Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Nosara CR Intel for 2017??
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/13/2017 06:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/13/2017 06:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

KP

Joined Forum: 07/28/2006

Found some old posts but wanted some updated intel. Headed there in a couple weeks. Visiting friends in Samara and in between hoping to venture to Ostional and Marabella.

**What's the real on renting a decent board in Nosara?

I'm really not looking forward to the anxiety of hoping boards makes it there one piece. Traveling with them. And paying extra couple hundred dollars. But I don't want to have a limited selection of pop outs.

Thanks in advanced for replies to this question and any extra info.
Lay day hikes? Eats?

-------------------------
Time and tide wait for no one.....
 08/13/2017 06:51 PM

frothing321

Joined Forum: 01/29/2017

the standard rate to rent boards in costa rica is 10-15 dollars a day. nosara is very remote so its hard to say. prices will probably be more and there will be less of a selection of boards in shops. if your staying for a week or more i would recommend bringing a board. you can buy boards and sell them back for about half price. on the the way to nosara, stop in a major town like nicoya and get groceries at a big chain supermarket where there are good prices and good selections of meats etc. every small grocerie/bodega in nosara will inflate prices and be overpriced. if your renting a car even better, you will be able to go to nicoya for groceries whenever you need (still highly recommend grabbing them on the way in). 

08/15/2017 08:57 AM

johnny tsunami

Joined Forum: 03/09/2005

May be the most expensive place in Central America. ^ Good advice on the groceries. Though it wasn't world class, couldn't believe how fun the wave was, and underrated in terms of power. Ostional seemed to have a lot of potential, especially at mid tide or higher (and on a NW swell apparently), the water was a bit gross though.
 08/15/2017 02:12 PM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

was there a Few years back , two places had boards for about $80 to $ 100 for the week , The selection was not bad , and you can swap out for a different board at anytime. Both places were easy to deal with
 08/15/2017 02:28 PM

oldsufr3

Joined Forum: 08/10/2003

Go there all the time. Nosara surf shop has the best selection, $120 or $140 (I forget) per week for "premium" selection. It's nice to be able to switch sizes depending on conditions. Most shops want to run your credit card and charge you like $750 for a broken board. Just don't let them hold your Passport for collateral. I broke a board a few years ago and it got a little ugly. Worked out though. Hotels and food are about the same price as Florida. Great fresh fish.

Need more water time. Plenty of time left to make $$
 08/15/2017 07:46 PM

KP

Thanks for the info!

Anybody have any pros and cons renting from Adobe or Vamos?
I plan to use credit card insurance with the mandatory CR insurance.

08/16/2017 07:43 PM

KP

I went with vamos.

For navigation purposes:
Anybody used waze?
Or Garmin Nuvi 2595 gps (was reading the navsat maps are good)?

08/17/2017 09:00 AM

occy

Joined Forum: 02/20/2012

If you don't want to use data or a dedicated gps, just download the whole country on google maps for offline use.

Ask me how to take almost free surf trips anywhere.

08/17/2017 09:00 AM

GREG

Joined Forum: 08/20/2003

I've been helping surfers with trips to Costa Rica since 1998. In Nosara there are quality boards to rent, and plenty of used boards to buy as well. I would start at Coconut Harrys, which is right at the south entrance of Playa Guiones. Nosara Surf Shop, on the road to the beach by the Harmony Hotel, also has a good selection.

As for car rentals, I recommend both companies, but Vamos has older vehicles. I have a link to both options here - Costa Rica car rentals The Adobe rates often are lower if you book using these links, plus with either you get my assistance should you need it for no cost. So if you have trouble with the rental company, I work on your behalf to get it resolved.

For surfing in the area, Playa Pelada just to the north is good on a overhead+ swell at a mid-tide. Ostional has some hard to find, but lined up reef points at higher tides. Marbella is a more barreling wave that is at least a foot bigger than nearby breaks. Too big and the current makes it only for advanced surfers. To the south, Playa Garza is less crowded and has a midtide coming in shorebreak plus waaay outside rock reef breaks that start showing in overhead swell and can handle double overhead surf. Playa Samara has the same features, but the shorebreak is always smaller making it a beginner friendly spot. Playa Camaronal is a beachbreak similar to Marbella, but less crowded. Of course there are lesser known breaks, too, if you explore you may find a peak to yourself. For boat trips, car rentals, or any Costa Rica travel help, send me a PM.

http://www.crsurf.com ~ CR Surf Travel Company

http://www.vacationsbygreg.com
Instagram - @crsurf
 08/17/2017 01:20 PM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

pm pumphouse.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

08/18/2017 09:52 AM

c4rbz

Joined Forum: 05/20/2013

You should be able to rent a decent board there in Guiones.  My only advice is choose the better of the two routes from nicoya into town.  One "shortcut" proved to be really shitty in our little hyundai rental car.  Very windy and steep mountain cuts.  The way back we took the other route, much easier travel.     

08/21/2017 09:02 PM

KP

Thanks all!
Greg- I may have to enlist your services when I get to check out the southern half!

Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .