Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Futures quality
Topic Summary: going down a bit?
Created On: 08/14/2016 08:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/14/2016 08:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

larenyon

Joined Forum: 10/19/2009

I've been riding futures fins since they come out, and I really like the system/fins. Over my last 3 boards and 4 sets of fins I've been noticing that the fit of the fins in the boxes seems to be a bit off way more often then before. They used to be always spot on with maybe a bit too tight the first time you put them in, but then fit fine.

Lately I've had some not sink down deep enough, screws having to be tightened super far so the fin doesn't vertically shift, etc. 

Anyone else been noticing this lately?

08/15/2016 07:02 AM

J20

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

Have noticed having to put screws in tighter than I should
 08/15/2016 11:46 AM

BLat

Joined Forum: 10/28/2010

I noticed this on a set of Blackstix that I just bought. One of the outer fins doesn't fit flush in fin box. The defect is barely noticable, but it is a defect when compared to the other side. However, after a week long test-run in nicaragua this past week I could not be MORE STOKED on these fins. Yewwww!

08/15/2016 04:40 PM

Jonesey1

Joined Forum: 02/06/2011

I have noticed it too with a set of machados. One got stuck in the board and nearly broke the board trying to get it out.

08/15/2016 06:47 PM

sharkey

Joined Forum: 01/07/2009

About to return a brand new set I found out on a trip wouldn't fit in my boxes. Others would and I tried them in two other boards so it was the fins.

Had to get a set from a "bad batch" replaced a few months ago.

Don't know if that means it's a trend yet but is odd since I never had a problem before that after years of use of multiple sets of Futures.

08/16/2016 11:01 AM

foam ball

Joined Forum: 06/01/2005

I have had brand new futures fins that were sanded down too far so they wobbled in the box. If the fibs are too tight just rub some bar soap on the bases and the should slip in easier.
 08/16/2016 11:35 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Originally posted by: BLat I noticed this on a set of Blackstix that I just bought. One of the outer fins doesn't fit flush in fin box. The defect is barely noticable, but it is a defect when compared to the other side. However, after a week long test-run in nicaragua this past week I could not be MORE STOKED on these fins. Yewwww!

I love my Blackstix

08/16/2016 04:28 PM

Dwight

Joined Forum: 11/26/2014

Were the issues with boards made at Cobra (Thailand)?

I ask because my first encounter with a loose fitting box was a Firewire, I think it was made at Cobra. It has genuine Futures boxes. Which made me wonder...did Futures license manufacturing at Cobra?

I have not encountered any loose fitting boxes here in the US  

08/16/2016 06:13 PM

frogman

Joined Forum: 12/06/2009

Nothing worse than a loose box

08/16/2016 06:42 PM

Shyt4brains

Joined Forum: 11/16/2015

Originally posted by: miker
Originally posted by: BLat I noticed this on a set of Blackstix that I just bought. One of the outer fins doesn't fit flush in fin box. The defect is barely noticable, but it is a defect when compared to the other side. However, after a week long test-run in nicaragua this past week I could not be MORE STOKED on these fins. Yewwww!

I love my Blackstix

i love blackstix too! I love putting blackstix in my future box

08/16/2016 07:41 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

You must be mistaken, , , , , them be the finest boxes, or fins, that dat village ever made.

Believe me, I know, I get ragged on quite often about my fins being too loose or too tight.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 08/16/2016 09:26 PM

foam ball

No mine were in a locally shaped board. The plastic fins fit like a glove but the fiberglass ones were too thin. Easy fix with some sanding resin but annoying to deal with.
I have a new board with futures no issues with the al merrick twins I put in it.
 08/17/2016 03:18 AM

larenyon

Joined Forum: 10/19/2009

All of my boards are local as well. I love the fins (especially blackstix), and they have a great selection. The fully attached base helps give solid drive too, I'm just not happy with the inconsistent fit lately. 

I'm curious if anyone has had similar problems with fcs2 fins/system?

08/17/2016 04:41 AM

MyCatSprays

Joined Forum: 04/16/2015

All of the fore mentioned gripes are due to the same fate that struck Boardworks a decade ago!!! Massive supply/demand lead to a new factory, mass molding production, and newer and unknowledgable employees that like anything else,(say automobiles); Youre gonna have some lemons in every batch!!! Also, I believe that the fins and the boxes are made at 2 entirely different facilities!!! Small snafus that should work there way out eventually!!! Welcome to sweat shop, mass production!!!

Tubes, Boobs, & Doobs!!!
 08/17/2016 04:53 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Cat Sprayer!!!!!! Noooooooooooooo! It just does not work if we can't have a working tolerance of +/- .125. Holding +/- .010 is just to damn hard for the dolts working in the village fin shop.

Dora Hates You
 08/17/2016 06:21 AM

foam ball

No issues with fcs2, I have had 3 boards so far with their new system all have been flawless.
 08/17/2016 06:44 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Originally posted by: MyCatSprays All of the fore mentioned gripes are due to the same fate that struck Boardworks a decade ago!!! Massive supply/demand lead to a new factory, mass molding production, and newer and unknowledgable employees that like anything else,(say automobiles); Youre gonna have some lemons in every batch!!! Also, I believe that the fins and the boxes are made at 2 entirely different facilities!!! Small snafus that should work there way out eventually!!! Welcome to sweat shop, mass production!!!

basically this

They still make the best fins IMO.... sorry Ron. 

08/17/2016 07:08 AM

SonSurf

Joined Forum: 10/13/2010

Good Lord are we talking a few passes with the ole sand paper or a dab of sanding resin . Please don't surf next to me and wine about ya stick and fins AND RUIN MY SURF SESH !!!!!

08/17/2016 02:26 PM

Julianuribe23

Joined Forum: 05/21/2012

FCSii is an overpriced bs system and I know a lot of people that agree. Fins fall out, the boxes aren't as sturdy and more

08/18/2016 06:45 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Originally posted by: Julianuribe23

FCSii is an overpriced bs system and I know a lot of people that agree. Fins fall out, the boxes aren't as sturdy and more

I'm sorry but a fin holding SYSTEM that uses pressure and requires no screws is brilliant and deserves to charge more than an emply hole. I'd call FCSII true innovation and, even though I was skeptical at first, I've had zero problems with 4 different boards over 3 years now. AND it is backwards compatible with the FCS I fins if you like screwing.

As snug as they fit I can't see how someone could have one fall out unless it was damaged and not noticed.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

FORUMS : Surfing : Futures quality

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .