Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Separating the art from the artist.
Topic Summary: When monsters make something beautiful.
Created On: 05/10/2023 06:45 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/10/2023 06:45 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

http://www.npr.org/2023/05/10/...review-claire-dederer
>>... The subtitle of Monsters is A Fan's Dilemma: the dilemma being still loving, say, the music of Wagner or Michael Jackson; still being caught up in movies like Chinatown or maybe even Manhattan. In short, Dederer wants to dive deep into the murk of being "unwilling to give up the work [of art you love], and [yet, also being] unwilling to look away from the stain [of the monster who created it].

The #MeToo movement propels this exploration but so, too, does our own social media, biography-saturated moment: "When I was young," Dederer writes, "it was hard to find information about artists whose work I loved. Record albums and books appeared before us as if they had arrived after hurtling through space's black reaches, unmoored from all context."...<<

I was thinking about this lately because I got a good laugh out of Dave Chapelle when talked about canceling R Kelly but overlooking Michael Jackson because his music was more timeless. Bill Maher hinted at the same thing when he talked with Elon Musk and said if you ask a high school student about George Washington, the only thing they can tell you is that he was a slave owner. How much bad can we or should we forgive from great or prominent people? Where is the line?

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

05/14/2023 08:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dab

Joined Forum: 08/08/2003

Nuance is the foundation of understanding.

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

05/14/2023 11:36 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

After last year, I have decided to set my 1 (and only) Ted Nugent cassette on fire. r.i.p Theodore. However, I still hear Kid Rock on the radio, from time to time.
 05/14/2023 01:22 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

It most definitely colors how I view both the artist and their work. Be it legal issues, morality or political. If the transgression is bad enough, IMO, I divorce myself from that artist and their work.

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 05/14/2023 01:45 PM

StirfryMcflurry

the frankenstein dilemna isreal
 05/14/2023 01:48 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Originally posted by: LBLarry It most definitely colors how I view both the artist and their work. Be it legal issues, morality or political. If the transgression is bad enough, IMO, I divorce myself from that artist and their work.
including...jazz musicians
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .