Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Anyone Gator Hunting?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/24/2020 06:15 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/24/2020 06:15 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

I pulled two tags for Lake Hell n Blazes. After opening week I still have both tags... We have tried everything from site casting treble hooks, harpoon in the flats. Last night at dawn we baited a chicken and closest we got w/ a 8 footer honing in on the bait and some A-holes in a Boston Whaler came screaming through and almost ran the gator over. I think the place is way to crowded and every gator is spooked.. Anyone on here pull tags and have any luck out there?
 08/24/2020 06:36 AM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

If anyone gets any, post pics. I've never done it, probably never will. But it is really interesting. Love gator meat too.
 08/24/2020 05:25 PM

cheaterfiveo

Joined Forum: 08/29/2013

Originally posted by: TATTOO74

I pulled two tags for Lake Hell n Blazes. After opening week I still have both tags... We have tried everything from site casting treble hooks, harpoon in the flats. Last night at dawn we baited a chicken and closest we got w/ a 8 footer honing in on the bait and some A-holes in a Boston Whaler came screaming through and almost ran the gator over. I think the place is way to crowded and every gator is spooked.. Anyone on here pull tags and have any luck out there?

I got mine after midnight; things die down quickly down by little saw grass and that channel has some bigguns
 08/25/2020 04:09 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

You want to attract gators. Get the Gator Love call. Usually gets them to show themselves.

-------------------------
So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 08/25/2020 05:58 AM

TATTOO74

Originally posted by: cheaterfiveo

I got mine after midnight; things die down quickly down by little saw grass and that channel has some bigguns

Congrats on the gator! We were just off the channel when we tried the chicken. Hopefully October will be better.

Edited: 08/25/2020 at 05:59 AM by TATTOO74
 08/25/2020 06:02 AM

TATTOO74

Originally posted by: jdbman

You want to attract gators. Get the Gator Love call. Usually gets them to show themselves.

We have it but don't use it much. I think it's illegal to actually have on while hunting? At least that's what one of the guys was telling us. Doesn't make sense to me, you can call in any other type of game while hunting.
 08/25/2020 11:33 AM

LBCPedro

Joined Forum: 09/14/2007

you have access to an airboat you can basically run up to them and harpoon them. Last year I used an electric trolling motor to get close then coasted up to crossbow range. 2 tags, 4 gators in two nights. It was the H&B opening hunt so they were not too spooked yet.
 08/25/2020 11:54 AM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Originally posted by: LBCPedro

you have access to an airboat you can basically run up to them and harpoon them. Last year I used an electric trolling motor to get close then coasted up to crossbow range. 2 tags, 4 gators in two nights. It was the H&B opening hunt so they were not too spooked yet.

LOL I literally busted out laughing reading that. That's funny as heck.
 08/26/2020 05:19 AM

TATTOO74

Originally posted by: LBCPedro

Airboat will be in rotation when the season opens back up. Hoping to run up into the areas they are hiding and push them back out into the open. My buddy has tags for Lake Washington as well. Are there any crossbows in the for sale section?! I plan on casting at them from a much farther distance next time around.

08/27/2020 05:46 AM

LBCPedro

Note, the largest we got with the crossbow was 7 ft. Also had to hit them with a spear after following/pullling them up to the boat. Driver kept them in the spotlight, completely silent coasting approach the last 50 yards. Most crossbow shots were less than 10 yards.
 08/29/2020 11:38 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I always liked going out before daybreak up in the middle St. Johns. Haven't messed with them down here.

-------------------------

08/31/2020 03:41 PM

cheaterfiveo

Originally posted by: cheaterfiveo

Congrats on the gator! We were just off the channel when we tried the chicken. Hopefully October will be better.

I use really rotten beef lung on the peg, it floats and they have no trouble finding it
 09/01/2020 05:22 AM

TATTOO74

^^^ Beef Lung will be in rotation this time. The chicken was a last ditch effort the day before the opening week closed.
 10/06/2020 07:35 AM

TATTOO74

Finally got one! Took out a buddy's airboat and we got him within about 20 minutes of being on the water. We ran up on some grass and we spooked him out to the deeper water and I harpooned him, then another treble hook and pulled him up to the boat! He measured 10 feet and estimated about 300lbs. I tried brining it then cooking it on the grill wrapped in bacon, then the next batch went in buttermilk and to the air fryer.

Edited: 10/06/2020 at 07:36 AM by TATTOO74
 10/08/2020 03:15 AM

LBCPedro

Airboat/harpoon FTW.
 10/13/2020 05:18 AM

cheaterfiveo

saw a guy pull in an 11 footer out of upper basin canal yesterday morning, it was enormously fat as well as long. truly a beast
Statistics
146493 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .