Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The Simplest Solution to Restore First Peak
Topic Summary: New Edit
Created On: 11/28/2017 07:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/06/2017 06:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

consultrelkins@hotmail.com

Joined Forum: 11/17/2006

"...................Take 10 cases of TNT built a blast wall where you want to stop the blast and blow up the last 80 ft to old length. Done.
 12/07/2017 07:54 AM

TheFirstPeakProject

Joined Forum: 01/12/2016

Many of you are way over-thinking this whole thing.

We can get an experimental permit with support from the Corps' Engineering with Nature Division to grow more worm reef and have a wedge year-round.

If you go down to the inlet and surf this December and January you will see the worm reef around the pilings, the wedge has been working a little at low tide. Just go surf, then comment.  It is so easy on this forum to tell who actually SURFS the inlet.

If everyone on this forum pitched in $5 bucks and helped us gain positive support in the community, we can bring back First Peak.

If you guys don't like the wave, then we can remove the panels and call it a day.

Pompano & ClaimingDFL - You guys are epic and the FPP Team really appreciates both your approaches and supportive efforts. You guys are setting the example to the forum of what we need to do to get this done. Keep charging.

-------------------------

The First Peak Project is a 501(c)(3) public benefit organization whose mission is to restore the legendary wave First Peak at Sebastian Inlet to its former glory. 

www.firstpeak.org

Edited: 12/07/2017 at 09:13 AM by TheFirstPeakProject
 12/07/2017 12:57 PM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

Originally posted by: pompano

What is amateur is exactly this:  You and I are not professionals in how to detail improvements to wave conditions based on reflective boundary conditions.  We don't have experience to make qualified judgements to that fact.  Thus, we are amateurs by definition.  It is not disrespectful at all.  Worm rock comes and goes.  I can guarantee you that a wave will break based on the height of the wave to the depth of water to the sand beneath it, not based on how much sand is on the beach.  That is a fact.  My point goes directly to what FPP is talking about tackling.  Fixing the condition that will directly improve the rebound wave.  It sucks right now.  The engineered structure has to be improved.  They are not moving sand.  Sand is a secondary thing.  You can talk about sand all day long.  FPP is not going to do anything directly related to that.  You have aptly shown sand transport results in those pics.  It will always happen.  Fact. It will always be changing.  I'm not disrespecting you, I'm telling you what FPP has talked about ad infinitum as to what they hope to achieve first. 

Certon, as I stated earlier in this thread, I would match up to a cumulative kilobuck of total donations.  All my tithing goes to ocean, reef, and beach related causes.  It is my give back to the community that I live in.

FYI- I do have a degree in Marine Science, graduated in '96. My area of focus was coastal morphology. I worked under some amazing PHD's in the Carolina's who are well known in the field of Coastal Processes (Dr, Orin Pilkey and Dr Paul Gayes). During my time there we pioneered brand new beach and nearshore survey systems (from the dune out until about 3/4 mile offshore). The basis for the baselines and standards they use today. I also spent some time on NOAA ships doing vibra core samples along the east coast to map out old channels and determine historic coastline morphology. I currently work in the private sector as a govt contractor providing and supporting weather data to the NWS and FAA. I've also spent lots of time at the inlet over the last 25 yrs (first one out at dawn yesterday and one of last out of the water in the dark last night!). I'm not claiming to be an expert but I might know a little something about this topic.

Again, I'm not against FPP. I just see a very narrow scoped project and unless I missed it, little or no credible outside peer reviews.

FPP, if you get that permit to grow the reef, I will donate $500 (Certon and Pompano will match it)
 12/07/2017 05:07 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

Matt_t, I stand corrected, you are not an amateur.  I was in the grad track at UF under Dean in '90, but left after two semesters to take a job here in my undergrad discipline.  Let's just say I am much more in line with Pilkey than Dean. 

12/07/2017 06:50 PM

TheFirstPeakProject

Joined Forum: 01/12/2016

Originally posted by: matt_t FPP, if you get that permit to grow the reef, I will donate $500

matt_t - With all due respect, you have your order of operations incorrect.  We need donations to complete our permit application, to get the permit. We get the money, then we get the wave

These credential battles are cute, but hold little weight on this forum. For one this forum is anonymous and trolls hiding behind aliases frequently derail the conversations. Secondly, the more credentials you list, the more people resent you and hold you in contempt.  Welcome to 2017!

If you must know, at the First Peak Project, we all have advanced degrees in coastal engineering. Most of our thesis and dissertation work was completed at Sebastian Inlet while assisting the inlet's long standing annual sediment management and dredging. If you private message us and provide an email address, we'll be glad to send you electronic copies of these documents.  

We are presently working with FIT and the State Park geology team to set up a scholarship fund to perform the sediment monitoring in PARALLEL with the panel installation and the worm reef monitoring. Yes, if all goes well with FPP, some one will be able to earn an advanced degree in sustainable inlet management at FIT, while helping to maintain First Peak. In fact, one of our team members gave a lecture this semester at FIT regarding the wave science aspect of restoring First Peak.

The worm reef monitoring started in 2009 and in 2011 was awarded an ecology grant from the PADI Foundation.

We've posted open invitations on this forum many times to invite people to meet with the team and review some of the behind the scenes activity and potential.  We've also partnered with both local chapters of the Surfrider Foundation and we just held our 8th public forum this past Saturday, to a very small turnout.

Therefore we must reiterate.  The biggest impediment to FPP's success is lack of support from the surfing community. The science and technology is covered.  The scrutiny from the surfing community is well beyond the credentials and expertise of anyone not trained in the art.  However, we do apologize to those of you on here who have the scientific prowess, albeit your validity is watered down by the incessant trolling.

One last clarification.  The FPP does have a very narrow scope, and that is by design.  By working on a pilot project with full contingency under the guise of an Army Corps Experimental Permit, this project is practical and above all, economically feasible.  By making this a full-blown ecological, sediment, and wave science study fresh out the gates, we'll never succeed. These aren't our words, but rather the advice from some of the most prestigious and dignified coastal engineers in this country, who quid pro quo the anonymity of this forum, shall remain nameless.

We appreciate you bearing with us.

Cheers,

The First Peak Project is a 501(c)(3) public benefit organization whose mission is to restore the legendary wave First Peak at Sebastian Inlet to its former glory. 

www.firstpeak.org

Edited: 12/07/2017 at 08:49 PM by TheFirstPeakProject
 12/07/2017 09:21 PM

K07

Joined Forum: 09/02/2012

Yeah just watched some inlet cam rewind from the morning on 12/6.

I see some wedge.

3rd peak is clearly bigger/juicier though and it's not too out of the north either...

And yeah I don't surf the inlet much for a reason... clearly not the only one either... love me some Monster Hole though

You going to drop that sand video btw FPP?

12/08/2017 04:31 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Matt.t ,,, not true I was the first one out at dawn Tuesday

12/08/2017 08:06 PM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

I'm not matching donations at this point, but I'd really like to see the Inlet restored to a world class wave. One of these days I'll meet up with FPP and swig on some kool-aid to see if this makes sense, since $5 donations ain't gonna get it done in our lifetime.

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 12/08/2017 08:34 PM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

@fpp: ck pm

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 12/09/2017 01:34 PM

K07

Joined Forum: 09/02/2012

matt_t what are your thoughts on this study's findings as far as correlation between current state of 1st Peak and the changing state of the Sebastian Inlet system's bathymetry (you can read it all but mainly referring to illustrations on pages 20, 21, and 22):

http://www.sebastianinletdistrict.com/pdf/State_of_the_Sebastian_Inlet_Report_2013.pdf

Since you regurlarly surf the inlet, do you agree that on most solid swells from recent years it seems 3rd Peak/down the beach gets more energy than the 1st Peak zone?

FORUMS : Surfing : The Simplest Solution to Restore First Peak

<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .