Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Jimmy Buffett has left this world.
Topic Summary: His influence on music, this state and even us is everywhere
Created On: 09/02/2023 10:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/02/2023 10:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

http://www.npr.org/2023/09/02/...t-margaritaville-dies

I went to his concert last year and I couldn't believe how many songs I knew all the words to and how I had dismissed him because so much of his music is the background for the entire industry of tropical lazy themed everything that made him an almost billionaire. But he was ubiquitous. Its a bit sad he's gone. The man filled stadiums in the midwest where everyone knew all the words and sang them at the top of their lungs.

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

09/02/2023 11:50 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

GNV's WMBT Wombat Radio live did a nice tribute earlier ...I suspect, I died in some cosmic shipwreck, With all hands spread all over the deck, What the heck...Jimmy Buffett, r.i.p

Edited: 09/02/2023 at 12:12 PM by StirfryMcflurry
 09/02/2023 02:24 PM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

I was driving home today and listening to radio Margaritaville. ( sirius 24) they played: " The Oldest Surfer on the beach". A tear came to my eye.

Vaya con dios: JB.....

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 09/02/2023 02:51 PM

JOESTRUMMER

Joined Forum: 03/24/2012

I was always partial to this one .Excellent lyrics . (God willing the man is now currently having " A Cheeseburger in Paradise " )

Edited: 09/02/2023 at 03:31 PM by JOESTRUMMER
 09/04/2023 05:53 PM

johnnyboy

I would be willing to bet that everyone on this forum could sing along with all of the lyrics from a pirate looks at 40.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

09/05/2023 04:18 AM

Cole

I agree Johnny, I can sing along with most of his stuff, even though I have never listened to it intentionally. It's just intrinsic for water people I guess.

I was right.
 09/05/2023 10:10 AM

johnnyboy

He monetized everything he could. He had no shame about it. He died with a half a billion dollars in assets. Insane. I bet he gets buried in a special edition Margaritaville "Its five oclock forever" coffin with a cheesy hibiscus and palm print. Still, though, he gets the last laugh.

09/05/2023 10:33 AM

Central Floridave

Kelly Slater had a great post on his friendship with Jimmy.

died from skin cancer. Cover up people. Protect yourself. Sun exposure is not good.
 09/05/2023 11:19 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

I absolutely loved Buffett in the early/mid 70s when he was playing free (for us, he got paid of course) concerts at UF on the north lawn. Even better, the surfer girls I dated REALLY loved him (which made for a great night!). But, as with the Dead's "Touch of Gray", "Margaritaville" turned him into a "happening". All the kooks started following him and turned his concerts into Kookvilles; just a bunch of Midwestern beach wannabes strutting around in their "uniforms" and I avoided that scene like the plague. He also changed his music to fit their party mode. "Margaritaville" (and "Touch of Gray") changed EVERYTHING for me. Their concerts became just a bunch of drunks making the scene. So, when I heard that he died, I wasn't really affected personally. It was sad, but, I had moved on 45 years ago. Then I saw a clip on Letterman from '78 and I remembered why I liked him so much back then. And, now, I am sad for his death and for what he was back then and for those times.

Here's the clip for those of you who want to remember who he was back then -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU8rStLFHXw
 09/05/2023 11:42 AM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

I really liked his song, "Two Ticks and a Pair of Lice".
 09/05/2023 11:56 AM

johnnyboy

Its hard to love a man that merchandised his soul and everything with it.

09/05/2023 01:51 PM

Central Floridave

When the late singer Jimmy Buffett was diagnosed with a rare skin cancer about four years ago, his younger sister Laurie Buffett McGuane was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer not long after.

McGuane, who is now cancer-free, told People the siblings supported each other through their individual treatments.

"Jimmy and I became closer because of our cancers. We talked before and after our scans," she said. "We shared a club that nobody wants to join. I am thunderstruck that Jimmy didn't make it."

She remembered her brother, whom she affectionately called Bubba, for inspiring her to stay strong.

"I rode my horse during my treatments and tried to continue with my life the same way Jimmy has done," McGuane said. "He brought joy to so many. I am very emotional now. When Jimmy was in the world, I felt safe."

McGuane said she was among the family members by Buffett's side when he died. She shared a photo of them as children in a tribute on Instagram.

"We talked about our childhood where only siblings can relate. I told him I've known him longer than anyone on the planet," McGuane wrote. "He smiled with those twinkling blue eyes and squeezed my hand."
 09/05/2023 01:52 PM

Central Floridave

09/05/2023 02:57 PM

JOESTRUMMER

I agree with JB , Jimmy unfortunately turned into a corporate hypocrite of the 1st Class order and he there for turned his back on his initial roots and cause . All his early works and songs were always preaching about the rampant over development and demise of Old Florida and esp the never ending hoards of tourists and yet he slowly morphed into a corporate entity worth over a Billion dollars that markets directly to said tourists . He has Bars , Restaurants , Marinas , Stores , actual fucking Resorts , mind you ------not to mention all the Parrot Head paraphernalia and merchandise : hats , t- shirts ,mugs , towels , shower curtains ,door mats ,ect , ect . He sadly turned into the very Demon he once despised ! Go figure ? ( PS : Are you kidding me ? : https://www.margaritavilleresorts.com/margaritaville-resort-orlando/experiences/store )

Edited: 09/05/2023 at 08:47 PM by JOESTRUMMER
 09/05/2023 05:56 PM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

Add over-55 gated communities to the list. Can you imagine living surrounded by those kooks? OMG. But, man, I have really great memories of him and the girls (and guys) I was with back then. And, of the guy I was back then. Everything was so damned easy and automatic when I was 20-25 and they are so much harder now (popups being just one of them!).
 09/06/2023 08:15 AM

FloridianSoul

Joined Forum: 12/17/2007

This is one I've been thinking about for quite a few years now with respect to Jimmy Buffett. To borrow a term from the liberal crowd, I think the reason why many of us feel upset is that Jimmy Buffett has "culturally appropriated" Florida. To be fair, I think that cultural appropriation is just something that naturally happens over time.... people want to utilize the best parts of various cultures, concepts and ideologies that exist around them. Unfortunately, I think what Jimmy Buffett did surpassed cultural appropriation and turned cultural exploitation. I use the term exploitation because he created dynastic wealth for his family while engaging in business ventures that in my opinion devalue the Florida lifestyle. In addition to all of that stuff, as far as I know I've never heard him on a soapbox for Florida such as restrained development, water quality, fisheries management, Etc. Although I enjoyed some of his music and writing, I'm disappointed in what seems to be hypocrisy all for a bunch of money

"If you love NY, take I-95 north"
 09/06/2023 08:43 AM

Central Floridave

09/06/2023 09:40 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

^^^^^^^
Thanks , Dave

Excellent!

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 09/06/2023 02:12 PM

JOESTRUMMER

RE : " As far as I know I've never heard him on a soapbox for Florida such as restrained development, water quality, fisheries management, Etc. " Actually he was the first face and spokesman for raising awareness for the Manatees way back in the 1980s when he had Governor Grahams ear ------- So you have got to give him credit for that . >>>>

Edited: 09/06/2023 at 02:21 PM by JOESTRUMMER
 09/06/2023 02:58 PM

sharkey

Joined Forum: 01/07/2009

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmcgowan/2023/09/02/jimmy-buffett-used-his-influence-to-help-the-environment-save-the-manatees/?sh=73cdc66b1f27. "In 1987, Buffett appeared before Congress to lobby for the reauthorization of the Endangered Species Act, citing the endangered manatee. He supported various environmental causes over the decades, including the Quicksilver Foundation, Reef Relief, and the Gulf Specimen Marine Laboratory. He frequently participated in charity concerts in the wake of hurricanes in the Southeast and the Caribbean. He also stepped in to raise money for disaster relief following the BP oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico."

Edited: 09/06/2023 at 02:58 PM by sharkey
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .