Hang 10... or as they now say...hit the lip!

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Peach tree pest
Topic Summary: Time for an Irma-distracting question
Created On: 09/07/2017 12:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/07/2017 12:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

garcia

For the past month, I have been battling a white beetle-type pest (less than a quarter inch long) that is eating the heck out of my peach tree leaves. I have seen them on my hibiscus, but, have never seen the amount of leaf damage as is on the peach. They have a hard shell and fly for short distances (basically to the ground where they hide in the grass clippings). And, they seem to know when I am hunting them. (Oftentimes, too many to believe it is coincidental, as soon as I spot one, it starts moving to the other side of the leaf.) They seem to come out in the early afternoon (there are a few in the morning, but, not many). On the downside, they are real leaf munchers; on the upside, they provide a satisfying "crunch" when I squash one. I don't typically spray (except with vegetable oil/baby shampoo mix, but it's too hot for that), so, basically, I am just curious as to what I am battling. I will continue the manual control.
 09/08/2017 03:49 AM

Dangermouse01

Sounds like the Sri Lankan weevil.
UF/IFAS page

Used to have them bad on my citrus trees, now only occasionally find one or two on the Lychee's.
I did apply some beneficial Nematodes a few years ago, to see if they helped. I guess they might have.
 09/08/2017 04:41 AM

garcia

That's them. Thanks. I dropped one into my rainbarrel and the goldfish took a taste, but, spit it out. But, as I wrote, they provide a satisfying crunch when I squeeze them. Probably one of my lesser worries right now, though.
Statistics
137668 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 10 users logged in.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Hello to Matt B