Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: New Pool
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/07/2020 05:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/07/2020 05:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

wtf

Joined Forum: 11/23/2005

Experiences? Things are tight with pool builders but curious who did your pool, did you like who you worked with and why. TIA

-------------------------
QOP = Terrorists
FK = Gay
 08/12/2020 04:05 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I got a pool dug 20 years ago. Experience was bad with the builder. However, I'm very happy I have a pool. Think about maintenance. I do all of the pool cleaning and chemistry work. It can take up some of your time. If you are going farm it out then it can cost money.
 08/12/2020 05:45 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

https://www.2ndlight.com/fusetalk/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=196974&enterthread=y

In For sale section, about twenty comments full of what your looking for.
 08/12/2020 12:32 PM

wtf

Originally posted by: TATTOO74

https://www.2ndlight.com/fusetalk/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=196974&enterthread=y

In For sale section, about twenty comments full of what your looking for.

Damn - didn't look there! Thx

QOP = Terrorists
FK = Gay
 08/12/2020 12:39 PM

wtf

Originally posted by: Central Floridave

I got a pool dug 20 years ago. Experience was bad with the builder. However, I'm very happy I have a pool. Think about maintenance. I do all of the pool cleaning and chemistry work. It can take up some of your time. If you are going farm it out then it can cost money.

Thanks for input. I'll be doing most of it on my own - I like doing stuff myself. I have kids that are stoked to help out as well and it's a good way for them to earn a few bucks.

They also have these self clean pool systems that are pretty cool. They are pop ups that sit in the bottom of the pool and push the dirt to a central area. Something like 4k to add in. But likely will go with higher end auto pool cleaner.

QOP = Terrorists
FK = Gay
 08/12/2020 12:59 PM

surfin1980

Joined Forum: 10/24/2003

Had a friend do some work himself, and sub out everything he could not; it still cost him $2K more than the local contractors. Issue is, only two large companies on Brevard, Volusia and Vero supply and distribute the marcite. This is ultimately what has you waiting if you do it yourself, or one of the smaller companies, whom do not do large volume. I used Intercoastal two years ago, and am happy with their work. Subbed only the deck material and install myself. Don't do the pop up floor cleaners, they are a $2500 waste of money. Yes, they move the debris at bottom of pool around, but not entirely into drains. Invest rather into a great pool vacuum. 25'x15' rectangle pool, without screen enclosure. Palms and oak trees close to pool, keep me busy once a week for 10 minutes to empty vacuum and put in chemicals. Testing done at local pool store. Hope all this helps!
 08/12/2020 01:21 PM

wtf

Originally posted by: surfin1980

Had a friend do some work himself, and sub out everything he could not; it still cost him $2K more than the local contractors. Issue is, only two large companies on Brevard, Volusia and Vero supply and distribute the marcite. This is ultimately what has you waiting if you do it yourself, or one of the smaller companies, whom do not do large volume. I used Intercoastal two years ago, and am happy with their work. Subbed only the deck material and install myself. Don't do the pop up floor cleaners, they are a $2500 waste of money. Yes, they move the debris at bottom of pool around, but not entirely into drains. Invest rather into a great pool vacuum. 25'x15' rectangle pool, without screen enclosure. Palms and oak trees close to pool, keep me busy once a week for 10 minutes to empty vacuum and put in chemicals. Testing done at local pool store. Hope all this helps!

Thanks! Intercoastal is probably going to end up being who I go with, but getting estimates from others as well. They have done several pools here and everyone has had good things to say.

That is what I hear about the in pool cleaners too. So just going to invest in a good auto cleaner instead.

Thx again for info.

QOP = Terrorists
FK = Gay
 08/12/2020 05:34 PM

paddleout

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

Intercoastal Pools did mine almost 20 years ago, and I still use them when I have a service issue. so worth checking them out for sure.

I had a unique design in mind, and had to struggle with them a tad on the design, but they did it and the pool is solid 20 years later.

A couple things I would do differently:

#1) If you are a skateboarder, I would build a swim/skate pool. Drain it in the cooler months and have fun skating it. You won't be swimming in it anyway. I think Team Pain is building these, and supposedly there'a a guy in Satellite doing it too.

#2) If you do a SPA, I would plumb it separately from the main pool (no "spillover") and use an electric heater + cover. keeping it hot all the time. Propane and the gas companies are a pain in the ass.

#3) Consider doing #2 just a bit bigger (more room) and skipping the "pool" 99% of the time I'm in the heated spa, and don't bother with the actual pool. The ocean is my "pool" It would be nice to have an always hot and ready spa with lots of room.

Things to DO:

#1) The Salt Chlorine generator is worth all the cost. Makes things WAY easier. You'd be surprised how quickly your pool turns green without it, and how much of a headache it is to maintain manually.

#2) Skip those water "test kits" just use the strips. Way easier.

#3) Use as few pumps as possible. Mine is an old design with 3 frikkin pumps: one for the main filtration system, one for the spa "jets" (they suck) and one for the "main waterfall" (could be part of the main pump)

The less pumps you have, the less there is to break and replace. Right now, I've blown off the waterfall and jet pumps. they are just sitting there rusted out. At least $1000 to replace for no real good reason.

#4) Go with a color changing LED light. no moving parts and pretty cool. Works best if the pool surface color is light, and not dark.

#5) Go with an in-floor cleaning system. They are great. The best ones rotate as well as jet water (like a sprinkler) Mine only jets water and that leaves
"dead zones" where sand collects on the bottom.

You don't want an in-floor cleaning system if you build a swim/skate for obvious reasons.

#6) The "Aqualink" touch panels are worth getting. It's basically a CAT5 connected touchpad in your house that goes back to your outside service panel so you dont have to walk outside to change from pool to spa or do whatever else you want to do. Mine is old and uses cat5. I believe they have wifi enabled ones now that use your home wifi and lets you also control from your phone- so you can make adjustments from where ever via the internet.

The valves are automatically controlled/moved using Jandy electrical/automatic actuators. pretty cool.

Edited: 08/12/2020 at 05:47 PM by paddleout
 08/13/2020 10:13 AM

chopola

Joined Forum: 09/04/2004

I got a kick out of "the kids are gonna help out " part.
FORUMS : NPNR : New Pool

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .