Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Politics Explained
Topic Summary: Real insight for a change...maybe.
Created On: 06/21/2017 07:15 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/21/2017 07:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SuperTeeBird

Joined Forum: 12/08/2016

06/22/2017 05:24 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

good read, true progressives rule!

Nailed the description of conservatives, from the article:

"Conservatives believe in a what Lakoff calls the "strict father family," while progressives believe in a "nurturant parent family." In the strict father family, father knows best and he has the moral authority. The children and spouse have to defer to him, and when they disobey, he has the right to punish them so they will learn to do the right thing."

-------------------------
I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 06/22/2017 06:48 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

"Berkeley could also reframe the word "freedom" when it comes to the demonstrations that have started taking place here, Lakoff said. "The protestors are trying to claim that what they are doing is Free Speech, but assemblage for the purpose of beating people up is not freedom," Lakoff said. "You have the freedom to walk down the street, but not the freedom to keep other people from walking down the street: you don't have the freedom to impose on other people's freedom. The alt-right doesn't have the right to come here and beat people up, and neither does Antifa."
 06/22/2017 07:09 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Interesting read .... tks Tee

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 06/22/2017 07:12 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 06/22/2017 07:57 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

There's no doubt that all that played a role. Trump's messaging was brilliant. But, it was more that he was the right candidate for the right time. Clinton was not. Anyway, his book looked interesting, so I bought it. I hate to subsidize progs, but sometimes you can learn from them.

I :heart; Q
 06/22/2017 08:03 AM

SuperTeeBird

06/22/2017 08:06 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Interesting read. But not sure I agree with "voters don't vote their self-interest, they vote their values."

Many conservatives I know vote for one reason. Personal greed.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

06/22/2017 08:24 AM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: daner Interesting read. But not sure I agree with "voters don't vote their self-interest, they vote their values." Many conservatives I know vote for one reason. Personal greed.

Sure, who doesn't. I also vote to bring back slavery, screw the poor, make the rich richer, and to kill Americans. Ask any prog - they know why we vote conservative and are happy to tell you.

06/22/2017 08:26 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Trump was not brilliant, he was more base. That was where he was effective.

This guy has the keys to the democrats success, if they care enough to try.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

06/22/2017 08:37 AM

tpapablo

No, he was brilliant. You don't beat who he beat by being dumb. But, I'd encourage you progs to continue to regard him that way. Always a good idea to underestimate your opponents.

06/22/2017 08:55 AM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Originally posted by: tpapablo No, he was brilliant. You don't beat who he beat by being dumb. But, I'd encourage you progs to continue to regard him that way. Always a good idea to underestimate your opponents.
Trump is not smart. He just copied Hitler's tactics from the 30's. Nothing new, nothing smart. It was good timing with a lot of help from Russia on the propaganda side. If anyone is smart it is Putin. Having ignorant followers doesn't make Trump smart.
 06/22/2017 11:10 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

An opinion piece--with truth behind it!

2017-06-22-5ef6910a_large.jpg

The Trump-Russia collusion conspiracy has been on life support for weeks now, half-heartedly propped up by a few Democrats and their Leftmedia allies, but after a fourth straight special election loss, some Democrats are suggesting pulling the plug on their scandal narrative. It has now become unquestionably apparent that the Democrats' strategy of employing a scorched-earth anti-Trump obstructionist tactic is failing, and failing miserably. In fact, as Rep. Tim Ryan (D-OH) observed, "Our brand is worse than Trump."

Democrats are now in the midst of a strategy pivot, not uncommon in the game of politics. As with any competition, those who find themselves losing the game must change tactics or risk greater defeat. With Donald Trump's surprising election victory, Democrats were caught flat-footed, but they refused to relinquish the fight for the White House. They opted to double down on attacking Trump with the goal of delegitimizing his presidency at the very least and publicly entertaining the possibility of Nixon-like scandal leading to impeachment. This was a poor play on their part and served only to act as a distraction to the MSM, themselves and their constituents while exposing them to the majority of America as sore losers interested primarily in clawing for power.

Now Democrats are stepping out to do damage control. Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT) noted this week, "The fact that we had spent so much time talking about Russia ... has been a distraction from what should be the clear contrast between Democrats and the Trump agenda, which is on economics." Rep. Joseph Crowley (D-NY) reiterated this talking point saying, "The shiny object which is Russia and the Trump administration is in many ways a smokescreen for Mitch McConnell and the Senate to do things they probably wouldn't be able to get away with if the public and media were paying more attention. We're guilty of that to some degree."

Democrats are also working to pull the plug on their impeachment narrative, realizing it has only served to expose them as being blind partisans and uninterested in abiding by the choice of the people. So, how do Democrats back off their calls for impeaching Trump without giving ground on their anti-Trump bias? They vilify Vice President Mike Pence. Hence this statement from Sen. Al Franken: "Pence ran the transition and some of the very worst nominees, I felt ... were Pence selections, clearly, I think. He's ideological, I consider him a zealot, and I think that in terms of a lot of domestic policy certainly would be worse than Trump." A convenient excuse, but make no mistake, if they really had enough evidence to impeach Trump they'd do it in a heartbeat

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 06/22/2017 11:20 AM

SuperTeeBird

There's a political downside to playing the long game.

It's clearly best (or at least, more honest) to soldier on through the local minima for the long term gains.

06/22/2017 11:27 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Russia gate
ain't about
politics
It's about
treason

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill

Edited: 06/22/2017 at 11:48 AM by WG
 06/22/2017 11:39 AM

SuperTeeBird

Another way to say what I said.

The reality card wins the long game. In this case, treason is the political pot 'o gold. Bernie is a leprechaun.

06/22/2017 11:45 AM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: crankit An opinion piece--with truth behind it!

2017-06-22-5ef6910a_large.jpg

The Trump-Russia collusion conspiracy has been on life support for weeks now, half-heartedly propped up by a few Democrats and their Leftmedia allies, but after a fourth straight special election loss, some Democrats are suggesting pulling the plug on their scandal narrative. It has now become unquestionably apparent that the Democrats' strategy of employing a scorched-earth anti-Trump obstructionist tactic is failing, and failing miserably. In fact, as Rep. Tim Ryan (D-OH) observed, "Our brand is worse than Trump."

Democrats are now in the midst of a strategy pivot, not uncommon in the game of politics. As with any competition, those who find themselves losing the game must change tactics or risk greater defeat. With Donald Trump's surprising election victory, Democrats were caught flat-footed, but they refused to relinquish the fight for the White House. They opted to double down on attacking Trump with the goal of delegitimizing his presidency at the very least and publicly entertaining the possibility of Nixon-like scandal leading to impeachment. This was a poor play on their part and served only to act as a distraction to the MSM, themselves and their constituents while exposing them to the majority of America as sore losers interested primarily in clawing for power.

Now Democrats are stepping out to do damage control. Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT) noted this week, "The fact that we had spent so much time talking about Russia ... has been a distraction from what should be the clear contrast between Democrats and the Trump agenda, which is on economics." Rep. Joseph Crowley (D-NY) reiterated this talking point saying, "The shiny object which is Russia and the Trump administration is in many ways a smokescreen for Mitch McConnell and the Senate to do things they probably wouldn't be able to get away with if the public and media were paying more attention. We're guilty of that to some degree."

Democrats are also working to pull the plug on their impeachment narrative, realizing it has only served to expose them as being blind partisans and uninterested in abiding by the choice of the people. So, how do Democrats back off their calls for impeaching Trump without giving ground on their anti-Trump bias? They vilify Vice President Mike Pence. Hence this statement from Sen. Al Franken: "Pence ran the transition and some of the very worst nominees, I felt ... were Pence selections, clearly, I think. He's ideological, I consider him a zealot, and I think that in terms of a lot of domestic policy certainly would be worse than Trump." A convenient excuse, but make no mistake, if they really had enough evidence to impeach Trump they'd do it in a heartbeat

Oh well, all good things much come to an end. As progs are the dumbest life form on the planet, I had held out hope that they'd continue on this course. Unfortunately, it appears that some of them are starting to see the unparalleled idiocy of this Russian and impeachment business. But, their policies won't get them much further. Don't think they will pick up many votes with their "we will let in more terrorists to kill you" type of policies.

06/22/2017 11:48 AM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: WG Russia gate ain't about politics at all It's only about treason

Right. No politics at all. Hope your side of the prog divide prevails and y'all keep at it. We need a supermajority in the Senate.

06/22/2017 11:50 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

head in sand won't work when the indictment and subpoenas start flying
my sources are not progs nor democrats

just patriots

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 06/22/2017 11:52 AM

SuperTeeBird

You're right, we should get our tactics from you Pablo, the opposition.

FORUMS : National Enquirer (FORMERLY NSR) : Politics Explained

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .