Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Brevard electronics parts?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/30/2024 04:05 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/30/2024 04:05 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Now that Ted's gone and Tedco has moved, I've lost my best supply. New location not so good. I just need a couple diodes and a switched jack for an amp build so not worth the shipping on line. I think a couple of you guys build traditional Luddite electronics so thought I'd ask.

-------------------------
add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 04/30/2024 02:25 PM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Interesting post for the Food and Music forum, but I see where you're going with this.

Glad to read that Tedco still exists. I thought they closed completely and you were being snarky about the Tedco that Google returns from Canada.

Anyway, there is a place called MRAM (next to Bits, near Melbourne Square Mall) at 1175 W New Haven Ave #104, West Melbourne, FL 32904.

It's hit or miss. They had some of the old junk from Astro Too and the old MRAM in Palm Bay.

I recently got some cables and connectors there; wasn't looking for jacks or diodes, but if they're not in a parts bin, you might be able to remove some from other equipment there.

Edited: 04/30/2024 at 02:32 PM by CurtisEflush
 05/01/2024 05:45 PM

tom

Well, it's a tube amp so it can either make music or warm soup. I figured the music and food section was perfect. . MRAM bought up Tedco's stuff and has a location on Babcock but..... I miss Ted. Thanks for the heads up though.

05/01/2024 05:57 PM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

Sorry to hear Tedco is gone. My dad and I bought the parts for my 5th or 6th grade science project in about '65-'66. They were a freakin' institution. The Brevard County I grew up in is dying bit by bit.
 05/01/2024 06:59 PM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

What diodes do you need?
cliff or switchcraft style jack?

As an FYI, It's not mouser, but amazon has this stuff and sometimes the prices are fair.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV

Edited: 05/01/2024 at 07:06 PM by Bamboo
 05/02/2024 05:10 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Skycraft makes the trip to the hell that is Orlando worth it.

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 05/02/2024 08:57 AM

Bamboo

Yeah, skycraft is cool but damn...I do hate to go anywhere near that I-4 area.
They have some good stuff though.

Another option is a place like Antique Electronics
https://www.tubesandmore.com/
They are a super reliable small biz that has been in business for decades.
They have some good stuff, prices are fair and shipping isn't horrible...and they ship fast.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 05/02/2024 11:39 AM

tom

Wow. I did not know about Skycraft, next time i have to go to Orlando for something. Thanks! Bamboo, I made a big list, ordered everything, got free shipping, and then remembered the stuff I forgot. So far, a couple 1N4007 to back up the rectifier and a switchcraft 12A for the external cab. More to come I'm sure, haha. Maybe if I forgot enough stuff, I can get free shipping again.

05/02/2024 11:49 AM

CurtisEflush

Skycraft got many UCF nerds, including myself, through college. They have moved at least once, maybe twice since their heyday at the original location on Fairbanks near I-4.

Doublecheck for current location before you go; it may save you some of the hell-time in traffic.

They didn't have as much good, hardcore electronics on my last visit there ~2 years ago compared to what as I was accustomed to, but's still must-stop shopping. Several times the size of TedCo, MRAM, or Astro Too.
 05/02/2024 01:54 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Looks like Skycraft is on Edgewater Dr. and actually not real far from the original Fairbanks & I-4 location.

Skycraft

Note: it has been a while since I have been there and never to this location.

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 05/02/2024 03:44 PM

CurtisEflush

5021 Edgewater is indeed the correct address. I visited the Fairbanks location just before their August 2021 move and then again at the new Edgewater Dr. location in Dec 2021, where it looks like they've been ever since.

I have receipts in my phone and get birthday discount offers by text, so there's a long history recorded.

I was confused because I remembered seeing another text a year later that said, "Visit us at our NEW location" which I interpreted as yet another move after the previous move.

Couple that with another text message they sent out with the wrong address, which they later corrected (from 5031 Edgewater back to 5021 Edgewater, just a typo) and I wasn't sure what they were up to.

Anyway, it seems to be solid for them there, but with weirder inventory. Last time I was there, I left with very little electronics (just a laser or two), but also a hammock, some sheet metal and a winch. They might be adopting the Ollie's model of reselling liquidated bulk junk from other retailers, but I hope they don't let the electronics go downhill (like Radio Shack did when they morphed from hobbyist heaven to a computer & cell phone store).

Ted seemed to be on his last legs the last time I was in the (Melbourne) Babcock Tedco store. I'll have to check out the new location, see if they have a stylus and cartridge for my 40-year old turntable.

Edited: 05/02/2024 at 03:45 PM by CurtisEflush
 05/02/2024 04:04 PM

Bamboo

I have a bunch of 1N4007 diodes, no problem there.
Don't have any switchcraft shorting jacks but do have a few cliffs.

If you need the jack for the speaker cab itself it doesn't have to be a shorting jack,
but if it is for the speaker output from the amp you certainly want a shorting jack.
...you probably already know this, just wanted to mention as wasn't clear what the application was.

If you want I can mail the diodes to you.

05/03/2024 03:05 PM

tom

Thanks Bamboo, you're a gent. No need, i just got the parts and set them out layout style when i realized my oops. Haven't even warmed up an iron yet.

05/03/2024 04:22 PM

Bamboo

Anytime.
The world needs more tube amps!

Statistics
146518 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .