Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Transplanting Palms
Topic Summary: Best time of year and proper technique
Created On: 08/25/2016 05:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/25/2016 05:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

beachsidedad

Joined Forum: 01/25/2013

Have a couple of palms I bought at the plant sales a couple years ago.  Just stuck them in the ground to get them going.  They are looking real good now and I'm looking for a final location in the landscape for them.  Is there an ideal time of year to transplant them, certain techniques to moving them besides getting a large root ball, ammend the hole with a different kind of fill, add fertilizer? Any tips are appreciated.

08/26/2016 05:50 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

IHB1979

Joined Forum: 04/11/2013

I've had the best luck when root pruning. There's a description below from another forum.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/14751-transplanting/

I think the idea is to start the pruning many weeks before you plan on moving your palm. I've transplanted palms year round and I can't say which time of year is better. Maybe the safest time would as we transition into summer around May. 

What's interesting is I've moved palms of the same species, same time, same technique and one doesn't miss a beat while the other struggles for 6 months and dies. When transplanting I have the expectation the palm will lose a normal season of growth.

What species are you transplanting?

Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .