Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Snook Season
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/02/2020 08:08 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/02/2020 08:08 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Anybody get theirs yet!?

I got my snook stamp and am trying to get one in duval/st johns county, but if I keep busting may have to strike down to brevard, so far only a couple shorts at about 25" on mullet and plugs

-------------------------
I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 09/02/2020 10:07 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Originally posted by: stokedpanda Anybody get theirs yet!? I got my snook stamp and am trying to get one in duval/st johns county, but if I keep busting may have to strike down to brevard, so far only a couple shorts at about 25" on mullet and plugs
While we can get them up here occasionally.... Flagler County seems to be the cutoff
 09/02/2020 10:37 AM

stokedpanda

yea it is tough for me to find spots from shore down there as most bridges are either crowded/bad access.

09/02/2020 11:57 AM

Plan B

yeah, I havent renewed my snook stamp in a LONG time.
 09/02/2020 06:54 PM

kreidel

Joined Forum: 08/27/2009

I got some yesterday but they were all overslot.

Edited: 09/02/2020 at 06:56 PM by kreidel
 09/03/2020 04:46 AM

Plan B

D@MN... nice bucket mouth
 09/03/2020 06:48 AM

stokedpanda

^good problem to have^! kreidel

09/03/2020 08:55 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

Nice one!

Do you need a snook stamp if you have the Yearly Florida Gold Sportsman license?
 09/03/2020 07:59 PM

kreidel

Joined Forum: 08/27/2009

Thanks. I have been fortunate to fish lately and it has been good.

Edited: 09/03/2020 at 07:59 PM by kreidel
 09/04/2020 07:13 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

We got three in the slot at inlet two days before season opened, but I'm gonna wait till the fever dies down before going back.

The mullet are moving on the beach and I have some friends that are doing well in the Brevard surf, but only in the AM. The evening bite is oddly slow.

I was right.
 09/04/2020 08:32 AM

stokedpanda

I can never get through the bluefish jacks and ladys off the beach during the mullet run and usually only do good near the jetties.

I know guys do good also throwing plugs in the suds, I got at second light years ago on a bomber but it was after about my 10th bluefish lol

09/04/2020 10:03 AM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Originally posted by: stokedpanda

I can never get through the bluefish jacks and ladys off the beach during the mullet run and usually only do good near the jetties.

I know guys do good also throwing plugs in the suds, I got at second light years ago on a bomber but it was after about my 10th bluefish lol

I hear a lot of guys saying this. I get the most snook in early summer off the beach but they are not legal to keep then. Beach snook are the best to eat too. I notice a big difference in taste when the have been running in ocean water compared to the IRL and jetties.
 09/08/2020 09:50 AM

johnnyboy

If you catch one of those monsters at the spillway, it tastes like the spillway smells. You can soak it in coconut milk, not coconut water to get that stagnant taste out. We have thousands of snook here in Palm Beach County. They like to wave at me as they pass over my yozuri, mirrorlures, rapalas, feathers with bass worms (red and white), and cichlids in the spillway. Its a humbling experience to fish for snook. The slot seems to be an ingenious way to make most catches illegal. I respect the law and on the rare occasions Im not wrapped around a piling, the hook is spit, the line doesnt break or even the rod breaking (last time on a on a beast the size of my leg), I let them go. I strongly suspect that they never get caught the same way twice.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

09/10/2020 01:04 PM

stokedpanda

Originally posted by: johnnyboy

If you catch one of those monsters at the spillway, it tastes like the spillway smells. You can soak it in coconut milk, not coconut water to get that stagnant taste out. We have thousands of snook here in Palm Beach County. They like to wave at me as they pass over my yozuri, mirrorlures, rapalas, feathers with bass worms (red and white), and cichlids in the spillway. Its a humbling experience to fish for snook. The slot seems to be an ingenious way to make most catches illegal. I respect the law and on the rare occasions Im not wrapped around a piling, the hook is spit, the line doesnt break or even the rod breaking (last time on a on a beast the size of my leg), I let them go. I strongly suspect that they never get caught the same way twice.

^LOL^ that spillway fishing looks fun, seems like some serious lunkers hang around those things!

09/10/2020 01:35 PM

johnnyboy

The best way to fish the spillway is to bring some brim hooks and Hawaiian bred and get three or four little to medium sized and toss them with the hook under the dorsal fun work a 3.0 circle hook. The spillway gates have to be open. If the bait gets past the eddies, the gar drag them off.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

09/16/2020 06:44 AM

tingo

Joined Forum: 09/22/2004

Hi, Because we are all long time friends. Tony Aceta spoon #13 with the blues reflective tape. Best spillway lure ever. You need to Carolina rig it so it has enough weight to reach the gates.
 09/16/2020 11:45 AM

stokedpanda

Originally posted by: tingo

Hi,
Because we are all long time friends.

Tony Aceta spoon #13 with the blues reflective tape.

Best spillway lure ever. You need to Carolina rig it so it has enough weight to reach the gates.

interesting I have never had luck with spoons other than reds in the flats, so quit using them after the grass died. I was at tables a few years ago and some guy got like 3 oversized snook casting a big spoon into pogie pods

09/16/2020 12:13 PM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

I catch snook on the beach with spoons all the time. If they are hungry and see it, they slam it. Catch snook on pompano rigs with fish bites too lol
 09/16/2020 01:49 PM

johnnyboy

Good to know. I love the little rapala on the dock lights too. One and done. If you catch one, the whole bunch won't bite it again.

09/21/2020 08:39 AM

stokedpanda

Originally posted by: johnnyboy

Good to know. I love the little rapala on the dock lights too. One and done. If you catch one, the whole bunch won't bite it again.

those little white "crappie" jigs on an ultra light is fun between keeping them out of the pilings and trying not to bend the hook. I actually like the hook bending out vs them breaking me off lol bc with that gear its one or the other!

FORUMS : Fishing : Snook Season

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146493 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .