Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Progs are just incompetent idiots:
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/02/2016 05:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/03/2016 07:45 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

I am of the philosophy of drive whatever you want. I wish progs would let the rest us do the same.

-------------------------
I :heart; Q
 03/03/2016 07:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Wookie

Joined Forum: 01/12/2015

Who is stopping you?  Or are you just sensitive when you get flipped off in your hummer?  Probably a little less scary than a lift kit boy one inch from my eco-bumper, eh?  Depends on the person I guess.

Wiki wiki

03/03/2016 07:58 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Originally posted by: Wookie

The cons I see are limited range, power company transmission losses (they are small), battery disposal/recycling and recharge time.

Natural resource limitations for the battery production (mainly lithium) and rare earth magnetics for the motors will have some negative contribution as well (environmental impact and total energy consumption required to harvest, refine, and manufacture final product). Similar case for the chemical waste byproducts of PV cells and LED lighting.

But manufacturers and regulators recognize that and are working toward it.

The pros are manifold.

Indeed: 1500 horses
 03/03/2016 08:37 AM

Wookie

Aside from that and other obvious pros, I am hoping for in-wheel motors.

No traditional drivetrain.  Adaptive power.  Hopefully sufficient (and adaptive) induction braking.  Will admittedly have an effect on unsprung weight.

Wiki wiki

03/03/2016 08:49 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

I think they should have govenors on roads so when you pull onto a road you can only go a certain speed, to help people with a heavy foot.

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 03/03/2016 09:18 AM

Wookie

Yeah, along with all this someone should come up with a standard self-driving car and managed highway software/hardware architecture.

Wiki wiki

03/03/2016 10:20 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Originally posted by: Wookie
Aside from that and other obvious pros, I am hoping for in-wheel motors.

I was following these guys for a while, but haven't heard anything new in a while.

I would certainly allow them to guinea-pig my car for data collection.
 03/03/2016 10:24 AM

Wookie

Cool.

Wiki wiki

03/03/2016 10:35 AM

follydude

Originally posted by: Fish Killer

Originally posted by: follydude

Plant some solar panels on the roof.

Charge the electric vehicle.

Winning.

How big of a solar bank would that take to charge it in a reasonable amount of time?

How much would that solar bank cost you?

Ever do the math?

Didn't think so!

Loosing!

I know my chances of having an informed conversation with FK are about as good as my chances of winning the lottery, but here it goes:

I used to work with this guy and he is very happy with his set up. I'm posting the entire article from the paper that ran last September. The (Charleston) Post & Courier has a paywall, so here it is.

National Drive Electric Week: Local man charges his electric vehicle with solar panels

FOLLY BEACH - Ever since electric vehicles hit the American market five years ago, there's been debate over whether "EVs" are truly green.

Well, people like Folly Beach's John Manzi appear to be ending the debate - tipping the scales decidedly toward EVs being a clear, greener choice.

The 70-year-old is charging his new BMW i3 electric car, purchased in January, with solar panels that were installed on his Little Oak Island house in July.

Manzi, a retired college professor, aquaculturalist and developer, said he and wife Judy have been looking to lessen their carbon footprint for years.

Teslas appealed to him but were too expensive. The luxury vehicles currently start at $80,000.

Less expensive EVs, such as Nissan's Leaf and Chevrolet's Volt, were available, but Manzi also admitted to suffering what many do when it comes to electric cars: range anxiety.

"People suffer range anxiety. I don't care what the range is - 150 miles or 300 miles. You'll still have anxiety about will I get to that next charging station or enough power to get home," Manzi said.

But then BMW introduced its i3, which has the option of a "range extender" - a two gallon, gas-powered generator for the battery.

Unlike a hybrid or the Volt, the generator is not attached to the drive train and doesn't kick in until the battery is nearly depleted. The extender will provide him with about a 70-mile buffer.

For Manzi, the car also was within his price range of about $43,000, not including a $7,500 federal income tax credit.

Another advantageous development took place.

The state passed a law about net metering making solar power for his house more economically beneficial.

Manzi got estimates from three local solar companies, which he described as all professional and thorough, to install photovoltaic panels and went with Edgewater Energy Services.

He had 32 280-watt panels put on his roof, some on flatter portions and others on pitched sections. The cost was about $30,000, but he'll get about $16,000 back in the form of federal and state tax credits.

With net metering, he anticipates the solar panels will pay for themselves via energy savings within five years.

Over the course of a year, the system is expected provide 100 percent of his energy needs for their 3,000-square-foot home and his electric car.

And he can monitor the energy production in real time with an app on his tablet computer.

"It's all come together this year," said Manzi, noting his interests in technology, reducing their carbon footprint and saving money.

Manzi is disappointed he won't be able to make an event coming up on Saturday.

Across the nation, electric car enthusiasts and environmental advocates will come together for events related to National Drive Electric Week.

The promotion is presented by Plug In America, the Sierra Club and the Electric Auto Association.

In Charleston, it will take place Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Local Works, 1600 Meeting St.

Nearly 25 local electric car owners and operators will be on hand with an array of vehicles currently on the market for people to see or test drive.

Sharon Foxworthy, one of the organizers of the event, said the event also will feature industry-related vendors providing information on solar panels, charging stations and other related products.

http://www.postandcourier.com/...-greener-electric-car

03/03/2016 10:56 AM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

Originally posted by: FishKilller Did I mention I'm gay?
It's common knowledge that most trolls who create troll-tribute usernames are. (Not that there's anything wrong with that) . 1/5 & Continue, FishKaitlyn.

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 03/03/2016 02:57 PM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

FishKaitlyn.

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 03/03/2016 03:05 PM

3rdworldlover

Lol
 12/10/2017 12:06 PM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

isgust;
 12/10/2017 12:07 PM

Fish Killer

Joined Forum: 10/09/2005

^^^^spam^^^

The REAL truth is....both of the forum idiots are OWNED.
-BOTH of them have no clue who their owner is.
-They are both card carrying narcissists.
^These are PROVED facts.

Edited: 12/10/2017 at 12:14 PM by Fish Killer
 12/10/2017 05:04 PM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Originally posted by: Fish Killer ^^^^spam^^^
Yes his posts are repetitive, insulting, demeaning and defamatory.
FORUMS : National Enquirer (FORMERLY NSR) : Progs are just incompetent idiots:

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .