Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Agave wood board?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/27/2023 01:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/27/2023 01:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

I doubt that agave wood makes really good blanks. Almond Surfboards is a Costa Mesa oddball, promoting surfing for ordinary people, and taking advantage of small waves.
 11/28/2023 10:31 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Cool shapes. I must confess, I have a bit of sticker shock for those prices. I get it but I am getting old.

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

11/28/2023 10:31 AM

johnnyboy

Cool shapes. I must confess, I have a bit of sticker shock for those prices. I get it but I am getting old.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

11/28/2023 03:40 PM

ww

Looking back historically, wood planks and, especially, hollow wooden boards stuffed with table tennis balls to ensure flotation must have been expensive, not to mention later balsas.
 11/28/2023 05:45 PM

johnnyboy

The tennis balls is new to me. Did it work?

11/28/2023 07:16 PM

ww

Ping pong. I heard of that from an older printmaker at a sale in Portland. He mentioned being from Santa Cruz and I politely asked about surfing. I got the hollow wooden board story in return. I should have bought one of his etchings--he was a pretty good disciple of Rembrandt.
 12/02/2023 06:51 AM

Retread

Joined Forum: 07/09/2014

Gary Linden, well known surfer and master shaper (look him up) has been making agave boards for years - long boards, short boards and Jaws/Mavericks style guns. He's known as the Agave Master. Personally, I look at agave as balsa's ugly stepsister as I think it is a fairly unattractive wood color and grain wise. Give me a chambered balsa, redwood or cedar board any day - no veneer kits allowed... (woodworker for 50+ yrs)
 12/04/2023 02:53 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

I would love to shape an agave blank! I've got a Balsa blank I got from Ricky some years back that I just talked to him about at his Christmas party about shaping next year with a bit of his help. A mezcal fish would be AWESOME.
FORUMS : Surfing : Agave wood board?

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146518 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .