Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Jimmy Buffett has left this world.
Topic Summary: His influence on music, this state and even us is everywhere
Created On: 09/02/2023 10:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/06/2023 03:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sharkey

Joined Forum: 01/07/2009

Buffett stated "It's pretty simple, we live in paradise, and paradise is in peril. We need to have a little more attention about the place where we grew up, and where our children should grow up. It's not that hard, it really isn't."
 09/06/2023 06:15 PM

FloridianSoul

Joined Forum: 12/17/2007

Dude, 1987 was 36 years ago before he had the type of money and influence he had today. Point me towards something current. And for what it's worth, Manatees are overpopulated and contribute to the demise of the Lagoon by eating all the grass.

-------------------------
"If you love NY, take I-95 north"
 09/06/2023 07:12 PM

JOESTRUMMER

Joined Forum: 03/24/2012

And what pray tell you of the Manetees perspective of the the over population of the Human Beings bringing about the demise of not only of the Lagoon , but of the entire planet as well ?

Edited: 09/06/2023 at 07:46 PM by JOESTRUMMER
 09/07/2023 07:53 AM

e11even

Joined Forum: 02/20/2014

Originally posted by: FloridianSoul Dude, 1987 was 36 years ago before he had the type of money and influence he had today. Point me towards something current. And for what it's worth, Manatees are overpopulated and contribute to the demise of the Lagoon by eating all the grass.
You got to be joking. It is humans that are overpopulated and have contributed to the demise of the lagoon, not manatees. With a user name like that you should know better.

-

09/07/2023 12:45 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

no soul, and probly not even floridian. bah
 09/07/2023 01:27 PM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

Yes, humans are the cause of the IRL's ills, but manatees were a rare sight in Brevard County "back in the day". Everybody would pull over at the Berkely canal whenever one showed up (which was apparent when they sucked down of a clump of hyacinth which clogged the canal). They are way, way, way overpopulated in the IRL now and whatever smidgen of grass there is has zero chance of surviving. Sea cows (yes, that is what we called them) are like sheep, they rip the grass out by the roots. (Cows crop it, that is why the cowmen hated sheepherders in the old west. Sheep ruined the grasslands.) No matter what we do to cure the ills of the IRL, the grass will never come back as long as we have this many.
 09/07/2023 01:28 PM

garcia

And, if the grass doesn't come back, the IRL will remain a dead zone.
 09/07/2023 01:51 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: johnnyboy

Its hard to love a man that merchandised his soul and everything with it.

Somewhat true ...... it is also true that he did A LOT of good with that $$$$$

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 09/07/2023 01:56 PM

LBLarry

Originally posted by: FloridianSoul

Dude, 1987 was 36 years ago before he had the type of money and influence he had today. Point me towards something current. And for what it's worth, Manatees are overpopulated and contribute to the demise of the Lagoon by eating all the grass.

Buffett performed at several hurricane relief concerts including the Surviving the Storm hurricane relief concert in November 2004, which raised funds to support relief efforts for the four major hurricanes that year: Hurricane Charley, Hurricane Frances, Hurricane Ivan, and Hurricane Jeanne[124] and a hurricane relief concert in November 2017 with Kenny Chesney and Toby Keith.[125]

In January 2008, Buffett performed a concert in Hong Kong that raised funds for the Foreign Correspondents' Club Charity Fund to support needy children.[126][127][128]

On July 11, 2010, along with Jesse Winchester and Allen Toussaint, Buffett, a Gulf Coast native, performed a free concert for 35,000 people on the beach in Gulf Shores, Alabama to draw tourism to the area in the aftermath of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.[129][130] Buffett changed some of the lyrics of his songs to reference the environmental disaster.[131]

After the 2010 Haiti earthquake, Buffett brought tents via his seaplane to donate to those that lost their homes.[132]

In the aftermath of Hurricane Irma, Buffett sent private planes to help ferry supplies and gave a benefit concert in Gustavia, Saint Barthélemy

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

09/07/2023 02:19 PM

JOESTRUMMER

Joined Forum: 03/24/2012

Remember the old bumper sticker : " I love Manatees ( Esp. with mashed potatoes and gravy ! ) " ?
 09/07/2023 05:48 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Originally posted by: garcia They are way, way, way overpopulated in the IRL now....yada yada... No matter what we do to cure the ills of the IRL, the grass will never come back as long as we have this many.
who was there ....first & is it possible maybe that the people are overpopulated there, now - too
 09/07/2023 06:56 PM

garcia

Obviously, there are too damned many people here. There are too damned many transplants, manatees and people both.
 09/08/2023 02:47 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Couple quick numbers here. At the inception of the Endangered Species Act (1973), about 1000 manatee existed in FL. With subsequent protection, population expanded to about 6000. Carrying capacity models show a range of 2000 to 10,000 individuals. At 6000, mid range, manatee were unlikely to be "overpopulated". Human driven eutrophication of the IRL caused loss of 80% grass beginning about 2010/11 with the superbloom. Currently, manatee population in IRL is in sharp decline via starvation. In 2021, statewide, about 1000 manatee deaths, twice normal, with starvation in IRL as the primary driver. Sorry guys, it's us.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 09/08/2023 02:58 AM

tom

Comparison values, pre Endangered Species Act, there were 88 nesting pair of Bald Eagle in FL. Now, via protection, more than 1500 pair.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 09/08/2023 03:26 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Dugongs are still alive in Asian waters but became extinct in Florida about 2 1/2 million years ago, the same time manatees were beginning to show up in the fossil record. - more numbers here for 2nd light mathers
 09/08/2023 08:57 AM

LBLarry

Nice info Tom.

Imagine, actual facts / data and not baseless accusations.

09/08/2023 12:26 PM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: garcia I absolutely loved Buffett in the early/mid 70s when he was playing free (for us, he got paid of course) concerts at UF on the north lawn. Even better, the surfer girls I dated REALLY loved him (which made for a great night!). But, as with the Dead's "Touch of Gray", "Margaritaville" turned him into a "happening". All the kooks started following him and turned his concerts into Kookvilles; just a bunch of Midwestern beach wannabes strutting around in their "uniforms" and I avoided that scene like the plague. He also changed his music to fit their party mode. "Margaritaville" (and "Touch of Gray") changed EVERYTHING for me. Their concerts became just a bunch of drunks making the scene. So, when I heard that he died, I wasn't really affected personally. It was sad, but, I had moved on 45 years ago. Then I saw a clip on Letterman from '78 and I remembered why I liked him so much back then. And, now, I am sad for his death and for what he was back then and for those times. Here's the clip for those of you who want to remember who he was back then - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU8rStLFHXw
I used to go to the same concerts. Good times indeed. Like you, I kind of got away from him later on, but still listened to his earlier albums fairly frequently (A1A, White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean, Havana Daydreamin', Livin' and Dyin' in 3/4 Time ). I was sadden to hear of his death. Listening to his old songs would take me back to a great time in life. I never met him but know several people who did know him. All have said he was a great guy.

I :heart; Q
 09/10/2023 04:52 AM

sharkey

Joined Forum: 01/07/2009

I'd meant to point out he'd long been charitable, not that he'd done something good once and turned into Scrooge McDuck. Is this recent enough? https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/jimmy-buffett-secretly-donated-wwii-era-planes-to-mobile-s-battleship-memorial-park/ar-AA1gbAYo
 09/18/2023 08:53 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

He was charitable and funny. I saw him in different places and he always localized the lyrics to gin up the crowd. It worked too. In New Orleans, he would come to town during Jazzfest and play at Tipitina's under the worst kept secret pseudonym "Jimmy and the Fish Sticks." Tipitina's is legendary and I drove by and saw a line down the street for "Jimmy and Fish Sticks" at noon and called my buddy who was a doorman. He told me it Jimmy Buffett and that half the tickets were comped to Buffett two weeks in advance and the other half would only be sold at the door. It is not a big place. My buddy at the door hated any music that didnt smell like patchouli and had two free guests every show as part of the job. I saw every band that came through thanks to him and if I could see Jimmy and the fish sticks for free, why not? Hell no. This was literally the only time at Tipitinas where he was told he would not be getting his two comps. Half of the gulf coast royalty was there.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

09/19/2023 07:21 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Manatee and sea grass got along fine for some ten thousand years.

Then came the people.

I was right.
FORUMS : FOOD ...........and Music : Jimmy Buffett has left this world.

<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .