Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The Wisdom of The World Vs. The ways of God
Topic Summary: Paul's thoughts
Created On: 04/22/2014 12:32 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/22/2014 12:32 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ummm

Joined Forum: 03/24/2014

I have always loved how Jesus chose a bunch of fishermen to spread his love and truth. He knew that the rich, the wise and the powerful already had what they really wanted, and thus, wouldn't be interested in giving up everthing to follow him. It truly is harder for a rich man to get into heaven than for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, as Jesus once said.... 1 Corinthians 1:17-31 below spells it out nicely.

17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

Christ Crucified Is God’s Power and Wisdom

18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
    the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”[c]

20 Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22 Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom,23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.

26 Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28 God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him.30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31 Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”[d]

Edited: 04/22/2014 at 12:41 PM by ummm
 04/22/2014 12:46 PM

ummm

Below is another great verse laying out the humility needed to come into the kingdom ...

"At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me." (Matthew 18:1-5 NIV)

04/22/2014 03:07 PM

Sharktower

Joined Forum: 03/19/2004

what is the kingdom of heaven?

-------------------------

we are they, they are us -- Thich Nhat Hanh

04/22/2014 03:47 PM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

I'd tell you , but, it's surf related...

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 04/22/2014 04:17 PM

ummm

The scripture I quote below is a partial answer shark tower. Ill post more specifics according to the Bible under this thread later tonite if you are interested. Also, at the beginning of John 14 Jesus says that I'm heaven there are many mansions - which will be a sweet upgrade for many of us. . I posted the whole passage below because it hits the wisdom thing --and verse 9 gives you an idea what Paul, a man who saw Jesus twice after he was resurected, thinks heaven is like in general terms. 

"...We declare God’s wisdom, a mystery that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Verse 9 ->However, as it is written: “What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived” — the things God has prepared for those who love him— (1 Corinthians 2:7-9 NIV)"

04/22/2014 04:43 PM

Sharktower

Joined Forum: 03/19/2004

not trying to be jerk.  just wondering how you would lay it out in human terms.  

we are they, they are us -- Thich Nhat Hanh

04/22/2014 05:36 PM

ummm

I think it is a real place. I think the universe is designed to show us how big and creative God is as a taste of what is to come. I believe we will use our senses and relate to other beings in heaven- as a christian I am referring to God, angels and other humans. When I hear Paul write about it, it makes me think that whatever it's like, it will be far, far superior to earth.

I hope there are oceans and reefs and large, steep, hollow waves, but i don't know. I do know that Satan will be finished, and thus, there will be no pain or suffering. Whether the Heaven is For Real type of stories are true I don't know. The commonalities of Jesus being present along with light and peace are intriguing but who knows. There are references to springs, rivers and trees in the Bible when heaven is described in Revelation.

04/22/2014 07:01 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Originally posted by: Sharktower
 just wondering how you would lay it out in human terms.

C.S. Lewis laid out some interesting visions in The Great Divorce.

Anything by Lewis is a great read, including this one.

The Screwtape Letters was also very worthwhile.
 04/22/2014 07:27 PM

ummm

I second Regular Joe's thoughts.  

Mere Christianity is his brilliant exposition and defense of Christianity. He was a professor of Medieval Lit at Oxford and later at Cambridge with a sterling academic resume. He went from devout atheist to an ardent believer - much to the disappointment of many of his colleagues.  He might be the 20th Century's greatest Christian mind. 

04/23/2014 04:31 AM

sw

Joined Forum: 10/13/2005

I believe the "kingdom of heaven" includes "heaven" but means more.

"Heaven" is the place you go after you die if you love Jesus. It is an actual place full of light and joy and feasts and fellowship and eternal happiness where there will be no more sickness, sadness, death, or pain.

The "kingdom of heaven" is not really a physical thing in the way we think of "heaven". It's the kingdom of people that have accepted Jesus as king. It's like living all around the world to find surf but all the while knowing you are a citizen of the USA. To take that even further, if you were an ambassador for the US, you would be representing the ideals and values and identity of the US to everyone you met as you traveled around.

"Heaven" is the complete party plan...the fully realized package. The "kingdom of heaven" is a major step on the way there, but not fully. Currently we live in a broken world with destructive natural forces and destructive people. When we accept Jesus as our king, we get to start the party on the inside. He comes to live in us and brings his peace and power and love and joy. We get to spread that peace and power and love and joy as ambassadors for his kingdom, inviting others to become citizens too.
 04/23/2014 04:55 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

what is the kingdom of heaven?

It's a little like the Conch Republic in that only the locals really know for sure....

Oh, and it's Independence Day there today! April 23.

For the Republic that is, not Heaven.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .