Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Kelly Slater's new brand Outerknown
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/15/2015 08:27 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/15/2015 12:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

vertseven

Joined Forum: 07/27/2003

Again, this company is not competing with Quiksilver, Billabong, or even Patagonia. This is not a surf brand, just surf inspired. He's competing with Armani, Michael Kors, and Saint Laurent.

-------------------------
"Surfing is like pizza. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good." - I said that

Help preserve our oceans for generations to come. surfrider.org
 07/15/2015 12:55 PM

vertseven

Joined Forum: 07/27/2003

These are the type of boardshorts that you find on Ocean Drive. Mainly the same boutique that will be selling Outerknwn clothing. And they sell. A lot. I grew up in Miami and Miami Beach. The amount of money that people spend on crap is unbelievable.

"Surfing is like pizza. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good." - I said that

Help preserve our oceans for generations to come. surfrider.org
 07/15/2015 01:34 PM

gbnfl2

Joined Forum: 01/28/2015

If you ever see me in a $695 Alexander McQueen TShirt, punch me in the nuts and steal my wallet!

07/15/2015 03:26 PM

TipTyme

Joined Forum: 12/20/2013

Right, I'm with vertseven on this, for the most part. And with regard to previous comment, Kelly's promoting on insta doesn't, by necessity, mean he is thinking anywhere near the majority of his followers will buy, and that's simply not the point. A lot of Kelly's fanbase (surfers) appear to believe that they are the target demographic, which, if true, would give them reason to be upset by his misunderstanding of them and their means.I too would love to think the champ only thinks about us average surfers, always.That just doesn't seem to be the case. But who knows, maybe he'll end up with massive yuppy profits that would have otherwise gone to Michael Kors or something, and use em for some good. Maybe, just maybe, benefiting us average surfers in some way or another...

07/15/2015 04:08 PM

Bev

Joined Forum: 02/14/2015

Originally posted by: vertseven He's selling men's high fashion. It's not a surf brand nor is it for surfers. Notice that the only store in Florida is in Miami. This is targeted at guys that wear ostrich leather slippers and far-too-much cologne. I don't see it suffering. Just not what most of us in Brevard County care for. And that's okay. Because he's cashing in.

well, ya know, thanks for that insightful reminder. given that is probably the simply truth of the matter,, I change my mind, he will probably do very well just serving that demo. surf-on Kell !! 

07/15/2015 05:40 PM

doppler

Joined Forum: 08/23/2006

I just placed an order. There's a High End Market. This fit's into nicely.
 07/15/2015 06:10 PM

Av8Surf

Joined Forum: 09/05/2014

True.  Maybe his reputation.  Not his butt.  

I dont get his "sustainablity" marketing campaign.  Stuff made with recycled nylon in Peru.  

Trading Surfboards for Bitcoin or Ethereum.

Send me Bitcoin 1Dk8oJnprZfvXGDfZpxkuoko8SSVf5Tpp2

Boards For Sale: SUPs 11 foot and 12 foot BRAND NEW. Fair prices.
 07/15/2015 06:36 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Outerknown is part of a successful luxury outfit, which operates in environments that most of us never come close to.  Even Vineyard Vines (store at the Gardens mall in Palm Beach County) would be closer to the ordinary public.  

I somehow got mailed a QOR catalog. What struck me was the models--almost all very, very Anglo, seemingly looking like young tech execs with degrees from Stanford.  

Then there's "cold water surfing" at an English outfit that offers good wool clothing, including good socks that were pretty cheap on sale.  Finisterre.  They'd like to sell you a wetsuit.

Then there's made in USA retro Hawaii.  M.Nii.  Nice, but Balsa Bill's cotton board shorts are 

07/15/2015 07:00 PM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

Originally posted by: dingpatch Beanie, T-Shirt. WTF! Yes. But, what is so different between that and paying the same "high" price for a CI board?

At least you can surf a CI. What can you do with a beanie and a t-shirt?

07/16/2015 05:26 AM

MoonDog

Joined Forum: 07/21/2004

Originally posted by: gbnfl2 If you ever see me in a $695 Alexander McQueen TShirt, punch me in the nuts and steal my wallet!

That's some funny shit!!! My wife and her boy friend that has a boy friend..haha bought me (cant think of designer name but unbelievably $$$ gaudy!!) T-shirt once...it sets in the closet. I haven't looked at Kellys line yet... God I hope they don't have rhinestones!!
 07/16/2015 06:29 AM

skatensurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2006

Originally posted by: TipTyme

Right, I'm with vertseven on this, for the most part. And with regard to previous comment, Kelly's promoting on insta doesn't, by necessity, mean he is thinking anywhere near the majority of his followers will buy, and that's simply not the point. A lot of Kelly's fanbase (surfers) appear to believe that they are the target demographic, which, if true, would give them reason to be upset by his misunderstanding of them and their means.I too would love to think the champ only thinks about us average surfers, always.That just doesn't seem to be the case. But who knows, maybe he'll end up with massive yuppy profits that would have otherwise gone to Michael Kors or something, and use em for some good. Maybe, just maybe, benefiting us average surfers in some way or another...

But when your fanbase is the reason you have the platform to create a clothing company, and then you're constantly telling them how great it's gonna be, and then you make something that's double what the majority of them could ever pay for clothing, that's a little messed up to me.

I get that it's not a surf brand, I understood that before the launch. I was looking through Kelly's insta comments and a guy wrote that he had money saved away anticipating that the clothes would be expensive, and he still didn't save enough for this price point. You could go on a trip to costa for a week for the price of an outfit.
 07/16/2015 06:42 AM

TipTyme

Joined Forum: 12/20/2013

the surfing image has always been more marketable than surfing itself. Kelly's appeal is to a much broader base than just surfers, and it's not his fault that some guy who can't afford to buy this particular brand of shirt or whatever spends his money on the shirt instead of a surf trip; that's kind of up to that guy and a reflection on him, not Kelly. 

07/16/2015 07:27 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

You Knew how rich guys get rich and save their money?  One is they don't but $200 pants or $80 tee shirts.  

07/16/2015 09:02 AM

dkaye

Joined Forum: 08/19/2007

this aggression will not stand.

https://www.instagram.com/dj_kaye_/

07/16/2015 09:14 AM

USofwhatever

Joined Forum: 07/12/2014

Outerknown could definitely work.  not only is it higher end clothing but it is not made in sweatshops. Clothes cost more to make when you are actually paying people to make them. Im sure theyre marked up quite a bit as they are marketed to higher end consumers, but these rich people might actually love it if its marketed right. Its sustainable and its made under fair labor standards. Its kinda like a "blood free diamond". Rich people with lots of money like this kind of shit. I think its going to do fine. The Kering Group isnt a billion dollar company by chance. They know what theyre doing. As far as Kelly goes. Im not sure why hed move away from surfers to high end fashion. 

07/16/2015 12:01 PM

Rippinryan247

Joined Forum: 04/17/2012

Does Kelly have a lot of control in the company or is he just the face of it? Was it his idea to make it a luxury brand? If it was his idea to turn it into a luxury brand I'm not so sure he is doing it to just save our earth/ocean. I say this bc targeting the small % of the rich won't make a huge difference in the actual problem at hand. Not to mention rich people tend to use/waste more resources than others. If he would've targeted surfers or higher end coastal wear he could've made a much bigger impact, which this whole thing is supposed to be about right? I wish him the best of luck but I hope he didn't invest too much of his own money into this.

Go Gators
 07/16/2015 01:59 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Affluent or not, it's worth checking clearance sales for good clothes made in USA, and it can be worth looking for clearance sales.  I have good items from Balsa Bill (full price, made in Florida), M.Nii, Katin, several others.  

07/16/2015 03:42 PM

UncleFunk

Joined Forum: 08/30/2010

You guys are crazy! H8rs gonna H8! This stuff is super unique, functional, loves the environment, and is a must have. You can't find these looks at the Gap, J. Crew, American Eagle or whatever other brand you can think of... it's a totally unique look. The world is about to change and Kelly's not concerned with the haters on IG or 2ndlight. Sit back and watch. This will be his legacy. No more 11-world-tour-title-Kelly Slater from small town Cocoa Beach! It will be sustainable fashionista Kelly Slater and preppy chic menswear. I can't wait to see it in Ross and TJMaxx.

/end sarcasm

07/16/2015 03:55 PM

rippinsurfer01

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

Personally, I am disappointed. I hope he gets a great return on investment but it's a disservice to the youth that look up to him. Appealing to kids that they needed (to have their parents shell out for) $60 dollar quiksilver baggies that stretched five ways to Friday was bad enough but this is next level.
The last thing I would be doing if I had the disposable funds to purchase that stuff would be standing in line to purchase a $100 T-shirt. If someone wants to do something good for society and they have that type of $$$, they should start a charity. There are plenty of starving people right here in Brevard.
Wearing a thousand dollar outfit that looks like was purchased from goodwill on the auspices that it comes from recycled plastic is just hipster vanity shrouded in charity.

Anything the mind can concieve and believe it can achieve
 07/16/2015 07:20 PM

doppler

Joined Forum: 08/23/2006

It's simple. If it's too expensive for you, buy something less expensive.
That's why we have K Marts and Dillards. Something for everyone.
It's not a moral issue.
It's a "Price Point."

"I think I'll take it or leave it."
Neil Young
FORUMS : Surfing : Kelly Slater's new brand Outerknown

<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146493 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .