Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Personal hurricane shelter
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/28/2020 03:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/28/2020 03:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

retired45

Joined Forum: 08/03/2010

I am thinking about using a shipping container on my property as a hurricane shelter. Our house is at grade and can flood from the St Johns River, and it is also covered with large Live Oaks that will eventually blow down. We have a place on higher ground and out from the trees as a location. I am looking for a licensed contractor that works on shipping containers. We have considered a block building, but I think I have more confidence in steel. I am looking for someone to do the heavy work and I will do the finish work.

-------------------------
Dads who change diapers
change the world
 07/28/2020 05:53 PM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Interesting, Don't know but just asking, won't steel be a lightning rod? I've ridden out many hurricanes. Lightning happens!

07/28/2020 08:04 PM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

If you live beach side a bunker does no good. You'll be on your own and there is no medical help.
 07/29/2020 04:03 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Against Code in most areas.... Good luck getting a permit, I tried for my halfpipe cause I has so much $ in it...no luck...denied

Edited: 07/30/2020 at 06:20 AM by SurferMic
 07/29/2020 08:07 AM

retired45

Joined Forum: 08/03/2010

Not worried about lightning, there are lots of metal buildings around. Proper grounding is the key. I live about ten miles inland, so it won't be 'beach side bunker', just a place above flooding and away from tree overhang. A shipping container can be converted to residential or commercial space. There are several in the area. I just want something on a smaller scale.

I have found several pre-made storm shelters ready to set and anchor, but they are not really conducive to a longer term stay. I want something we can live in while the house is being repaired/replaced. A 100 to 200 sq ft concrete building built up several feet and with a low angle roof would work.

Dads who change diapers
change the world
 07/29/2020 08:29 AM

SurferMic

"A shipping container can be converted to residential or commercial space. There are several in the area"....Are they legal? ..I have dealt w/ Code Enforcement, let's just say "I fought the law and the law won"...Good Luck,

Edited: 07/30/2020 at 06:19 AM by SurferMic
 07/29/2020 01:52 PM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Originally posted by: retired45 A 100 to 200 sq ft concrete building built up several feet and with a low angle roof would work.
I knew someone who built a concrete block one on his property like this. raised foundation up a few feet. And at this side, you could probably afford to fill the blocks as well..... solid concrete with rebar. if that's not strong enough we're all fuct....
 07/29/2020 03:47 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

fishkller

Joined Forum: 11/13/2016

You are much better off with block.

There is probably a way to do a cement roof on it that won't/can't come off.

Plus you can design the layout to your needs.

If it were me, I'd go concrete all the way:

http://www.icfmag.com/2008/08/sloped-concrete-roofs/

http://kinleyfl.com/project/ic...t-home-indialantic-fl/

When America was "great"

Edited: 07/29/2020 at 04:03 PM by fishkller
 07/29/2020 05:10 PM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Need good anchors. I've seen a lot of vehicles (think RV and tractor trailers) tip over in the wind. You might also be able to acquire something like an old school bus cheap, and refurb that. Bonus if it runs and you can move it. Its engine can turn a generator...

Railroad cars can also be interesting. NASA used to have a bunch of insulated, refrigerated RR boxcars at KSC they converted into offices.

As far as protection and insulation, you could also build a giant soil mound around it. That would hold it in place and help keep it cool. Or hot, depending...

Either way, post pix when you're done!
 07/30/2020 04:19 AM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

If you decide to build definitely consider ICF construction. It is literally bomb proof. I have it on my house and the walls are are 12" thick, with a center of 8" of reinforced 3000+psi concrete (normal construction concrete used for driveways and such). But you can spec 4000pis or 5000psi concrete if you REALLY want to make it strong.
With ICF it is possible to have a concrete roof or steel trussed roof or make a heavy concrete cap for a smaller panic room. The cost delta between block and ICF seems to run about 20% more, so on a small building it might not be that much more in real dollars.

Add a split air conditioner and restroom and it could double as a guest house or mother in laws quarters. That could be cool.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 07/30/2020 04:31 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Twelve inch thick walls? Steel roof? Add a door that only opens from the outside and I'd say you have the perfect mother in law suite!

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 07/30/2020 06:55 AM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I wish you would have told me that sooner!!
LOL

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 08/03/2020 02:56 PM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

"Don't know but just asking, won't steel be a lightning rod?" Grounded--faraday cage, same as a grounding plate on a sailboat.

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 08/03/2020 04:40 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

fishkller

Joined Forum: 11/13/2016

I agree with bamboo: you might as well pour the whole thing solid crete, roof and all. See the links I posted re: ICF.

There's a house in indialantic on ocean ave just south of longboard house being set up for this now. Don't know if they are going to do a concrete roof, but in Guam they make the entire house poured crete.

When America was "great"
 08/09/2020 12:00 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Concrete roofs are good. Lived under two of them in PR as a kid. Lightning? A direct hit on my neighborhood two weeks ago did substantial electrical damage to the next door neighbor and the house across the street. For some reason, no problem here. I don't think the steel roof was protective. In North Carolina, there is considerable suspicion of Florida wind-resistance building practices. They are unlikely to reach cat-4 and the physical flexibility of wood seems to work to advantage. The local paper today had an ad for hurricane windows featuring that house at Mexico Beach that survived more or less unscathed while almost everything else was wrecked. Helped that it was elevated above likely storm surge.
 08/09/2020 02:06 PM

The Political Thinker

Joined Forum: 06/14/2004

Originally posted by: SurferMic

Against Code in most areas.... Good luck getting a permit, I tried for my halfpipe cause I has so much $ in it...no luck...denied

any "shed" under 200sq ft you dont need a permit. so a shipping container can be a "shed"

scientia potentia est

08/11/2020 07:27 AM

SurferMic

Not sure the OP was speaking about a shed, more like a Container you see on Rail Cars or the back of big rigs. I would not want to weather a 'cane in a small shed with the family and pets, that would not be fun...The large ones require permits and if you hook it up to electricity and attach it to the main line (plumbing) more permits and inspections...it can be done w/o but you risk loosing a ton of $ if/when they find out through the coconut telegraph or the high tech airial pics some counties takes for their records (computer algor. compares old pics to new pics and identifies/flags new structures)...I fought for a variance and lost, faced a huge fine and had to quickly remove my structure...lost a ton of cash invested in it but knew the risk going in, Got the OK from ALL my neighbors before the build, but over time neighbors move out (the cool ones) and new ones move in...one "report" and it was over.

Edited: 08/11/2020 at 07:34 AM by SurferMic
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .