view from the colorado's beach club and a view of panga's from Mark and Dave's...

colorados1.jpg
colorados1.jpg  (232 KB)
pangas1.jpg
pangas1.jpg  (247 KB)
 07/08/2011 11:55 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

If you go to this area of Nica and you do not have all day everyday boat access, you will really miss out. Swell angle, tide, wind and variety of break are all enhanced (or over come) with a boat. ( and a guide that knows where to go and when )

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 07/09/2011 04:43 AM

nicacondo

Joined Forum: 05/24/2011

Staying at Hacienda Iguana is the best way by far. Wide variety of housing options - condos, houses, rooms for rent.  Mark & Daves is the old community clubhouse.  They do take care of everything but it is most expensive option. You can rent a house/condo and hire a guide/cook for A LOT less.  Condo and house prices vary depending on their location.  The further the walk, the cheaper the rate.  We own a unit that sits right on Colorados and the new beach club so it tends to rent on the higher side (see photo below).   We also have connections with a local guide who provides transportation, food, and boat trips.   Our website (www.playacoloradocondo.com) has a map of Hacienda Iguana so you can see where all the housing options are located and decide for yourself.  Would be glad to offer advice to anyone interested even if you don't stay in our place.  We try to help out our fellow Central Floridians one way or another (we live in Daytona).  Been going down there since 2001.   Shoot me an email and I'll be glad answer any questions about Hacienda Iguana/Nicaragua.

playacoloradocondo@me.com    

Edited: 07/09/2011 at 04:55 AM by nicacondo
 07/09/2011 06:19 AM

Tiptime

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Mark and Dave's

The Wavecaster
 07/09/2011 06:24 AM

Cyborg Chaperone

Joined Forum: 11/26/2006

Christ. Those waves were in my dreams last night.

What kind of budget do ya need to have if you bring 2-3 other surfers? Any cheaper than Costa?
 07/09/2011 07:30 AM

FishtaiL

yah cyborg, thats what im trying to figure out. costa or nica.. Cheapest and best waves.

.Earlier The Better

07/09/2011 07:37 AM

inthesoup

Joined Forum: 01/31/2006

There are a lot of breaks that are as fun as Colorado's (if not more depending on the swell). I surfed Colorado's 2 days ago by boat and there were 45 guys on the main peak. If you stay in the Colorado's area you also limit yourself a bit as far as wave variety and it is quite the trek to town (Rivas or San Juan del Sur). The last two trips we have stayed South at Mango Rosa Resort 6km outside of San Juan del Sur on the road to Playa Maderas. They have a great all inclusive surf deal and their own boat. Great place to hang out between sessions and plenty of activities to keep you and your chica entertained. Worth checking out and will give you a much better feel for Nicaragua outside the gated communities.
 07/11/2011 06:46 AM

spindlebeak

Nica is a little cheaper than Costa, but only marginally so.  I enjoyed it, especially the offshores most of the day, but for my dollar I prefer Costa.  

I wouldnt worry about the crowds at Colorado's if you stay there.  We stayed right next door to Mark and Dave's and we just watched the pangas bring surfers in.  If the boats were at Colorado's we went to Panga Drops and vice versa.  Never surfed with more than 6-8 other people.  Also never got bored with two very different and damn good waves within a few minute walk...

07/11/2011 07:39 AM

shreaded

Joined Forum: 05/15/2007

I've been 3 times and i HIGHLY recommend renting a huge house at Rancho Santana. you have access to 3 diff waves at rancho's, and just drive to the very south end of rancho, park on the beach, and you are directly in front of panga drops. simply walk 5 0 10 mins to colorado's. if you stay at iguana, you can surf colorados everyday (panga's is a shit wave in my opinion) and staying at rancho you have access to all their facilities, plus panga's and Colorado's. concierge desk in the main restaurant/bar and they will have a boat for you in 20 mins. not to mention you have pretty much a mansion with a fully catered staff to cook, do your laundry, and get "anything else you might need". tell your house lady and dude wether you want fish, chicken, or pork for lunch and by the time you get back to the house, you'll have the best lunch ever. every day for $10 for the whole thing. we've stayed at 3 different places, and i HIGHLY recommend "casa Ford" her is the crib from last year.

view form the back porch

guest house

view of Panga's and Colo's from the lookout in rancho

ask for Nestor. he's the guy at rancho.
 07/11/2011 07:45 AM

FishtaiL

Looks Sick! and expensive. hah

.Earlier The Better

07/11/2011 07:46 AM

shreaded

actually, we had 5 guys, 10 days and it was $225 per person for the entire trip. very cheap.........
 07/11/2011 10:42 AM

FishtaiL

damn, not bad at all. now what airline would you suggest? jet blue? did you bring your own boards?

.Earlier The Better

07/11/2011 11:08 AM

shreaded

we flew AA out of Tampa. we had 2 coffins with 4 boards in each, didn't get charged on the way to nica. and $50 per coffin on the way back. rented a 4 door P/U and Nestor from rancho met us at the airport, and drove out car to rancho for us. stopped by his crib on the way, grabbed his cooler, and loaded up at the supermercado with supplies and beer. (no open container shit at all, obviously) then, he drives us back to the airport, handles turning in the rental car for us and wishes us on our way. try and find that service anywhere else.
 07/11/2011 02:07 PM

spindlebeak

Spirit has direct flights to Managua depending on where you are flying from.  Flew direct from Fort Lauderdale for around $350 purchased day of the flight.  Usually in the low $200's.  Was supposed to fly from Miami on AA but fuel fires ended that plan.  I think their board charge is $100 for up to 2 boards.   

You can also, if you dont need the car, get transfers from the airport for around $80 which isnt too bad if you are splitting amongst a crew.  Make sure you stop for groceries on the way in, unless you do an all inclusive, because it is a good 45 minute drive to a grocery store which costs close to $100 for a ride if you dont rent a car...

07/11/2011 02:17 PM

zangmann

Joined Forum: 01/12/2009

spindlebeak

What flights did you take? All the flights i was looking at on Spirit are like at Midnight or 5AM? Is that correct??

FORUMS : Surfing : Playa Colorado

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146510 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .