Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Cuba!!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/17/2014 12:05 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/17/2014 12:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Obama marches on to an epic Presidency.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/obama-us-re-establishing-relations-with-cuba/ar-BBgUJV0

-------------------------
Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

12/17/2014 12:27 PM

surfsail

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

AboAbout frigging time!
I have many relatives in the UK that have been there several times, and plan to go back lots more..
A Canadian friend's folks were long time Florida snowbirds, but have been going to Cuba for the last 10+ years instead..

Lots of the 'disaffected' refugees had way to close ties with Batista - 'The good old Batista days'.. also Mafia connections.. Sin City - Cuba, and the rank and file average Cubans were being shit on by 'big business'...
That - because it was so extreme - was destined to be dismantled, and never to be replaced..
Not to say that some who were not on the take had land taken from them & left in disgust, but lots of them had land that was not rightfully theirs in the first place..
Not saying that the Cuban Government has been perfect by any means, but the concept of the '62 embargo itself is assine and out of touch..  Nothing has changed and never will because of it..  
The USSR 'fell' because they had a taste' of Western democracy..Cuba has never really been exposed to it - and the embargo definitely did not help..
Not all of us are Cuban refugee heritage, and I do not see why we should also  be blocked from going there if/when we want - especially since we do not have relatives there.
An island with ~6000 ft real mountains just 100 miles from Florida - wow!Where are there closest taller peaks in the continental USA?

There are NO white people at all in the Bible... take all the time you need with that...
Please stop feeding the trolls - they will go away if you do...
 12/17/2014 01:25 PM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

That is awesome! About time!

12/17/2014 09:39 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

I don't think we'll see American tourism to Cuba (beyond the "educational" stuff that's already possible) anytime soon.  But it looks like it would be easier for, say, people from Crocodile Lake National Wildlife Refuge in the Keys to visit Cuban croc experts and vice versa.  

The USSR fell partly because of plunging oil prices, something Putin's very aware of.  That's why they now have huge gold and foreign currency reserves.  

Falling oil prices affect Cuba because their big sponsor, Venezuela is facing a crisis over falling revenues from oil exports.  Right now would be a great time for Congress to approve a couple billion in energy infrastructure upgrades for the Caribbean countries that depend on Venezuela.  Electric power plants that use cheaper fuel (not from Venezuela) or solar.  

12/18/2014 06:26 AM

Sniper

Joined Forum: 09/24/2003

Originally posted by: daner
Obama marches on to an epic Presidency.

LOL, I guess that is why all the Democrats asked Obama to stay home and play Angry Birds instead of campaign with them this year. Obama is about to take Jimmy Carter's spot as the worst President for our economy, domestic policy, and foreign policy, in recent times.

I don't think I know a single Cuban American who has anything nice to say about the Cuban government.

I would still support this if it allowed us to travel to Cuba because it isn't really going to affect me and I would like to visit Cuba. It really just doesn't matter though.

"The government who robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul," - George Bernard Shaw

“Don’t underestimate Joe’s ability to f—k things up.” - Barack Obama

“End of quote. Repeat the line.” - wise words from Joe Biden
 12/18/2014 06:38 AM

Cole

Obama is about to take Jimmy Carter's spot as the worst President for our economy

If the Obama economy is bad, what would you call that of Bush?

And what about gas prices? If he was blamed for the high prices, he must be given credit for the low...yes?

I was right.
 12/18/2014 07:08 AM

havanabama

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

This is great news. As many of you know I once organized a sailboat race from Tampa to Havana The Havana Cup) for over 5 years until Elian Gonzalas washed up in Miami and Janet Renoe (sp?) went to Calle Ocho to get him. I was shut down due to politics, but the race was extremely successful. I've been to Cuba over 20 times. I have a God son there. I am a grindo FYI.

Now we get to watch the GOP try to stop this progress and listen to Rubio say all kinds of stupid shit, as he is already.

Once again , this is a good thing and finally a POTHUS has the cojones to do something positive for the Cubam people which will be rewarding for American businesses which will be glad to increase trade and influence.

Only Congrss can lift the Embargo, so don't expect to fly there for many more years, sad

Ah, religion, bigotry dressed up as morality.
 12/18/2014 07:30 AM

somebodyelse

Joined Forum: 06/29/2006

Do the Cuban people in America (Miami) want the embargo lifted???>>

No??? Florida in the last couple Presidential elections was on the table as a swing state and as a MUST win to be elected. Now, Obama may have thrown Florida into the Republicans laps...>>

If this affects the election to where Florida goes Republican, that may swing the election out of Hillarys reach... >>

Either she is going to support this as the Progressives have for the last 50 years, Castro being a Progressive icon, or she is going to ditch the Progressive ideals for a more conservative line in an attempt to not get shut down in an election... Lets watch and see what backpeddling and damage control Clinton does with this...>>

12/18/2014 07:40 AM

Greensleeves

America's best weapon against any nation is our brand of capitalism.  Once the people of any nation taste a Big Mac and get a load of Brittany Spears while making a deal with an American tourist/businessman it's all over. 

P.S. Florida is by no means a MUST win.   Obama 332 Mittens 206.  Durrr.

12/18/2014 07:51 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Originally posted by: somebodyelse
Do the Cuban people in America (Miami) want the embargo lifted

"Florida International University in Miami has been polling Cuban-Americans since 1991. Back then, 87 percent of Cuban-Americans supported the embargo, but after President Obama was elected in 2008, that shifted completely. For the first time in the poll's history, most Cuban-Americans said they disapproved of the U.S. embargo.

By 2011, that Obama effect had disappeared, Professor Guillermo J. Grenier, a co-principal investigator of the FIU Cuba Poll, told us. But in the 2014 poll, conducted this summer, a majority once again favored lifting the embargo."

" - 68 percent of respondents favor restoring diplomatic relations with Cuba.

- Among younger respondents, 90 percent of respondents favor restoring diplomatic ties.

- When you include only registered voters, 51 percent of them support continuing the embargo.

- 69 percent of all respondents favor the lifting of travel restrictions impeding all Americans from traveling to Cuba.

- 53 percent of respondents said they would be likely to vote for a "candidate for political office who supported the re-establishment of diplomatic relations."

- A large majority - 71 percent - responded that the U.S. embargo of Cuba has not worked at all or has not worked very well."

link

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 12/18/2014 08:01 AM

Sniper

Joined Forum: 09/24/2003

Originally posted by: Cole
Obama is about to take Jimmy Carter's spot as the worst President for our economy

If the Obama economy is bad, what would you call that of Bush?

And what about gas prices? If he was blamed for the high prices, he must be given credit for the low...yes?

We have been through this entirely too many times. You guys blame Bush for the Great Recession. We put the facts in front of you. You run away or go silent. And then you claim the same thing a few weeks later.

The collapse of Fannie and Freddie spurred the Great Recession, caused thousands of people to lose their homes, and prevented people from being able to sell their homes and move for jobs.

Barney Frank, the Democrat in charge of oversight of Fannie Mae, was in a sexual relationship with Herb Moses, a high-ranking Fannie Mae executive. No conflict of interests there, right?

In the 6 years leading up to the housing collapse, the Bush administration tried to reform Fannie and Freddie 16 times.

During this time, Barney Frank, the Democrat in charge of oversight of Fannie Mae, said the following when the Bush administration challenged the stability of Fannie and Freddie and proposed restructuring to avoid disaster:
"These two entities - Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac - are not facing any kind of financial crisis," said Representative Barney Frank of Massachusetts, the ranking Democrat on the Financial Services Committee. "The more people exaggerate these problems, the more pressure there is on these companies, the less we will see in terms of affordable housing." - Barney Frank

"I do think I do not want the same kind of focus on safety and soundness that we have in OCC [Office of the Comptroller of the Currency] and OTS [Office of Thrift Supervision]. I want to roll the dice a little bit more in this situation towards subsidized housing." - Barney Frank

"The more people, in my judgment, exaggerate a threat of safety and soundness, the more people conjure up the possibility of serious financial losses to the Treasury, which I do not see. I think we see entities [Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac] that are fundamentally sound financially and withstand some of the disaster scenarios." - Barney Frank

Maxine Waters said:
"Secretary Martinez, if it ain't broke, why do you want to fix it? Have the GSEs [government-sponsored enterprises] ever missed their housing goals? - Maxine Waters

I could post these all day but I am wasting my time. You are too far gone and will probably blame Bush again tomorrow.

"The government who robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul," - George Bernard Shaw

“Don’t underestimate Joe’s ability to f—k things up.” - Barack Obama

“End of quote. Repeat the line.” - wise words from Joe Biden
 12/18/2014 08:16 AM

Tomkat

Joined Forum: 12/06/2003

Originally posted by: Cole

Drop in gas prices coincided with a GOP sweep in the November election!

"Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each" - Henry David Thoreau
 12/18/2014 08:36 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Cuba?

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 12/18/2014 08:47 AM

TheWind

Joined Forum: 05/12/2013

We need to fix America first. US $17,000,000,000,000 in debt.

12/18/2014 08:49 AM

somebodyelse

Joined Forum: 06/29/2006

after President Obama was elected in 2008, that shifted completely. For the first time in the poll's history, most Cuban-Americans said they disapproved of the U.S. embargo.

By 2011, that Obama effect had disappeared, Professor Guillermo J. Grenier, a co-principal investigator of the FIU Cuba Poll, told us. But in the 2014 poll, conducted this summer, a majority once again favored lifting the embargo." >>

>

I did not know this ^^^>>

2008 they disapprove>>

2011 they approve>>

2014 they disapprove...>>

What will they be voting in 2016??>>

Clinton still has the problem of Either she is going to support this as the Progressives have for the last 50 years, Castro being a Progressive icon, or she is going to ditch the Progressive ideals for a more conservative line in an attempt to cater to the polls... The way this poll has swung back and forth in just the last 6 years we will have Hillary supporting doing away with the Embargo before she re-evaluates the poll and is against doing away with the embargo as elections near...>>

12/18/2014 09:11 AM

Greensleeves

Whoa, all the right wing superstars weighing in on this thread and oddly straying from the subject of Cuba...

I'm sure this is because Obama is doing a great thing for America which will undeniably be "something he did right" and they just can't stand it!

But face it, he's been smarter than the G Old P every step of the way.  

12/18/2014 09:14 AM

3rdworldlover

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

The 'Bush economy' without the real estate bubble =
the 'Obama economy' without artificial input from the Fed.

Recession

12/18/2014 09:16 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Originally posted by: Greensleeves Whoa, all the right wing superstars weighing in on this thread and oddly straying from the subject of Cuba...

I'm sure this is because Obama is doing a great thing for America which will undeniably be "something he did right" and they just can't stand it!

But face it, he's been smarter than the G Old P every step of the way.  

I am glad the embargo has ended. A very good thing for Florida. But the PiC did not do a great thing. The dunderhead is incapable of that.

I :heart; Q
 12/18/2014 09:33 AM

Greensleeves

12/18/2014 09:34 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

The embargo is up to Congress.  The President can't end it.  Congress won't.  

FORUMS : National Enquirer (FORMERLY NSR) : Cuba!!

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .