Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Big Pharma
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/24/2016 07:02 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/25/2016 05:36 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Originally posted by: tpapablo 

That's what capitalism is about. All businesses do that. Not a very libertarian viewpoint.  If I really, really need to surf, should shapers lower their profit margins for me?

Define need?

Is it like needing a kidney or an antibiotic for a staph infection?

A standard principal of free market capitalism is that all transactions are between fully consenting parties without coersion. There are cases in medicine where the provider has a lot of leverage that a surfboard shaper does not, no matter how much you "need" to surf.

There are natural monopolies in health care. These may exist when demand volume is low but the demand that exists is critical to the demandee. In these cases the high price of the product or service will not entice new players into the market because the volume of demand is too small. Rare fatal diseases with expensive cures or treatments fall into this category. The price naturally has to be high for any profit at all. Sucks if you ever need such a service or product. Double sucks if the provider takes advantage of the monopoly to gouge. Life saving products and services that fall into this category should probably be price controlled if not outright subsidized.

Of course there are a multitude of regulatory monopolies, patent manipulators, etc... We obviously need to fix these.

Then to really control costs I could write my canned rant about the insurance market and how we pay for basic care but that horse is liquified. Or you could just go read a Milton Friedman essay on the topic that dates back to 1968.

-------------------------

FORUMS : National Enquirer (FORMERLY NSR) : Big Pharma

<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .