Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Rusty in JC Pennys???
Topic Summary: Stay Core!!!!!
Created On: 04/29/2009 01:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/29/2009 01:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

chris hampson

Joined Forum: 01/02/2007

"We're excited to bring Rusty's rich surf heritage to one of the nation's leading department stores," said Toby Bost, chief executive officer, La Jolla Group. "Rusty has been a core surf brand for 25 years, and has one of the most recognizable logos in the industry. The Rusty collection for JCPenney will offer authentic, beach-inspired products that appeal to a diverse, "aspirational and highly impressionable" young audience. We're stoked to add JCPenney to our growing list of premiere retail partners, while enhancing our growth at the core level."

"The R dot logo will stay in the core market, while a crown logo, above, will be the exclusive mark for Penney's"

Source
 04/29/2009 03:54 PM

wetspot

Joined Forum: 02/09/2005

Don't they already have Quiksilver at Dillard's?

-------------------------
That boy's got somethin' wrong with his medulla oblongata.

Edited: 04/29/2009 at 03:54 PM by wetspot
 04/29/2009 04:29 PM

chris hampson

Joined Forum: 01/02/2007

Yes, and Hurley and O'Neill. But the press release says "We're stoked to add JCPenney ... while enhancing our growth at the core level"

If you sell out, that's fine, everyone is entitled to make as much money as possible, that's why you start a company. But this is pretty disingenuous. Not to mention, they are making things harder for the core retailers that have supported them over the years.
 04/29/2009 04:54 PM

theglide

Joined Forum: 08/06/2003

All one has to do is open up a surfer magazine to realize that 80% of the pages are devoted to advertising.

This is the commercialization that Mickey Dora saw coming and spoke out against starting in the 60's.

The "core" is rotten.
 04/29/2009 05:14 PM

Buckets

Joined Forum: 01/03/2008

Who cares? Sell out, shmell out. I like to support companies that support our sport. Now that they're selling in a major retailer will only help support this company to grow larger. I'd rather this than drive down to the O'Neill Sebastian Inlet Pro and see the new sponsor "Hugo/Boss" SBI Pro. Or maybe "Sean John-a-bong" or "Calvin Kurl" jeans. Maybe Nautica could actually host an event, at least they're slightly related. I'll keep supporting our surf companies no matter how much they "sell out".

Sunshine makes me high.
 04/29/2009 05:47 PM

wetspot

When does a surf company become not a surf company?

04/29/2009 05:49 PM

Wv Slidr

Joined Forum: 01/08/2004

Cut-offs and a wife beater.
 04/29/2009 05:50 PM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

What's a rusty? Am I missing something? Authentic core? JcPennies...ha ha...that is very funny ironic...Thanks for the link.
 04/29/2009 06:03 PM

skatensurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2006

waiting for rdot rusty to post...
 04/29/2009 06:05 PM

twes311

Joined Forum: 12/01/2007

at least they will have the crown logo so we can all tell who the kooks are...
 04/29/2009 06:16 PM

wilbur

Joined Forum: 11/27/2006

It looks like the product sold in JCP will have a different logo. So I am guessing they are trying to stay true to core shops by giving them the original r dot logo which won't be available in JCP. Good for Rusty. As a company that has been around for a very long time, I really hope it helps them stay alive.
 04/29/2009 06:47 PM

Mike Hawkins

Joined Forum: 12/29/2005

I am surprised none of these big department stores are selling china boards like Costco and Sams !

Owner/Shaper Sonic Surf Shop, Sonic Surfboards
 04/30/2009 12:18 AM

big rick

Joined Forum: 02/20/2005

how about quiksilver, billabong, o'neill, and even rusty prior to this i used to buy at bigger department stores back in the day when i was middle and high schoolin.....

sorry, this has been in the big time stores for quite some time and honestly, WHO THE F_CK CARES

if you buy anything other than anything as far as a board, board shorts, Tshirts, wallets, sandals, hats, shorts, or underwear, outside of FL then youre not "core"

i don't know if any of you know this yet, but our industry is OBVIOUSLY a business..... its a HUGE one and we attract an extremely large market of people that are just surfers but wanna be surfers and people that are also just into our style of clothing because it looks cool

i don't think that anyone in here would not sell out like that if 1) times were tough like they are right now and you had the oppertunity of keeping you company a float by putting your stuff in a department store where you know its gonna sell, and 2) if you had already been across the nation and we offered to make more money by simply just offering your brand to more markets.....

if you think that rusty being in JC penny makes them not core, try checking out their epoxy surfboards that are made in f-ckin ching-chong-a-stan....

cut cost and sell out by not having any of your goods made here in america is what this company and this country has gone to and we can't figure out why we are in the shits with our economy.... here is one good reason and i'm sure you have seen plenty of other reasons and its all due to the fact that we wanna cut cost just to be more profitable.....

rust is our new example, live with it

peace

hey, i don't know if you read this yet ----------> I <3 16streets.com

thank you Sean O'hare

Delicious beer comes from here
 04/30/2009 04:32 AM

Long Beard

Joined Forum: 05/13/2007

quit surfing.

R I P Mama G.

@Salt.And.Savagery.Fishing

@Laserwolf.Laserwolf
 04/30/2009 04:38 AM

3rdworldlover

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

live with it?

no thanks
 04/30/2009 04:43 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

If you will remember, one of the first "uniforms" for surfers included the JCPenney pocket t-shirt, even before t-shirts with Hang Ten came out. JCPenney pocket t-shirt, white Levis and blue Keds. What could be more "core"?
 04/30/2009 05:21 AM

BalsaBill

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Originally posted by: garcia
If you will remember, one of the first "uniforms" for surfers included the JCPenney pocket t-shirt, even before t-shirts with Hang Ten came out. JCPenney pocket t-shirt, white Levis and blue Keds. What could be more "core"?

And a Pendleton.

I doubt anyone who would wear R. clothes would have even an inkling of what you're talking about.

Maybe if I have time later I'll weigh in here and tell you all about the real origins of "surf fashion".

Wooden Boards for Iron Men
 04/30/2009 05:30 AM

Cyborg Chaperone

Joined Forum: 11/26/2006

They're just clothes. That many stores sell. How is Jcpennys any different from pac sun, the beach scene, or anything else that I'm sure this brand can be found in the mall? And like everyone else has said.... you can find every other popular surf brand in the store- so whats the big fuss over Rusty now?

What the heck are you people scared of? More people having Rusty shirts? Get freaking real you goons, and find something real to worry about.

Edit it's 8:30 and this has been a very angry post by Cyborg.

Edited: 04/30/2009 at 05:30 AM by Cyborg Chaperone
 04/30/2009 05:32 AM

wetspot

Any brand name that survives probably goes thru four basic life phases: underground, "core", mainstream/big-entity-surf, mall/sellout.

A lot of it has to do with capitalizing on the market when your team surfer is hot; e.g., Kelly/Lisa and Quik/Roxy in the 90's, Rusty capitalizing when the Hobgoods broke out, Billabong/Occy, etc...

Sundek, Hang Ten, OP, and so many more than I can remember wound up at the mall in the JimmyZ section. Volcom and ...Lost will wind up there too someday.

You grow a company, you manage a company, you capitalize on a company, you get tired of it and want to go surfing again so you sell/sellout the company and retire. I can't really blame anyone for that.

Balsa Bill has some real nice shirts, and there's some nice Billabong shirts at the sample sales. I'd buy those at the mall if I couldn't get them here (and if they were on sale).

What can I say, people? Clothing really isn't that important.

04/30/2009 05:56 AM

killcutta

Joined Forum: 09/16/2003

This is not as bad as sales reps selling clothing at cost a block away from the shops that pay for his commission check... in my honest opinion.
FORUMS : Surfing : Rusty in JC Pennys???

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .