Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: One Hot Woman, , , ,!!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/17/2024 04:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/17/2024 04:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Bang

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 03/17/2024 07:59 AM

dingpatch

When I first met Mrs dingpatch she was still shooting match with a 1911 !!

Dora Hates You
 03/24/2024 07:26 PM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Lots of really cool new and interesting pistols out there now, yet the best and most sought after is the 1911 9mm double stacks now known as the 2011's. Really elegant shooters but very expensive. Springfield made one for $1400, the prodigy, but it won't even cycle 115 grain rounds. Absurd. The Stocatto line is about 2500 and up. I am astounded at the customization and fine tuning involved. I bet the Mrs. would shoot the nuts off a gnat at 50 yards with one those.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

03/24/2024 08:09 PM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

I graduated HS in Colorado Springs. I worked part time, at Ent AFB Rod and Gun club, pulling skeet and trap. One day a guy came out with an alley sweeper. He was standing there and had an Alley Sweeper in one hand hanging by his side. He looked at me and said pull. Without breaking eye contact, he pointed it in the general direction and blew it out of the sky. Never missed once.
 03/26/2024 12:52 PM

johnnyboy

I am impressed. I thought that those were mere 80's novelties.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

03/26/2024 07:32 PM

Bamboo

I don't shoot cowboy action SASS matches but have watched a couple.
It is really pretty cool and half the fun is the regalia and monikers they assume.
Some are pretty zany.

Double stack 1911 based pistols have been around since about 1991-ish.
Caspian came out first and had the widebody frame and months later SVI had the modular widebody.
It was like beta vs VHS.
The magazines were the deciding factor, it was easier to get/tweak reliable mags for the modular widebody platform and STI and SVI became the defacto race gun platform for decades.
Keep in mind, only the frames were sold. You had to custom build your pistol or have it built by a gunsmith.
This requires real gunsmithing skills and tools, not the tinker toy ikea like assembly of the AR platforms today.

Shortly after the SVI came out one of the partners left with the patents and started STI. SVI continued to make the modular frames as they shared patent rights. SVI morphed into Infinity custom firearms and they still sell excellent custom guns. STI became the more popular frame as they were a little cheaper and made good mags.
Caspian quit selling their widebody receivers a couple years ago.
The mag issues with caspian were quickly solved but they never gained the popularity of the modular frames.
ParaOrdnance was also in the game but they had some design issues that didn't do well under the stress of competition.

BTW - The competitive calibers for these frames were 38 super, 38 supercomp, 9x21, and 9mm, typically at major power factors. PF=bullet weight in grans x velocit in fps/1000. This means that you had better be reloading as buying loaded ammo that meets major power factor (was 175, now 165) was not possible. These guns were running 115, 124, 130, 150 grain bullets. The 115 grain bullets were running at least 1435 fps. Not an anemic round.

The patents have now expired on the modular frames and several new companies emerged making the modular frames like phenoix trinity, CK, and cheely...and some overseas companies.

So, don't assume that 2011 type guns like the prodigy and staccato are anything really new. They are using 1990s tech others designed and that had the kinks worked out of by thousands of competitors.
It is just now being mass marketed by companies like Springfield.

Anyway, just some background on these "new" pistols.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV

Edited: 03/27/2024 at 12:03 PM by Bamboo
 03/26/2024 09:16 PM

johnnyboy

I got the STI DVC S stainless 9mm from an estate sale. I have never shot it. It's too pretty. I think about selling it but I know I would never be able to buy it again.

03/27/2024 05:27 AM

Bamboo

The DVC was suppose to be a off the shelf race gun and it was priced right.
They really couldn't make enough, and the market isn't huge so they discontinued them.
People liked them and they usually run well, or are easily tweaked to run well.

Go shoot it.
sounds like you got one with a comp and optic on it.
It was designed to shoot 9mm major....you can't hurt it shooting factory ammo.
I wouldn't store it counting on it to be an investment.

There are a lot of shooting matches for that gun in the area...go do a steel challenge or action steel match, or USPSA match.
You will have a lot of fun.
Guaranteed.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV

Edited: 03/27/2024 at 05:28 AM by Bamboo
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .