Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Wrightsville beach vs.brevard
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/18/2023 03:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/18/2023 03:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

larenyon

Joined Forum: 10/19/2009

Never been there but seems like a cool place. How is the WB waves consistency compared to Brevard? Does it get any north swell at all? Water temps? I was surprised to see on some cams the water looking all blue.
 06/19/2023 11:35 AM

eastcoastersrule

Joined Forum: 04/04/2009

It rarely gets big in Wrightsville cause a lot of North swells are shadowed by Hatteras. Still, it's your best bet for waves anywhere between the Southern North Carolina coast and Amelia Island. And, that includes Folly Beach, SC one of the most overrated spots on the East Coast. Brevard probably gets 2x the quantity of rideable waves Wrightsville does.
 06/19/2023 12:05 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

It is sadly true that for as much coast as there is from the OBX to Jax Bch, that stretch doesn't get squat for anything resembling, consistent, quality surf.

-------------------------
"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 06/19/2023 01:34 PM

426Blue

Joined Forum: 11/18/2007

Lived there for many years. I think it's comparable to around here re: consistency and wave quality. Never noticed any lack of north or south swells. Beach access far better around here - Wrightsville beach has enforced surf zones all summer (at least last time I checked), and feels more packed with tourists than here - at least in summer. Agree that south of Carolina Beach into Brunswick County is lame due to south facing beaches, as well as Folly comment - way overrated wave and beach.
 06/19/2023 02:38 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Something has changed. Brevard is a wave desert compared to 20 years ago. We don't even get big chop anymore.

I've surfed the reserve on the other side of the Masonboro inlet and it was top notch, even at chest high.

I was right.

Edited: 06/19/2023 at 02:39 PM by Cole
 06/19/2023 03:48 PM

seaspray

Joined Forum: 05/10/2012

I wonder if you are thinking what I'm thinking.

I've been looking at other places in the continental US as possible evacuation points when it's time for me to punch my ticket out of FL. I also considered the Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach area as a possibility. I do believe they're starting to get problems with many people moving there, not as bad as FL, but the "Eye of Sauron" has reach that quiet NC Coast too
 06/19/2023 06:28 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

The Wilmington area has been booming in recent years. The Interstate was extended from Raleigh to Wilmington long ago, but I think that was a significant driver of growth. I agree that we've had a great wave drought.
 06/20/2023 05:37 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Should have been there 20 years ago just like everywhere else. But I disagree NC is better up there they pull in South wind swells much better , pull in south swells much better and NE swells much better if you have a boat or don't mind a paddle to the spot. The "spot" was great many years ago but now it's a zoo, packed with too many boats carrying too many surfers. It's still booming not an option for seeking a laid back beach town.

Edited: 06/20/2023 at 09:52 AM by SurferMic
 06/20/2023 08:15 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: Cole

Something has changed. Brevard is a wave desert compared to 20 years ago. We don't even get big chop anymore.

I can tell you for sure what Brevard is better than ..... by a llllllooooonnnggggg shot. Pinellas County!!!! Damn the "surf" here is pathetic!!

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 06/20/2023 10:10 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Much like the death of 1st peak...Wilmington (Carolina bch) suffered a big blow when they re-designed the Cove at Ft. Fischer. Before it was a legit rock left point break that was really fun as it was a true hard bottom rock left point break rather than the endless sand bottom breaks we have from from FL to NC. Old timer's will remember the real Cove. Then Maso went from a few boats to 40+ boats loaded with 3-5 surfers. Fullsuit weather used to mean low crowds due to long fullsuit paddle against strong currents to reach the island...BUT now..Ugh, everyone jumps on a skiff picks up the max capacity and overruns the island. (Rich surfers with boats on canal homes, plus many boats launched from local ramps). With the exception of New Sym. Wilmington gets more surf than FL due to closer location to the Coastal Lows exiting the East C. UNCW is also there, wow I'll just say everyone is "very fit" up there, single guy heaven.

Edited: 06/20/2023 at 10:16 AM by SurferMic
 06/20/2023 10:53 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Interesting. some breaks disappear, but some breaks still flourish, 20 years later. Who could have predicted CB's demise
 06/20/2023 01:31 PM

eastcoastersrule

Was CB ever that good?
 06/20/2023 07:02 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

I remember kids doing skateboard tricks on one-foot waves at the Apollo Building.
 06/20/2023 08:22 PM

Cole

Originally posted by: eastcoastersrule

Was CB ever that good?

Good on the international scale? No, but it was fun and there was very little wait time. Catch one, ride it in, paddle back out and then repeat. 2nd Light was a blast too when it was nothing but a cliff of concrete rubble. We had some super sessions out there, especially when the north swells would sweep across the Rock Garden. Nice peeling walls with enough get up and go to get up and go. McLaren chuggin beers and hooting on the conch shell. When you heard it blow, you headed east; a set was on the way. Rudolph smashing lips. Kech in for a session after dropping boards at QF. Sharon Wolfe with her smooth style. Helvie on his ugly blue Natural Arts. Randy Caldwell catching the sets (it ain't nothin new RCs people), Lee surfing leashless over the rocks right after I fixed his board after it went into the rocks, his brother Davey ripping as a grom and a host of other regulars who made it a damn fine time.

I was right.

Edited: 06/20/2023 at 08:30 PM by Cole
 06/21/2023 05:28 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

And, trying to safely climb over that cliff of boulders at high tide on a big swell.
 06/21/2023 10:56 AM

JOESTRUMMER

Joined Forum: 03/24/2012

RE : Rock Gardens : Fucking Kirshenbaum and his law suit against the Army Corps of Engineers is what killed our breaks . It broke way farther out back then as well , I can remember catching waves at Rock Gardens way North of the Parking Lot and ridding them past the end of the South Lot , Like Two block long rides . There where Two back to back winters (1998 -1999 ? ) were it was actually better at 2nd Light then it was at RCS .All the sand had been stripped off of the Coquina and the bottom was perfect . The entire RCS crew relocated to the Light , Randy , George , Mcmillian , Little Mike and all the rest . Cole : You left out Matt Belinia , who practically owned the break and was there 24 /7 -----also Jimmys call to arms was actually an old fashioned car horn , not a conch shell . : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqc6yRIHiW0

Edited: 06/21/2023 at 06:38 PM by JOESTRUMMER
 06/21/2023 11:55 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

In the immortal words of Pete Dooley:
" It was better back then."

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 06/22/2023 06:46 AM

Cole

Originally posted by: JOESTRUMMER

RE : Rock Gardens : Fucking Kirshenbaum and his law suit against the Army Corps of Engineers is what killed our breaks . It broke way farther out back then as well , I can remember catching waves at Rock Gardens way North of the Parking Lot and ridding them past the end of the South Lot , Like Two block long rides . There where Two back to back winters (1998 -1999 ? ) were it was actually better at 2nd Light then it was at RCS .All the sand had been stripped off of the Coquina and the bottom was perfect . The entire RCS crew relocated to the Light , Randy , George , Mcmillian , Little Mike and all the rest . Cole : You left out Matt Belinia , who practically owned the break and was there 24 /7 -----also Jimmys call to arms was actually an old fashioned car horn , not a conch shell . : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqc6yRIHiW0

I left you, Belina, Satcher, Ingrid, Techno, Modelo Mike, the occasional Slater - Kelly was all Inlet - and a host of other characters out. Fun times for sure.

I was right.
 06/22/2023 01:14 PM

GREG

Joined Forum: 08/20/2003

I have been in Wilmington now for 2 years and was in Cocoa Beach for 14 years (pre and post dredge and fill). I remember the 6 weeks of flatness in January and June in CB but in my opinion, Brevard is better. Here it has been waist high or less for months. There are one or two good spots within a 50 minute drive in this part of NC. You can drive north 90 minutes to get it offshore when the winds howl from the north, but the form isn't great. And the dredge projects here have killed the waves here just like in Cocoa Beach. The traffic is getting worse with new housing going up every week, and there is no A1A so you have to drive inland to get from Carolina Beach up to Wrightsville, and from there to Figure Eight or Topsail. Brevard has near shore reef breaks, and you can drive an hour or two north or south to pickup swell in NSB or Reef Road. In Wilmington you have to drive to Hatteras which looks close but is still 4.5 hours away.

http://www.crsurf.com ~ CR Surf Travel Company

http://www.vacationsbygreg.com
Instagram - @crsurf
 06/24/2023 01:12 PM

eastcoastersrule

I'm guessing the Winter gets pretty good in the Wrightsville area. Is a 5-3 with gloves and hood necessary? Water Temp probably stays comfortable through November and gets warm again in March.

Edited: 06/24/2023 at 01:13 PM by eastcoastersrule
FORUMS : Surfing : Wrightsville beach vs.brevard

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146507 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .