Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Spearfishing Question
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/27/2016 11:03 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/27/2016 11:03 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ummm

Joined Forum: 03/24/2014

I have spearfished in the Bahamas, but never off Brevard or Indian River counties. I do not have a boat. I would like to take my teenage son a few times this summer to a place where we can swim from shore. Any ideas would be apreciated. Thanks.

Edited: 08/03/2016 at 11:05 AM by ummm
 06/27/2016 11:42 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

I would try the coquina rocks around Patrick satellite beach and further south of Sebastian off Wabasso.

Wabasso is WAY better IMO more, snappers, where as off PAFB the only thing I have seen that is fair game to shoot are sheephead.

-------------------------
I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 06/27/2016 12:21 PM

ummm

Thanks man. what parking lot for those rocks off the AFB - hangers? Are there any rules for how far off shore one has to be to spearfish? 

06/27/2016 06:14 PM

equipeola

Joined Forum: 12/17/2009

100 yrds,, con 'flag'.

ola ~

06/28/2016 10:15 AM

ummm

Thanks for the info. Any other easy to reach spots would be appreciated.

06/28/2016 10:25 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Pretty much Hangers south to the Radison is all a mixture of coquina and worm rock/reef. It always changes a little due to sand covering and exposing sections, however I have had luck at Hangers, Rc's and behind Balsa Bill's shop. Typically the winter is when the water clears up a bit but as equipeola mentioned always have the flag, and be careful!

The main beach at wabbasso or the first park south of the inlet are good spots, and much more life down there: lobster nurse sharks, grouper etc.

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 06/29/2016 04:08 AM

onebuck

Joined Forum: 01/27/2008

used to have a buddy that would venture out at the pier in the am...would blast(Hawaiian sling)em...but they were all usually sheepers,sheap heads...but still some water time and.structure....

06/29/2016 05:11 AM

Mufasa

Joined Forum: 08/06/2003

wabasso, vero, ft. pierce all have solid reef structure you can snorkel to from shore. there are some good ledges down there, lots of life on them. mainly you will get sheepshead and snapper, but may luck into a few other things. like everyone said, take a flag, and I would recommend taking SUP's if possible. It allows you to put a bucket up on the board so you can get the fish up and out of the water. those reefs do tend to have sharks cruising them, but they dont really bother you. Still, no reason to tempt them. Having and SUP also allows you to move out to the further reefs, or down the beach to other sections easily if you are having trouble finding fish. Summer is actually better, less wave action allows the water to clear up. Go on high tide on a flat day with morning offshores, and it should be pretty good. Spearboard.com has a thread for beach vis that is usually updated regularly. good luck.
 06/29/2016 07:14 AM

kreidel

Joined Forum: 08/27/2009

Originally posted by: onebuck

used to have a buddy that would venture out at the pier in the am...would blast(Hawaiian sling)em...but they were all usually sheepers,sheap heads...but still some water time and.structure....

From FWC website...

You may not spearfish within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed.

06/29/2016 09:17 AM

onebuck

Joined Forum: 01/27/2008

Originally posted by: kreidel
Originally posted by: onebuck used to have a buddy that would venture out at the pier in the am...would blast(Hawaiian sling)em...but they were all usually sheepers,sheap heads...but still some water time and.structure....

From FWC website... You may not spearfish within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed.

i know this sporty....

06/29/2016 05:59 PM

kreidel

Joined Forum: 08/27/2009

Just posted it for ummm really.

I used to have my products license and made a little money shooting sheepshead, mangrove snapper and tripletail (back when TT were legal to shoot) from bridges and the port and even though I knew the laws it never hurt to be reminded. A couple guys I knew that did that too wore the silver bracelets harvesting were they shouldn't.

06/29/2016 06:09 PM

ummm

Thanks for all the info. It is greatly appreciated.

I will try and get a list of the regs since I didn't realize some fish are off limits besides, of course, nassau and goliaths. Any other rules or tips would be great. 

07/11/2016 03:48 AM

nukeh2o

Joined Forum: 03/18/2016

Drive to ft. lauderdale or boca raton. Really nice nice coral reefs short distance from shore. Also john d mcarthur park and blowing rocks have some nice close in structure. except these days all the sea life has been poisoned by pig sugar's lake okeechobee blue green algae nightmare in pb and martin counties

It's a democratic hoax
 08/01/2016 11:31 AM

ummm

I think we are going tomorrow. Thanks for all of the input.

Any final thoughts on specific streets to park on From Hangers to Melbourne? I'm going to take it slow with my son and go somewhere close for his first time to see if he likes it. If he does, Wabasso will prob be stop #2. 

Edited: 08/03/2016 at 07:38 AM by ummm
 08/30/2016 07:06 AM

meditateandeducate

Joined Forum: 03/06/2011

Old thread but....I've only speared from shore in the summer time in the IHB and Indialantic area when the swell was non existant.....Any luck in the winter time in those areas? I know it gets clear but seems like a non existent window with 0 swell?.....not talking offshore or inshore just in that near shore surf zone.

Photobucket

Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .