Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Upside down America, , , ,
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/21/2017 06:58 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/21/2017 06:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

First-Grade Teacher Suspended Over 'Illegal Aliens' Post: School District
Deborah Hastings,Inside Edition 12 hours ago

A first-grade teacher in Washington was placed on administrative leave after urging people on Facebook to report suspected undocumented residents, school district officials said.

Cheriese Rhode, 29, allegedly posted a message last week encouraging citizens to inform Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents of those believed to be in the country without proper documentation.

The reported missive was posted in connection with last Thursday's "A Day With Immigrants" boycott, during which businesses closed and children were kept home from school to show the importance of immigrants in the United States.

"If this offended you in anyway (sic) do me a favor and unfriend my American a--!!!" the post said.

The message spawned phone calls, emails and visits to the Prosser School District, where 62 percent of students are Hispanic, the Tri-City Herald reported.

"Due to possible safety and security concerns, as well as concern for disruption of the school environment, this teacher has been placed on administrative leave pending (an) investigation," Prosser Superintendent Ray Tolcacher said in a statement.

"Please be assured that the views expressed by this teacher on her personal Facebook page do not in any way reflect the views, beliefs or values of the Prosser School District or its administration or Board of Directors," Tolcacher said.
((So, the school district has made it very clear that they do not support the rule of law??!!))
The post was later removed from Facebook and the teacher's page appears to have been taken down. She has not responded publicly to the district's statement.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 02/21/2017 07:00 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Good for them.

Gotta watch those Facebook posts.

I was right.
 02/21/2017 07:06 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Hopefully she sues the school district and wins.

02/21/2017 07:13 AM

Cole

report suspected undocumented residents

Kinda like your Jewish neighbors in 1930's Germany, eh Mike?

I was right.
 02/21/2017 07:43 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Originally posted by: Cole report suspected undocumented residents Kinda like your Jewish neighbors in 1930's Germany, eh Mike?

Reporting known foreign criminals, versus innocent citizens? Nope. You are not good with analogies and should stay away from them.

I :heart; Q
 02/21/2017 07:54 AM

Cole

How do you know they aren't citizens?

You don't.

I was right.
 02/21/2017 07:55 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

His analogy was accurate.
Calling people who just want to work and take care of their families "criminals" is what we need to stay away from.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 02/21/2017 08:11 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

The Nazis revoked Jewish citizenship a few years before they rounded everyone up.

Spying on and reporting your neighbors is a common thread of most totalitarian regimes.

Nice to see so many Americans would or will make good little Nazis. We see you. We're watching.

“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 02/21/2017 08:14 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

If they are in the U.S. illegally, they are criminals. And most of us are tired of these criminals getting away with it, while simultaneously taking our money. Hence we elected Trump. Britain voted to leave the EU. Germany may well ditch Merkel. Y'all parade around your sanctimony all you want, but you are on the wrong side of history and the people.

I :heart; Q
 02/21/2017 08:17 AM

miker

Originally posted by: Cole report suspected undocumented residents Kinda like your Jewish neighbors in 1930's Germany, eh Mike?

What is your point Cole?

I dont give a shit what she believes, what I do give a shit about is people removing her right to have these beliefs and express them with free speech.

Like I said, I hope she sues and wins.

02/21/2017 08:19 AM

miker

Originally posted by: RustyTruck The Nazis revoked Jewish citizenship a few years before they rounded everyone up. Spying on and reporting your neighbors is a common thread of most totalitarian regimes. Nice to see so many Americans would or will make good little Nazis. We see you. We're watching.

Speaking of Nazis .....doesn't restricting free speech fall under that. What is next, rounding up protesters on the streets and imprisoning them because they believe something contradictory to your beliefs?

02/21/2017 08:22 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

There are too many to put on trains all at once. You'll probably need to force them all into one part of the city and then cordon it off. A few who are able bodied could be brought out each day to work in the fields and build roads, at least until there is capacity to process them all for good.

“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 02/21/2017 08:24 AM

miker

If she made this post while at work, on school equipment, or on behalf of the school, the she should have been suspended.

What someone does on their own time to express their own political beliefs is their business and is protected under the US Constitution. So absolutely yes, if this is the case, I hope she sues and wins.

02/21/2017 08:32 AM

SuperTeeBird

Joined Forum: 12/08/2016

The only speech protections under the Constitution are freedom from government prosecution. Other arguments center around "the spirit of the Constitution" which may or may not be a thing.

You can be fired for speech.

02/21/2017 08:45 AM

miker

This was a public school i thought.

02/21/2017 08:52 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

I think most of you people are taking sides on this more based upon how you feel about undocumented immigrants and less on how you feel about freedom of speech.

In this case, I think her behaviour was horrible, but it shouldn't cost her a job.
But the reality is, teachers get fired for behaviour away from work all of the time.
They are never really away from work, they have no "free time".
Ask any of them as they are grading papers at home at night or spending their own salary on supplies.
It isn't just a job.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 02/21/2017 08:54 AM

Pagerow

Joined Forum: 12/22/2005

miker, when you sign up to be a teacher, you also agree to uphold Code of Ethics (if you are a republican, please look up the word ethics)

Many teachers have been fired for posting pictures of themselves on the beach in a bikini, or worse: having a beer!

So, making a public statement like that is an offense that can get you fired. And Freedom of Speech has nothing to do with it.

GOP:

Gaslight
Obstruct
Project
 02/21/2017 09:01 AM

SuperTeeBird

Joined Forum: 12/08/2016

Firing is not prosecution.

02/21/2017 09:27 AM

miker

So state and local level is different than the federal government when it comes to political views then? I know that as long as I play by the rules, I can't lose my job.

I thought the 14th expanded that to cover state and local public servants.

02/21/2017 09:32 AM

miker

I love the internet:

The Supreme Court has ruled that public employee speech involving matters of public concern constitutes protected speech under the First Amendment.

The U.S. Supreme Court first recognized that public employees could sue for retaliation in 1968. In the case Pickering v. Board of Education, 391 U.S. 563 (1968) the Court set out the balancing test that remains controlling law today:

"the interests of the [employee] as a citizen, in commenting on matters of public concern" must be balanced against "the interest of the State as an employer, in promoting the efficiency of the public services it performs through its employees."

In other words, if you bring a claim against your employer under the First Amendment, you must convince the court that your interest in speaking openly on a matter of public concern outweighs the government's interest in having an efficient workplace.

This is an important right, because, as the Supreme Court has conceded, government employees are often in the best position to learn the deficiencies in the government agencies for which they work. It is important to allow government employees to make these deficiencies open to the community, so the public can debate how to improve them.

Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .