Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: historical monuments
Topic Summary: text from a 1913 dedication speech
Created On: 08/17/2017 07:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/18/2017 07:28 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Originally posted by: obx2
Originally posted by: HAPDigital
Originally posted by: wbsponger Obx who then decided to have the monuments removed?  
Like I said, if there was a vote held, and the majority wanted them removed, then so be it. There was no vote/input from the public. It was just done by order of the mayor.  In fact, the 4 more removed in Baltimore were done at night. Fcking cowards........
You now ignore reality. Cowards want monuments of traitors and slavers.

You mean like this one? You litteraly suppor the actions of fools, who are ignorant of history, and don't even know what the fck they are doing. They are just doing it like a bunch of rabid freaks.

I'll use the liberal tactic of the false equivalent. You support these fools who are ignorant of history, therefore you yourself must be ignorant of history. And, one more time, America never considered them traitors,  untill now. In fact thet are legaly Veterans. But I wouldnt expect someone who is ingnorant of history such as yourself to grasp that. You literaly are supported the removal of statues of Vetrans....sit on that one for a second HAP.  

Never said I support illegal removal of statues. Not once...
 08/18/2017 07:31 AM

wtf

Joined Forum: 11/23/2005

Originally posted by: wbsponger Obx who then decided to have the monuments removed?  
Like I said, if there was a vote held, and the majority wanted them removed, then so be it. There was no vote/input from the public. It was just done by order of the mayor.  In fact, the 4 more removed in Baltimore were done at night. Fcking cowards........

You mean like this one? You litteraly suppor the actions of fools, who are ignorant of history, and don't even know what the fck they are doing. They are just doing it like a bunch of rabid freaks.

I'll use the liberal tactic of the false equivalent. You support these fools who are ignorant of history, therefore you yourself must be ignorant of history. And, one more time, America never considered them traitors,  untill now. In fact thet are legaly Veterans. But I wouldnt expect someone who is ingnorant of history such as yourself to grasp that. You literaly are supported the removal of statues of Vetrans....sit on that one for a second HAP.  

[IMG][/IMG]

I did not see one person supporting illegal removal of statues. Based on obies comments, he has confused his mind with what my and others message/opinion actually is and has reverted to labels, none of which i am, but call me whatever you want to make yourself feel better, makes no diff to me...

-------------------------
QOP = Terrorists
FK = Gay
 08/18/2017 07:41 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Yep, ripping the statues down is wrong and the people who did it will be charged. Do I understand why they did it? Yes, 100%. Knee jerk reaction seldom end well.

I've never even seen a Confederate statue, are they any in Central Florida?

I was right.
 08/18/2017 07:45 AM

obx2

Joined Forum: 04/10/2015

Originally posted by: wtf

[IMG][/IMG]

I did not see one person supporting illegal removal of statues. Based on obies comments, he has confused his mind with what my and others message/opinion actually is and has reverted to labels, none of which i am, but call me whatever you want to make yourself feel better, makes no diff to me...

I don't direct any labels to you, personally, WTF. The only two people I am labeling are Rusty, and Jdbman, because of their support of fascist tactics and/or being guilty of performing them.

I am OK with you supporting the legal removal of these statues. Doesn't mean it doesn't piss me off, to a great extent. The point I was trying to make about the peace statute is, these are the people who want them removed. Yet they are ignorant of history. Like I said, and I would love for someone to do a "boots on the ground" type of investigation,  I'd be willing to bet most in support of removal can't even name one battle, much less the dates of the civil war without Googleing it.

What I am not OK with, is the support of what the left wing terrorists did in VA, in repsonse to a legal, excerscise of the 1st amendmant. I am not OK with being labeled a "Nazi sympathizer" because I am really just supporting the 1st amendmant (even though I've said over and over again these guys are clowns). I am also not OK with the pass given to these terrorists by the media, and therefore gobbled up, and regurtitated by the useful idiots.

08/18/2017 07:54 AM

chopola

Joined Forum: 09/04/2004

Originally posted by: fishkller

At the end of the day, Obx- the majority of Americans disagree with the statues being in a public place, and since its a public place- the public decides.

You can have your opinion, as can anyone else, but the majority makes the move.

I remember smokers complaining when the public smoking amendment passed with 70% majority or something like that.. but they got the heave ho regardless.

There may have been a small crowd of Alt-Righters holding tiki torches rallied around the General in Virginia, but you could take that crowd times 10,000 and it wouldnt even make a dent on the amount of Americans who feel they need to be moved elsewhere.

This article about a recent NPR pole may surprise you. Seems the liberal media is just whipping their audience into frenzy. How about 44% of African Americans favor leaving the statues in place? https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/trump-is-more-in-touch-than-you-think/
 08/18/2017 07:56 AM

wbsponger

Joined Forum: 08/04/2003

Most of the people with stars and bars flying from their truck couldn't tell you anything about the civil war either.

You don't have to be a civil war school to be justified in wanting them give. You just have to know the basics: The war was fought to preserve the right for one race to own another. 

08/18/2017 08:01 AM

wbsponger

And young obx I actually agree with most of your second paragraph. I support the right of morons to speak freely showing the world what morons they are. This could be Nazi antifa or whomever. In Charlottesville both sides came armed for battle and they got it. Sadly one side stopped it up from battling each other to the murder ofinnocent people 

08/18/2017 08:10 AM

obx2

Originally posted by: wbsponger Most of the people with stars and bars flying from their truck couldn't tell you anything about the civil war either.

You don't have to be a civil war school to be justified in wanting them give. You just have to know the basics: The war was fought to preserve the right for one race to own another. 

Thank you for proving my point. Although it may be easier to understand it from such a myopic stance, the events that lead to the South not being allowed to secede from the Union are way more complex that that. I tried to list some of the events leading up to in, in the context of that time. But then I was labeled as "justifying slavery" and my attempt flew right over the heads of the myopics.

Most of the people flying the flag aren't doing so because of their knowledge of the Civil War, they are doing it as a symbol of their culture. Just like the rainbow flag flown by the LGBT community. However, the ones condemeing it, don't even know why they are flying it, and falsely eqaute them to treason. Its a damn shame for an entire culutre to be villianized, and removed because of the ignorance of others. This is your vision of America?

08/18/2017 08:33 AM

wbsponger

I don't understand. What point have I proved?

08/18/2017 08:38 AM

3rdworldlover

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Then blame the people from your culture that use it as a symbol for their bigotry and continuing calls for war against the USA.
 08/18/2017 08:59 AM

obx2

Originally posted by: 3rdworldlover Then blame the people from your culture that use it as a symbol for their bigotry and continuing calls for war against the USA.

I absolutely do. I said so in the very first post I made on this topic. These guy are fcking douche bags ruinging it.

You guys watch the Dukes of Hazzard? Do you consider them or the show racist? Of course not (at least I hope not), yet the drive a car named the General Lee with a big ol Confederate flag on it. I can't think of a finer example of the other side of the spectrum (as in, different than the fcking WSDs).

wbsponger - you've prove my point of a lot of people not truly understanding the events that lead up to the Civil War by saying "You just have to know the basics: The war was fought to preserve the right for one race to own another" 

Slavery was State rights, independance, pissed off about taxes, economic sanctions, objectified. (Did you guys know the South had strict regulations on who they were allowed to sell cotton too? The North needed it so badly, they sanctioned them from selling it overseas. Is that American?) Its fcking horrible, slavery in itself, but to say "the war was fought to preserve the right for one race to another" is way too much of a simplification and dishonest at best.

BTW, here is a decent write up of the times, pertaining to slavery:

http://www.loc.gov/teachers/classroommaterials/presentationsandactivities/presentations/timeline/expref/slavery/

08/18/2017 09:03 AM

Cole

Its fcking horrible, slavery in itself, but to say "the war was fought to preserve the right for one race to another" is way too much of a simplification and dishonest at best.

Who fucking cares, it was 160 years ago.

You've never even seen these statues you are arguing for, have you?

I was right.
 08/18/2017 09:22 AM

wbsponger

Obx It is a simplification but an honest and mainly accurate one. As people have pointed to you can look at the states declarations of causes they speak explicitly about maintaining the right to own slaves as a primary reason for succession amongst some other lesser arguments. 

Yes there were some other reasons mixed in there, but the driving factor was preserving their economic way of life via slavery. You seem to be preoccupied with proving this distinction that makes no difference. 

08/18/2017 09:49 AM

obx2

Originally posted by: Cole Its fcking horrible, slavery in itself, but to say "the war was fought to preserve the right for one race to another" is way too much of a simplification and dishonest at best. Who fucking cares, it was 160 years ago. Apparently the ones who want them taken down. Are you kidding me?

You've never even seen these statues you are arguing for, have you?  No I have not seen all of these statutes. I've been to a couple (the laser light show at Stone Mountain is pretty kick ass, btw) Its not like I'm a "confederate statue guru" or anything.  Its the fcking priciple, man. The principle of it all thats got me so wound up.

08/18/2017 09:58 AM

cheaterfiveo

Joined Forum: 08/29/2013

8 years of oblama and now your panties are up your ass about ffiinnnggg statues, newsflash nobody cares except you pussies
 08/18/2017 10:01 AM

wbsponger

The Southern heritage pussies?

08/18/2017 10:50 AM

obx2

Originally posted by: wbsponger Obx It is a simplification but an honest and mainly accurate one. As people have pointed to you can look at the states declarations of causes they speak explicitly about maintaining the right to own slaves as a primary reason for succession amongst some other lesser arguments. 

Yes there were some other reasons mixed in there, but the driving factor was preserving their economic way of life via slavery. You seem to be preoccupied with proving this distinction that makes no difference. 

Please read, note the treatment/position of the North pertaining to Slavery both before, during and after. Please also note the actual reason they were freed:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4p2967.html

08/20/2017 10:41 AM

3rdworldlover

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

"My favorite Civil War era monuments are the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments."
David Tanenhaus, Professor of History and Law, UNLV
 08/20/2017 10:59 AM

johnnyboy

There is a really big confederate monument in front of the Palatka courthouse.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

08/20/2017 11:33 AM

all3

Joined Forum: 12/28/2011

So this is just heritage? So the question is, why would someone want to claim traitors and losers as their heritage?

"I remember South Africa in the late 70's, sleeping on the beach at J-bay, smoking ganja with the blacks. On weekends we'd go to the pub in East London to drink beer and fight with the Afrikaners. They liked to fight, I liked to fight. It was a good time"
FORUMS : National Enquirer (FORMERLY NSR) : historical monuments

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .