Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Newbie question
Topic Summary: Looking for surfing help
Created On: 12/03/2016 01:22 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/03/2016 01:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Snowbirdperm

Joined Forum: 12/03/2016

Hi all,

Im officially a local!  Finally made the move to Orlando close to Cocoa.   I'm looking for advise to where to go get a board and wetsuit and spots to surf.  I've read our beaches can be quite full of sharks which I'm not fond of.

I have been renting boards at Lori Wilson Park and it's getting expensive, so any help will be appreciated.  I'm leaning towards Ron Jon's since they have everything.

12/03/2016 01:41 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Check with Kelly at Another Ride on Tomahawk in Indian Harbour Beach. Some new boards and lots of used boards and wetsuits. He'll make the deal.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 12/03/2016 03:43 PM

Snowbirdperm

Thanks!  Any good spots that are more for us locals?  

12/03/2016 04:03 PM

crnawolfman

Joined Forum: 01/06/2014

you're a good man Ding

12/03/2016 06:04 PM

surferclimber

Joined Forum: 01/23/2011

IMHO inittally buy a used board or two cheap that way you won't have much invested into it as most likley you'll bounce around a few different kinds/sizes/shapes etc before setteling in on what you want. Then when you figure that out pay the $$ for a custom shaped...

If you're more up Cocoa/Cape are check to see if Dennis still works at Core Surf ( formely Cape Surf ) I'd recomend, but unfortunatley I don't know much about the local shops since I always just use the same shaper. But I would defintley encourage you not to get caught up spending tons of $$ on fancy name brands - local custom shaper is way go!!! Best of luck

get up early and go surf - it'll make that hangover go away and/or make the workday more tolerable :)

12/03/2016 06:20 PM

Av8Surf

Joined Forum: 09/05/2014

RJ is good for fins and leashes. 15% off for Fl res. Doesn't apply to boards. 

Buy direct from local shapers like George Robinson, Chris Birch and Ricky C etc  to name a few. These guys know the area. The boards hold value better than RJ boards. Don't get a board too small. Volume your friend in the beginning. 

Core surf and quiet flight good shops too. 

Trading Surfboards for Bitcoin or Ethereum.

Send me Bitcoin 1Dk8oJnprZfvXGDfZpxkuoko8SSVf5Tpp2

Boards For Sale: SUPs 11 foot and 12 foot BRAND NEW. Fair prices.
 12/03/2016 07:32 PM

dropsolo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Waves are flat. It's a troll. Next question

I type on fone 99% of time. Let the typos slyde. Thanks
 12/04/2016 05:01 AM

Snowbirdperm

Thanks all for the advice.  I'm heading out this morning.  I've seen the core surf place so I may check them out if open.  Do you guys have a surf club?  

12/04/2016 07:53 AM

Julianuribe23

Joined Forum: 05/21/2012

Obvious troll is obvious. Look at his username

12/04/2016 10:15 AM

Noworries

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Originally posted by: Julianuribe23

Obvious troll is obvious. Look at his username

Snow Bird Perm, fucking epic!
 12/04/2016 04:09 PM

thebourneidentity

Joined Forum: 09/03/2012

Hey dude welcome ! I'd say don't spend money at Ron Jons, we have some great local shapers and shops that have such better quality and variety than the Walmart of surfing (ronjon). The employees at room ronjons don't have surf experience either, they are just retail employees. I personally prefer catalyst/quietflight in cocoa beach. Tons of options, lots of used stuff, great knowledge from the guys working there. Core is good as well, but deff check catalyst! Happy surfing. 

12/05/2016 04:30 AM

mattbujor

Joined Forum: 11/08/2013

1. Buy a surfboard thats longer than you on craigslist

2. Buy a wetsuit, preferably a full wetsuit on craigslist

3. Start surfing the local spots and ask some questions out there

4. Find people to carpool with from orlando

P.S. Cocoa has lighter easier waves to learn how to surf if you haven't before, park at Ron jon surf shop and walk over (free parking).

12/05/2016 06:46 AM

CosmicQ

Joined Forum: 07/13/2015

Originally posted by: dingpatch Check with Kelly at Another Ride on Tomahawk in Indian Harbour Beach. Some new boards and lots of used boards and wetsuits. He'll make the deal.

I had no idea about this one.  Found the website for anyone interested http://anotherride.com/

12/05/2016 12:45 PM

Snowbirdperm

I pulled the trigger at Core surf!  That guy Dave knows his stuff and a good salesman.  I walked out with a Star funshape, and all the fixings!  Plus some valuable local spot knowledge and they have a club.  I wanted to leave my cc on file.  

Thanks to all for your help.  My next topic will be carpools.  Plan on staying a few days at the beach next weekend.

12/06/2016 06:22 AM

DaveFL76

Joined Forum: 08/16/2003

You're out of luck avoiding sharks, but you should at least do yourself a favor and avoid the rocks while you're learning. Don't bother with the South Patrick AFB area, through, say, a mile North of the Indialantic boardwalk. You're just putting your board and shins at risk.

The ocean floor goes out slower the farther North towards the Port that you go, which makes the waves mushy, yet mellower and easier to get into and learn on. I learned in the Cocoa Beach area, and I can't think of anywhere else on the Space Coast that I would have rather figured out the basics.

12/06/2016 06:53 AM

jeff kennedy

Joined Forum: 09/30/2004

Originally posted by: DaveFL76 You're out of luck avoiding sharks, but you should at least do yourself a favor and avoid the rocks while you're learning. Don't bother with the South Patrick AFB area, through, say, a mile North of the Indialantic boardwalk. You're just putting your board and shins at risk. The ocean floor goes out slower the farther North towards the Port that you go, which makes the waves mushy, yet mellower and easier to get into and learn on. I learned in the Cocoa Beach area, and I can't think of anywhere else on the Space Coast that I would have rather figured out the basics.
+1

www.happyponysurf.com
 12/06/2016 12:08 PM

Snowbirdperm

Thanks Dave.  The last thing I need is to have to worry about rocks and I doubt very seriously I would ever risk a rocky area.   I'm just trying to enjoy the sport and stay out of the way of the folks who are good.  I did behind motel 6 and it seemed okay.  

12/07/2016 04:38 AM

nsbkook

Joined Forum: 12/07/2011

I live in north cocoa beach a few hundred yards north of the pier. I'm old and slow, but you're welcome to surf with me. I've got an outdoor shower you can use too.
 12/07/2016 06:10 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Originally posted by: Snowbirdperm Thanks Dave.  The last thing I need is to have to worry about rocks and I doubt very seriously I would ever risk a rocky area.   I'm just trying to enjoy the sport and stay out of the way of the folks who are good.  I did behind motel 6 and it seemed okay.  

As much as I don't want you in my backyard while you are learning ....the rocks are nothing to worry about unless you are surfing extremely small waves, riding far in at low tide, and/or shorepound.

I have been bounced off the rocks a couple of times in large waves outside of that, but you wouldn't be out in those anyways as a beginner.

FORUMS : Surfing : Newbie question

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .