Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Rental cars, , , , , ,
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/01/2021 12:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/01/2021 12:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

So, I've been looking into rental car rates to get my buddy and I up to Nashville.

Well, OK, pick-up and do a two day drive and then turn it in in Nville.

Around $142 a day for a Kia Soul!!! BUT, there is a $500 "one way" Fee!! WTF!!??

Going to be way cheaper to fly and bill the VA for "mileage"!

-------------------------
Dora Hates You

Edited: 06/01/2021 at 01:37 PM by dingpatch
 06/02/2021 10:09 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Bamboo

Ding, you should check around.
I believe Avis has waived the one way fee if you drop off at an airport. Got this in one of their emails "Vehicles may be dropped off at the nearest Regional Airport in operation and the one-way fee will be waived."

Also, if you are an awards member for one of the rental companies I believe they waive the fee.

You shouldn't have to pay that much for a one way rental.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV

Edited: 06/02/2021 at 10:10 AM by Bamboo
 06/03/2021 04:32 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

At what point does this become price gouging?

I was right.
 06/03/2021 05:09 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

A month ago I rented for a couple days in Indianapolis and the rates were just normal for Hertz.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 06/03/2021 08:32 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Rental car companies sold off cars last year, aren't yet quite ready for the pace of the recovery .

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 06/03/2021 02:13 PM

dingpatch

So, in-the-end, my friend says that he will drive us up.

Dora Hates You
 06/03/2021 02:18 PM

dingpatch

Yahoo Money

Expert: Rental car shortage could last 'six to 18 months'

Stephanie Asymkos·Reporter
Thu, June 3, 2021, 9:34 AM

As a rental car shortage plagues the nation with inventory outages and sky-high prices, one industry insider said the issue could last for another year and a half.

The rental car shortage will "resolve itself over time" but "is going to be challenging for the rental car giants for the next six to 18 months," Andre Haddad, CEO of peer-to-peer rideshare app Turo, recently told Yahoo Finance Live. "During that time, we're going to continue to position ourselves to be a great alternative and great way for travelers to find other options."

At the pandemic's outset, rental car companies sold off their fleets to right-size for the cratering demand. Now that pandemic restrictions have lifted, confidence has returned, and domestic travel is picking up, there are more reservations than companies can accommodate and travelers are turning to alternative accommodations.

"We're uniquely positioned to alleviate this rental car crunch because our hosts [already have] cars that they own," he said. "They're already leveraging this underutilized asset, which is the car, as cars are idle the vast majority of the time."

For those in certain locations where the rental car shortage is especially dire, such as Hawaii, it's an opportunistic move for locals to make money and "alleviate that travel crunch," Haddad said, with some hosts seeing " their earnings multiplied by a factor of 10" year to date.

"There's clearly a unique moment in time now with the rental car crunch, the inability for the large fleet car operators like Enterprise, Avis, and Hertz to scale up their fleets because of the shortage of cars and shortage of microchips," Haddad said.

Especially enterprising hosts are using Turo to build small businesses or earn additional income by buying or leasing additional cars and "dedicating them 100% of the time to the usage on the platform," he said.

"Our hosts are telling us that their business is really booming," Haddad said.

Dora Hates You
 06/03/2021 08:18 PM

Bamboo

Yeah, this time last year there were fantastic deals on low mileage fleet vehicles.
I picked up a fully loaded fam wagon for literally 1/2 of it's new OTD-after-negotiating price and it only had about 17k mile on it and is in great shape. I know some others who did the same.

So far I haven't had any issues renting cars and haven't found the prices to be any different or anything more difficult about renting vehicles.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV

Edited: 06/07/2021 at 05:55 AM by Bamboo
 06/08/2021 10:24 AM

Keith

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

I ran into this just a couple of weeks ago. We helped my daughter and her husband move from Gainesville to Little Rock, and I was trying to find a rental to drive back. It was much cheaper for both my wife and I to fly back than drive a one-way rental.

"Surf everyday as though it were a gift!" -- John Holeman
 06/08/2021 05:26 PM

surfsail

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Not sure how long you're going up for, but do a local rental with unlimited miles and use irt when you are up there & drive back down - but not sure you will be feeling well enough to do that.. I go stir crazy if I can get around on my own when I'm out of town - unless public transporation is good and a car is a hassle (e.g. Boston, NY etc) ..

There are NO white people at all in the Bible... take all the time you need with that...
Please stop feeding the trolls - they will go away if you do...
 06/08/2021 11:18 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Last week, Hertz had relatively normal prices at Orange County (Ca.) airport. Budget was very high. It's odd, because Hertz was forced into bankruptcy and had to sell half or more of its cars.
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .