Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Topic Summary: Ouch!
Created On: 08/19/2014 02:55 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/19/2014 02:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Fish Killer

Joined Forum: 10/09/2005

From Amazon.com on the opening page of her book, Hard Choices by Hillary Clinton:

Customer Reviews

Overall, the book was a boring, dry read.
Frank Dejoy
Not worth the money, wait until someone throws the book away and then dig it out of the trash if you really think you need to read it.
J
It's just too obvious and so much so that it detracts from the book.
Carl Frederickson

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

96 of 105 people found the following review helpful By Alexa Hoyne on July 22, 2014
Format: Hardcover
I so badly wanted to like this book. Full disclosure, I am a strong liberal and I am very well-read on foreign policy and have read a large number of U.S. policy-maker memoirs. I respect Hillary a great deal and think she has had unparalleled experience, particularly in foreign policy, and was excited to see what she had to say. Unfortunately, I struggled through this. I read the first 300 pages very closely and then skimmed the last half. The whole book was written as if it was purely political rhetoric--unsurprising, I suppose, from someone who expected this book to be dissected on every page if she ran for President... but I can't help but think back to Obama's book shortly before he ran, and I did not feel this same way. The book is purely devoid of emotion; the closest it got to heartfelt genuine feeling was in discussing Richard Holbrooke's death, but even that felt guarded. It is full of cliches, fact-of statements, and few insights into decision-making, at least very very few that sound genuine at all.

Example: "It won't be easy to do that [make tough changes at home] in our current political atmosphere. But to quote from one of my favorite moves, A League of Their Own: 'It's supposed to be hard... The hard is what makes it great." Doing what's hard will continue to make our country great."

Cheesy, trite, and meaningless. This was an immense disappointment and I expected much more. I also did not think it was particularly well-written. Hillary exemplifies her diplomatic prowess, I suppose, but, as I read in another review online, proved that she has not mastered how to write a memoir. She somehow managed to take the topic I find most interesting and make it pedantic and dull.
5 Comments Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback. If this review is inappropriate, please let us know.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
240 of 275 people found the following review helpful By Robert B. Lamm on July 9, 2014
Some disclosures up front:

--Unlike some of the people who didn't like this book, I am a long-standing liberal Democrat. Among other things, this means that I'm not at all bothered by her constant digs at W's foreign policy (such as it was).
--While I'm not one of those people who worships the ground Hillary Clinton even thinks about walking on, I greatly respect and even admire her. In retrospect, I think she'd have made a better President than Mr. Obama, and I'll likely vote for her in 2016 (and I have got to believe she's running).
--I usually like or love books that combine politics with history.

For all these reasons and more, it's totally disappointing that this book was so bad. Another reviewer called it "pabulum," and while I disagree with other comments he made, that one is spot on. The only thing good about the book is that it was organized by global region. Other than that, it's dull, pre-digested and formulaic. She manages to take matters that are fascinating, terrifying, dramatic or even "just" historically significant and turn them into pedantic pabulum (there it is again). As if that weren't bad enough, she feels compelled to give us at least one moral for every story, but in every case I can recall the moral was something like "I believe that it's important to reach out to people who disagree with you." That kind of thing is really insipid and, frankly, condescending to anyone who shells out big bucks to buy a book like that.
Read more ›
13 Comments Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback. If this review is inappropriate, please let us know.
77 of 88 people found the following review helpful By JoeyInArlington on July 24, 2014
Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase
This is the driest, most boring piece of non-fiction that I have ever read. If history is repeating itself and Hillary uses this book to spring into a presidential run, I'm unimpressed. All she did in this book was use smoke and mirrors to appear ready and able to run the country....again, not impressed.
2 Comments Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
53 of 60 people found the following review helpful By AmyN on July 17, 2014
I am halfway through, and I just can't make myself finish. This is not normal for me. I am an avid reader, and I read a wide variety. While I am a conservative, thus not in agreement with much of Mrs. Clinton's ideologies, I do read - and finish - numerous works by liberal authors, fiction and non-fiction. Not finishing a book is almost unheard of for me.

The content is hard to connect with, and rather dry and unengaging. It also has a decidedly pompous tone that is difficult to get around in an honest attempt to really dig deep for that elusive connection. I truly do not say that as a conservative vs liberal thing, as I've been bored or put-off by more conservative authors, as well.
Comment Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
182 of 221 people found the following review helpful By A. Grande on July 6, 2014
Alright. I will lay out my political outlook first. I am a Conservative who is a bit of a political junkie and I follow politics like one would follow sports. Even though I am a Conservative I enjoyed Barack Obama's "The Audacity of Hope" and "Dreams from my father". My favorite political autobiography was that of Ted Kennedy. The point is I can be non biased when it comes to literature. Hillary's "Hard Choice's" is a very boring book and that isn't always bad as long as it is informative but this book is not informative and its very partisan without details or explanation like Obama did in "The Audacity of Hope."

For example. Clinton explains her work in trying to improve relations with Turkey in her tenure as Secretary of State. She explains how important Turkey is given its economy, education, and geo political position. She goes on to say the US has always enjoyed great relations with Turkey but these were dramatically ruined under Bush's Presidency and now she has to clean up the mess. This attack on Bush's foreign policy is a constant theme in the book which is OK except there is no explanation as to why Bush was unsuccessful in specific countries like Turkey. I personally know Bush and Turkey butted heads because Turkey constantly did cross border operations into Iraq attacking the Kurdish community in the North. Bush threatened them with sanctions if they continued these operations as it was damaging our efforts there. It would have been useful to readers who were not in Iraq during that time period for her to explain that dynamic and then criticizing Bush's handling of it instead of blindly throwing jabs at Bush's foreign policy.

-------------------------
The REAL truth is....both of the forum idiots are OWNED.
-BOTH of them have no clue who their owner is.
-They are both card carrying narcissists.
^These are PROVED facts.
 08/19/2014 02:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Fish Killer

Joined Forum: 10/09/2005

1.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this book, August 18, 2014

This review is from: Hard Choices (Hardcover)
Apparently my first review didn't adhere to Amazon guidelines. Must be Amazon wants this book to succeed! I wanted to like this book .... I wanted to learn about Hillary. Save yourself money. This book will be in yard sales for a quarter. I don't know why it's still on the best seller list.

1 of 2 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars I lost interest after I realized this was a love letter from Hillary Clinton to Hillary Clinton, August 18, 2014
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Hard Choices (Kindle Edition)
I lost interest after I realized this was a love letter from Hillary Clinton to Hillary Clinton. I really wanted to read about her life and her choices not a sugar coated dose of campaign tripe.
Sorry Hillary although I managed to make it to about 100 pages in, after that could not stomach the rest of the sugar and b.s,
Next time write a real book that might be believable.

-------------------------
The REAL truth is....both of the forum idiots are OWNED.
-BOTH of them have no clue who their owner is.
-They are both card carrying narcissists.
^These are PROVED facts.
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .