Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Followers of Jesus
Topic Summary: You may call yourselves Christians
Created On: 05/25/2016 04:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/25/2016 04:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sandi

Joined Forum: 03/26/2007

Do you think the laws of The U.S.A. should reflect Christian values?

Or any religious values, for that matter.

Or should our laws be impartial to any one religion?

And why?
 05/25/2016 06:30 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

This offends my Satanic sensibilities, , , , ,

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 05/25/2016 07:51 PM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

I know your are trolling, but I will play anyways.

Religious ideology influencing policy at its core goes against what the founding father of this country believeds and against what true freedom. The United States is supposed to be a free country and not just a free country for Christians. Freedom to believe what you will when it comes to your creator(s) or not beleive anything at all, as long you your beliefs or lack thereof do not infringe upon constitutional rights of another person.

We are not Iran.

05/25/2016 08:16 PM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

reflect, sure

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 05/25/2016 09:27 PM

RioSirju

Joined Forum: 04/15/2011

just wiki'd church and state...

Agree with Miker on the founding fathers

The Treaty of Tripoli

Main article: Treaty of Tripoli

In 1797, the United States Senate ratified a treaty with Tripoli that stated in Article 11:

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.[75]

According to Frank Lambert, Professor of History at Purdue University, the assurances in Article 11 were "intended to allay the fears of the Muslim state by insisting that religion would not govern how the treaty was interpreted and enforced. President John Adams and the Senate made clear that the pact was between two sovereign states, not between two religious powers."[76]

Supporters of the separation of church and state argue that this treaty, which was ratified by the Senate, confirms that the government of the United States was specifically intended to be religiously neutral.[77] The treaty was submitted by President Adams and unanimously ratified by the Senate.

05/25/2016 10:43 PM

sandi

super interesting document.

our government was never meant to reflect any religious beliefs.

thank you...
 05/26/2016 03:16 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

maybe is was meant to "reflect" all of them.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 05/26/2016 06:04 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

When the constitution was written islam was a driving force in the colonies?

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 05/26/2016 06:05 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Use your Google Search

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Barbary_War

“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 05/26/2016 07:47 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

The Constitution was written When?

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 05/26/2016 08:01 AM

skatensurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2006

Originally posted by: miker
Religious ideology influencing policy at its core goes against what the founding father of this country believeds and against what true freedom.

i disagree. if you have a nation of mostly christians and religious ideology drives their personal political beliefs, naturally the laws will become more skewed towards the christian values. if the lawmakers really listen to the citizens and the citizens mostly want christian values, then that is what's going to happen. as you said as long as they do not infringe upon constitutional rights of another person i don't really see the problem. the big thing to me is religion should never be used as a "tiebreaker"
 05/26/2016 08:02 AM

dab

Joined Forum: 08/08/2003

Originally posted by: sandi Do you think the laws of The U.S.A. should reflect Christian values? Or any religious values, for that matter. Or should our laws be impartial to any one religion? And why?

Just as water, commonly referred to as H2O in it's pure form would be detrimental to drink, it is detrimental to isolate any event in history from all other events that previously occurred or are occurring at the time of the event.

H2O - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Properties_of_water

Here is a link to a Socio/Political/Intelectual aurgument that is Elightning. 

http://lostislamichistory.com/how-muslims-helped-cause-the-american-revolution/

Remember the next time you drink water your not consuming just H2O.

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

05/26/2016 08:03 AM

RustyTruck

Originally posted by: crankit

The Constitution was written When?

1787? When did you think it was written? When do you think we had trouble with North African Muslim kidnappers and pirates?

“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 05/26/2016 08:32 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Originally posted by: skatensurf
Originally posted by: miker Religious ideology influencing policy at its core goes against what the founding father of this country believeds and against what true freedom.

i disagree. if you have a nation of mostly christians and religious ideology drives their personal political beliefs, naturally the laws will become more skewed towards the christian values. if the lawmakers really listen to the citizens and the citizens mostly want christian values, then that is what's going to happen. as you said as long as they do not infringe upon constitutional rights of another person i don't really see the problem. the big thing to me is religion should never be used as a "tiebreaker"

What exactly are you disagreeing with? I agree with you that if most elected officials are christian that policy will naturally become skewed towards that belief system, that doesn't make it right.

The truth is that we have solid history in our country of Christian values infringing upon the constitutional rights of other people. For example, the very same arguments being made against LGBT rights and gay marriage were being made against african american rights and women's rights in the past.

Then you have other issues like this fictional war on Christmas that right wing whack jobs invented. Christmas and Christian traditions should get no special treatment in this country and should not be allowed in public domain (no ideology should), however the right is quick to damn anyone pointing that out. The hypocrisy of it comes to light when other religious groups demand equal treatment and put up there satanic / muslim / wiccan / whatever displays next to a Christmas Tree.

Then there are those people who make comments about wanting prayer back in school, but balk at the idea of allowing prayer of other religions and refuse to accomodate the beliefs of others because they aren't Christian.

The sad thing about it is that most people are so blinded and brainwashed by their religious beliefs that they cannot even begin to understand the problem with this sort of thing....

05/26/2016 08:56 AM

skatensurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2006

Originally posted by: miker

Originally posted by: skatensurf
Originally posted by: miker Religious ideology influencing policy at its core goes against what the founding father of this country believeds and against what true freedom.

What exactly are you disagreeing with? I agree with you that if most elected officials are christian that policy will naturally become skewed towards that belief system, that doesn't make it right.

I don't have a problem with christian ideology influencing policy. It influences the way that the majority of the country live their lives so why shouldn't it influence policy? The caveat is that the influence should not be coming directly from the lawmakers it should come from the constituents. And all religion should have the same influence, but naturally the demographics of this country will center everything around christianity.

I agree with the rest of your post, those situations are all problematic. The weird thing about christmas is that it has sort of become two events at the same time, a religious one and a cultural one. to some it is more cultural than religious and to some it is more religious than cultural.
 05/26/2016 10:14 AM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

Originally posted by: RustyTruck
Originally posted by: crankit The Constitution was written When?

1787? When did you think it was written? When do you think we had trouble with North African Muslim kidnappers and pirates?
trick question. that happened last year, brobro. 2/5

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 05/26/2016 10:54 AM

RustyTruck

Didn't start last year Bob, but glad to see you're there to remind me to keep it on Cranky's level.

Let me rephrase, "When did you think our founding fathers had trouble with North African Muslim kidnappers and pirates?

And let me add that in the face of the same sort of brutal uncivilized pseudo-religious conservative Muslim rhetoric we still hear from primitive Barbarians today, they did not give in to religious bigotry.

05/26/2016 12:10 PM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

Originally posted by: RustyTruck Didn't start last year Bob, but glad to see you're there to remind me to keep it on Cranky's level. .
Your welcome & no worrys. Remember, trollPandaPanda is /will be taking over hall monitor duties soon.

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 05/26/2016 06:36 PM

sandi

reading the constitution, it seems the founding fathers didn't want the government imposing any particular religion on the american population. however, our laws may include certain beliefs that may reflect beliefs found in different religions. smart.
 05/26/2016 07:56 PM

follydude

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Lame, boys. Remember when the colonies were essentially separate religious fiefdoms?

Puritans, Calvinists, Catholics, Heugonots, and so on...

That's what the Constitution changed.

FORUMS : National Enquirer (FORMERLY NSR) : Followers of Jesus

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .