Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 11am Saturday UPDATE EyeBall Visual and Detailed Analysis
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/30/2017 09:33 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/30/2017 09:33 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

freesurfs

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

PAFB... plenty of size, much bigger than my earlier high tide pre-dawn peek.
Chest-high peelers with sets head-high or bigger.
Surprising power for weak groundswell.
Cold for me though in the damp foggy and windy conditions, but scored sum fun ones on my shorty. First time in a fullsuit in 4 years ... glad I had it with me.

Looking fun for afternoon incoming tide sesh with more sun and lil less wind
...just saying

-------------------------
... positioning and selection
 12/30/2017 09:46 AM

KP

Joined Forum: 07/28/2006

Thanks for the update!

Time and tide wait for no one.....
 12/30/2017 10:03 AM

IamSAW

Joined Forum: 05/02/2006

yeah pretty good down in MB this am, sum size, 20 miler buoy 6 ft 9 secs. Got to wash the cob webs out of the full suit, bonus points it still fits! Nice way to end 2017!
 12/30/2017 10:11 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Sun is out. Wind looks to be light from the west.

I was right.
 12/30/2017 11:53 AM

SunriseSurfer

freesurfs, it wasn't that cold Bob,
but I wore my suit too.

Puerto Rico 11 - 24 - 2013
 12/30/2017 12:50 PM

freesurfs

noticed your pic of Sandra ...
sun is shinning ... big difference from earlier morning

12/30/2017 01:17 PM

SunriseSurfer

Hahahahaaaa...
.... Sandra and another was out before the sun.
The pic was taken after the sun came out.

It's ok Bob, I wore my wetsuit.

12/30/2017 05:07 PM

LagoonSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/06/2009

Surf was unbelievably good today. Surfed 2 1/2 hrs in Satbe with the winds being NW and the size DEF head 2 over head. Where I was at it was making me wish I hadn't been out of good surf for like 2 months because, well, the surf has pretty much sucked. No fooln fast rights overhead.

I was done but me and the boyz grabbed chow and I stopped in at a street on a whim on the way home and couldn't believe the non-stop clean chest 2 head BLOCKS long rights and lefts. Surfed (yes we did) HOURS more there. Today was a day you ruin your life for then pick up the pieces later.

Now I'm sitting by the fire and drinking the wine I was saving for New Years. BUT I JUST DON'T CARE!

Brother, when you get a minute, could I get a list of the words that trigger these fits?

Hey. Where are we going? (And what are we doing in a hand-basket?)
 12/30/2017 07:21 PM

rc

Joined Forum: 01/02/2006

Originally posted by: freesurfs
First time in a fullsuit in 4 years ... glad I had it with me.

For me, it was Feb 12, 2015 ... the premier cold water classic day. THAT, was a COLD day.

(George D)

Photos by Brenda Lee
 12/30/2017 07:27 PM

scombrid

Wow. I had every intention of surfing this morning and then doing yardwork. Didn't happen. 

12/31/2017 05:28 AM

SunriseSurfer

jkirschenbaum

Image may contain: one or more people, ocean, water, sky, outdoor and nature

12/31/2017 03:34 PM

Cole

I don't wear a wetsuit when I want to be cold.

I was right.
 01/01/2018 05:51 AM

satbch

Joined Forum: 09/19/2006

Originally posted by: SunriseSurfer jkirschenbaum Image may contain: one or more people, ocean, water, sky, outdoor and nature

Jack Kirschenbaum: According to the article in the Florida Today from a little over a year ago he and his firm are responsible for suing the Federal Government (Army Corps of Engineers) and winning in 1999 a 50 Year Beach Project that pretty much forces the Feds, State and Local governments to do the horrible beach renourishment that has all but ruined Brevard's beaches and surf. If that lawsuit wasn't in place these sand renourishment projects would never get approved by our local or state officials because of the large costs associated with it, but if there is Federal money involved it's pretty much a done deal. No way would these idiots in Brevard County running things let an opportunity to stuff loads of Federal money into their friends and constituents pockets that supply the DIRT, expensive equipment and all the other costs associated with the renourishment.

So, if Mr. Jack Kirschenbaum is reading this forum, according to this article and other references online, he and his firm and the Florida Today owner (deceased) are responsible for this f-ing mess. And if it is true, I think we all owe him a big FUCK YOU. 

Edited: 01/01/2018 at 07:41 AM by satbch
 01/01/2018 07:56 AM

Bev

Joined Forum: 02/14/2015

Hey- If this is a picture of Jack you refer to in your post up here, how come somebody hasn't punched the --ck outta him multiple times, ruining him, like his hand in ruining our littoral zone? Why does he get a pass, that now it's just complaining, and what is his feeling of the results of the dumping, since it's been long enough to see the residual effects, negative and any positives? Think we just read in the 'Beachsider' from a female 'Boardmember' an article on the next phase of dump, her rhetoric at every mention refering was that of how 'nessasary' each dump action is, alluding falsely that these dumps are/were needed to the level if not approved and done, would be the end of quality life beachside here. I was disgusted too by her sell on this. I guess it just goes to show, most all attendance at community forums are really just for show, they, ie: BOD's, do what the hell they wish or are silently funded to do.  

01/01/2018 09:50 AM

leatherneck

Joined Forum: 01/16/2008

got to protect his house on the beach next to the drifthouse me me me fuck you you you its how we do it 

01/01/2018 12:06 PM

foamdust

Joined Forum: 10/16/2006

All 3 lawyers own land on the the beach in question. Since they won the the case did they get payments as landowners and legal fees in the end?

Edited: 01/01/2018 at 12:53 PM by foamdust
 01/01/2018 01:47 PM

rc

Joined Forum: 01/02/2006

Not to defend the dumping, but have you seen the dune line at Scorpion Court lately? That wretched 10 story monster underscores the loss of beach.

Many discussions on this forum have addressed the damned if you do, damned if you don't on this topic. For example, how do we get to our favorite surf spots if there is no A1A? We could make a 20 mile seawall like Galvaston, Tx, but that creates other problems. Something has to be done at some point.

Unless he owns a beach front property through an alias or corporation, he is homesteaded on canal front, not ocean front.

His brother let us run some ESA contests at his south CB home in the 1999-2000 time frame.

Jake K is an awesome surfer I believe in Southern Cal. now.

I believe Jack had the best intentions for all, unfortunately it doesn't feel that way to some.
 01/01/2018 03:12 PM

Cole

The ocean is coming up; that's a hard fact and we have no intentions of doing anything to stop it.

Sand with a like consistency would help, as would sturdy vegetation to keep it in place, but dirt is much cheaper, so dirt it will be. Perhaps the lawsuit should have been a tad deeper in thought, but what's done is done.

If you care about the ocean, beach and the natural world, think before you vote.

I was right.
 01/01/2018 04:40 PM

freesurfs

Maybe we should take a deep breath here and examine the underlining root cause of this whole issue.

The continued development of the Port Canaveral...

Extended jetties block the natural flow of replinishing sand southward from Port Canaveral.
By 1966 this lack of natural replinishment moved the high tide mark to the Canaveral Pier's parking lot, and to the seawall bulkheads along Cocoa Beach and down into Crescent Beach.
At 2nd Light you had to climb down over cement slabs with rebarb to get to the surf.
It was worse down thru boardwalk and on to the inlet.
(check those old pics from the era)

Added turn basins and increased big ship traffic constantly churning up the bottom muck.
The Port development lead to the eventual closing of surfing inside the Canaveral Jetty - one of the best surf spots of the day.
And, the increased activity and bottom churning now send tons of mud-like silt down thru Cocoa Beach. I remember when the waters there and around the pier were clear, but not anymore.

Who could fight Port Canaveral's development back then?
Who could successfully argue that continued Port development would cause our beaches to erode to the point that we would also not be able to fight the inevitable "replinishment" ... no matter who initiates it.

Jack Kirschenbaum's group with the encouragement backing of all (or most) community leaders simply reminded the Corp of Engineers that the Corp has the responsibility to replace the sand that its jetties were now blocking from reaching our beaches.

Community leaders can successfully argue that renourishment now is for the good of the majority.
And, unfortunately... they are right.

Me?
I am a surfer and am a tree-hugging Conservationist who believes in global warming - it's killing of natural reefs world-wide and contribution to rising ocean levels.
I don't want to see the reefs along Sat Beach and Ind Hbr beaches covered up. It will smother the reef life before the next storms sweep it to collect at Sebastian Inlet (another topic).
And, I absolutely don't want to see DIRT on our beaches for any reason.

Jack was not the cause.
Growth and Public Demand led to Port Development which led to our declining beaches.

So don't hate on Jack. Don't blame him for this mess.
I don't like it. None of us like it.
Hold your tempers and don't threaten harm to anyone.

I believe Jack knew replinishment was going to happen anyway and held the Corp responsible to help pay for it.
Re-nourishment was going to happen with or with him, and will continue with or without any of us.

Jack's a good guy. He loves to surf and he especially likes our local reef breaks.

01/01/2018 07:52 PM

satbch

Joined Forum: 09/19/2006

Originally posted by: freesurfs Maybe we should take a deep breath here and examine the underlining root cause of this whole issue. The continued development of the Port Canaveral... Extended jetties block the natural flow of replinishing sand southward from Port Canaveral. By 1966 this lack of natural replinishment moved the high tide mark to the Canaveral Pier's parking lot, and to the seawall bulkheads along Cocoa Beach and down into Crescent Beach. At 2nd Light you had to climb down over cement slabs with rebarb to get to the surf. It was worse down thru boardwalk and on to the inlet. (check those old pics from the era) Added turn basins and increased big ship traffic constantly churning up the bottom muck. The Port development lead to the eventual closing of surfing inside the Canaveral Jetty - one of the best surf spots of the day. And, the increased activity and bottom churning now send tons of mud-like silt down thru Cocoa Beach. I remember when the waters there and around the pier were clear, but not anymore. Who could fight Port Canaveral's development back then? Who could successfully argue that continued Port development would cause our beaches to erode to the point that we would also not be able to fight the inevitable "replinishment" ... no matter who initiates it. Jack Kirschenbaum's group with the encouragement backing of all (or most) community leaders simply reminded the Corp of Engineers that the Corp has the responsibility to replace the sand that its jetties were now blocking from reaching our beaches. Community leaders can successfully argue that renourishment now is for the good of the majority. And, unfortunately... they are right. Me? I am a surfer and am a tree-hugging Conservationist who believes in global warming - it's killing of natural reefs world-wide and contribution to rising ocean levels. I don't want to see the reefs along Sat Beach and Ind Hbr beaches covered up. It will smother the reef life before the next storms sweep it to collect at Sebastian Inlet (another topic). And, I absolutely don't want to see DIRT on our beaches for any reason. Jack was not the cause. Growth and Public Demand led to Port Development which led to our declining beaches. So don't hate on Jack. Don't blame him for this mess. I don't like it. None of us like it. Hold your tempers and don't threaten harm to anyone. I believe Jack knew replinishment was going to happen anyway and held the Corp responsible to help pay for it. Re-nourishment was going to happen with or with him, and will continue with or without any of us. Jack's a good guy. He loves to surf and he especially likes our local reef breaks.

Ya kiddin me freesurfs? 

You know how much money has poured into Brevard County because of those horrible extended jetties to make the port more navigable for larger vessels? 

Literally billions of $. 

I’m not an environmental engineer but to say the jetties are stopping natural sand flow is a reach. Have you noticed that large piece of land (bight) sticking out known as Cape Canaveral that blocks southern flow? I’ve supplied an image showing the inlet from sometime in early 1950. Notice the second land mass jutting out just on the north side of the inlet? How has the small jetty on the south side prevented any additional southward flow of sand when the land on north side of the inlet is about 200-300 yards further out than the south side? If you pull Google maps and look at the land around the inlet it looks almost exactly the same now. 

The lawsuit was BS carried out by greed. And just because old Jack doesn’t live on the ocean anymore doesn’t mean he didn’t previously. People tend buy and sell homes/land especially when the receive a windfall of money by suing the federal government. It was simply a money grab and an opportunity to make a little money for other ocean front land owners to get involved in their lawsuit. The renourishment just became part of the equation/fodder to legitimize more money for their law firm and to substantiate their claim of loss of land. 

Erosion is part of life living near any body of water.

Furthermore, Jack is a big boy and an attorney who I’m sure can defend himself if he chose to. To state, don’t blame Jack, he is a nice guy, it’s not his fault, sounds like you are defending a child. He and his firm profited an insane amount of money that we paid for through taxes, and now we are paying even more and more as the money machine keeps on pumping it in for another 31 years. It won’t stop and neither will mother nature. And no, the renourishment wouldn’t have happened without the lawsuit. Where are you getting these random assessments anyhow? freesurfs, are you Jack?

Edited: 01/01/2018 at 08:24 PM by satbch
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .