Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: ZZ Top documentary pretty good
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/06/2020 07:30 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/06/2020 07:30 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

isolation binge watching continues!

Amazon or Netflix. I forget which one.

04/06/2020 02:47 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

I saw that one, really enjoyed it.
 04/09/2020 12:06 PM

Central Floridave

I have since listened to ZZ-Top's entire catalog on Apple music. I rediscovered some older albums and got introduced to some of their 90s albums (didn't listen to them in the 90s).

Self Isolation is a great time to rediscover music!
 04/09/2020 04:06 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Originally posted by: Central Floridave
Self Isolation is a great time to rediscover music!

Indeed. I'm sharing a home office with my wife, who has a ton of telecons. I've got the earbuds in and Spotify on to tune her out.
 04/22/2020 07:24 AM

Central Floridave

My wife seems to be on telecons the whole day also. Its painful to listen to another companies HR telecons.
 04/22/2020 01:55 PM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Tres Hombres is the definitive ZZ Tops album.
Also, the Best of only because it has some unreleased stuff like "Viva Las Vegas"

-------------------------
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 04/22/2020 01:56 PM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

just got a led zepplin album, Mothership, and have been killing it with that. Their best "best of" album.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 04/28/2020 06:45 AM

weldertom2

Joined Forum: 04/14/2005

That documentary was really good and filled in a few gaps for me............ZZ Top's First album and Rio Grande Mud are the albums we played (vinyl and 8-track) in high school. Those story/songs about Mexico were literally what we were up to and reflect growing up/ living on the Texas Gulf Coast.
 06/21/2021 06:01 AM

Central Floridave

I saw ZZ-Top at King Center a couple years ago and they were great. They back.

ZZ TOP
Tuesday, November 16, 2021 at 8 p.m.
 06/28/2021 03:10 PM

Central Floridave

I picked up a couple tix. looks near sold out.
 07/28/2021 12:02 PM

Central Floridave

"We are saddened by the news today that our Compadre, Dusty Hill, has passed away in his sleep at home in Houston, TX. We, along with legions of ZZ Top fans around the world, will miss your steadfast presence, your good nature and enduring commitment to providing that monumental bottom to the 'Top'. We will forever be connected to that "Blues Shuffle in C."
You will be missed greatly, amigo.
Frank & Billy
 07/28/2021 01:50 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: Central Floridave

"We are saddened by the news today that our Compadre, Dusty Hill, has passed away in his sleep at home in Houston, TX. We, along with legions of ZZ Top fans around the world, will miss your steadfast presence, your good nature and enduring commitment to providing that monumental bottom to the 'Top'. We will forever be connected to that "Blues Shuffle in C."

You will be missed greatly, amigo.

Frank & Billy

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 07/29/2021 01:10 PM

Central Floridave

The Show Must Go On!

ZZ Top Will Carry On After Dusty Hill's Death, Billy Gibbons Says

https://variety.com/2021/music...ypL_TTRoEojGDhsiyW8d0o

I checked last night, only about 20 seats left for the Nov show at the king center. Might want to pick those up if you ever want to see ZZ Top in your lifetime.
 08/03/2021 05:53 AM

Central Floridave

Cherry Down played a private party this past Saturday in Cocoa Beach. Here is audio from it and tribute to Dusty Hill. Looks like ZZ Top is going to continue to tour with their new bassist/guitar tech. Can't wait to see them in November.

08/03/2021 07:27 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

It was June of 1973 and our crew was going to a BIG rock & roll concert in Tampa, at the old Big Sombrero. The headliner was Deep Purple with Blue Oyster Cult, Savoy Brown and a band I had never heard of at the time, was the "opener"
It was late afternoon, still daylight and Florida in June hot. People were still settling in, mostly interested in getting "prepped" and hitting the beachball around the crowd when the "opener" took the stage. There was only 3 of them in the band and even then had at least 3 feet of combined beard. I remember kinda laughing to myself and thinking ..... whatever.

They started their set with what I would soon learn was the first 3 songs off their just released latest album. That album was Tres Hombres and the next morning, I was waiting for the record store to open so I could buy it!

Literally by 1/2 into "Waitin For The Bus" you could see people start to look up and pay attention. By the time Billy Gibbons was leaning back on the amp stack and KILLING a slide solo on "Jesus Just Left Chicago", the entire crowd was on their feet with a shocked look of .... who the hell are these guys!! .... on their face. By the time they launched into "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers", the entire crowd was dancing and doing just that, raising hell!! I have been to more rock concerts that I can count. I have seen a LOT of great, great concerts, but my first ( of many ) ZZ Top concerts is one that is burned in my memory forever.

Today I learned of the passing of Dusty Hill, the long time bassist of ZZ Top. Thanks Dusty for the part you played in that burning memory.

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 08/03/2021 08:13 AM

Central Floridave

From Dusty Hill's Wife via Facebook:

After 19 wonderful years of marriage that ended too soon, I've decided to step out into Dusty's spotlight to thank all of his fans, colleagues and friends for the overwhelming outpouring of love for The Dust. It makes me hopeful he will not be forgotten.
He was the kindest, most gentle and caring man a woman could ever Hope to find in a lifetime. Many don't believe in fairy tale marriages but Dusty and I truly lived one! We were inseparable.

He wasn't supposed to leave me or all of you. That wasn't the plan he and I had. The plan was for another round of physical therapy, with a different approach, to help his chronic bursitis. The plan was he would return to the second leg of the tour in September.

Early Wednesday morning my world and yours would lose a great musician and I would lose my greatest love. He woke me up and we talked and as he was sweetly chatting with me he suddenly stopped and he was gone in an instant. So, while I feel numb and lost and alone and in a million pieces, I know he will always be with me in my heart and soul and I will join him when the Lord calls me home to be with them. It is my hope you will always keep him in your hearts. He loved his fans and always remembered that without fans music is not heard. So, know he truly appreciated each and every one of you.

Dusty was an avid tv and movie buff...always quoting lines and so I share an embellished quote from "This Is Us" as my last love letter I send with him to his final resting place.

My Sweet Dusty,
The single most extraordinary thing I have ever done in my life is fall in love with you. The single most extraordinary gift I have ever received in my life was for you to ask me to marry you. I have never been seen so completely, loved so passionately and protected so fiercely.

I will be with you again.

Love you to infinity and back.

Your wife,
Chuck

I will lay my husband to rest tomorrow. I would ask that you look to the heavens at noon and wish Dusty Godspeed.
With great love, respect and appreciation to Dusty's fans, colleagues and friends,
Mrs. The Dust
 08/06/2021 09:10 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

TRES HOMBRES was released in 1973. Let THAT sink in. & r.i.p. Dusty
 11/17/2021 06:04 AM

Central Floridave

Saw ZZ Top last night at the King Center. It was a pretty good show. However, not as good as last time.

My grievences: They had a warm up band that was country, Tim Montana...Yuck...it was typical new country. Heard, 'everyone wants to be a cowboy' NOT, Hillbilly rich, LAME, Weed and Whiskey, DUMB, and a bunch of other twangy generic country songs. Poor choice for a warm up band.

ZZ Top only played for 1 hour and ten minutes. Last time was two hours and they went much deeper into their catalog. NO Party On the Patio, No Tube Steak Boogie, only one song from older ablums, Jesus just left Chicago. They were good though the time they did play and it was kind of nice to get out semi-early. But, I prefer to skip the warm up band and for them to play longer.

The bassist Elroy looks the part but is not as dynamic as Dusty Hill. He was just hitting the notes and looked terrified on stage, almost homeless looking. All he did was hit the base note. Not much riffing and the sound quality on his bass was missed in the mix. Also, no Dusty Hill back up or lead singing except for Tush were they piped his vocals in and they played along with it.

Good show overall, sold out, crowd was really into it and my wife really loved the show which she missed the last time they were here.

The above grievances are minor but needed to be mentioned, Viva la ZZ Top!
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .