Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: longboard/SUP
Topic Summary: Is there a hybrid?
Created On: 07/05/2016 07:08 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/05/2016 07:08 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

realsur4

Joined Forum: 09/04/2003

I remember my friend's 10' Channin that was a heavy tank of a board, especially carrying it on a windy day. When you got that thing moving in the water you could catch any ripple in the ocean. You could also stand up on it as long as it was moving across the water, but once the momentum stopped it was hard to keep your balance. This had me wondering if there is a SUP that could also be used for longboarding (as in paddling into a wave while on your stomach, not standing up with a paddle). With so few big wave days...and small wave days...it would be nice to have one "do it all" board to cut back on cost and save some storage space. Now I know there is no perfect board, vehicle, bicycle, etc. that is great in any and all conditions. I was just wondering if anyone has seen a SUP that you could also use as a longboard "surfboard" or vice versa. Like I said, my buddy's old Channin probably could have been used as a SUP as long as you paddled non stop and kept your momentum. Not realistic for a casual paddle trip. I'm also curious about the inflatable SUPs I've seen in videos. It looks like they've come a long way and seem to be rigid and durable. I've done some online searching, but I haven't found any products advertising their product as both a longboard/SUP. Thanks in advance for the info or any "leads" to find something realistic.
 07/05/2016 11:06 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

See Ross SUP.

sup

See Ross Surf.

surf

See Ross Surf and SUP!

And a bunch of other people too, nice pics by Ross and his wife, good folks,

at cflsurf:  http://cflsurf.com/gallery.html

-------------------------
add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 07/05/2016 12:06 PM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

I see him out at Southy always on the hunt whenever there's a clean bump... CLICK ME

Excerpt:
Ross's Rule #1 - Never wait for good surf to get better. It probably won't.
Ross's Rule #2 - For every shark you see, there are 100 that you don't.
Ross's Rule #3 - Good surf rarely happens on a weekend, so always surf when there are waves.
Ross's Rule #4 - Friends don't serve friends Bud Light.
Ross's Rule #5 - Surf is totally unpredictable.

Ross's Theorem - You are much more likely to be struck by lightning than eaten by a shark.

Ross's Wisdom - If you are the first surfer out, give the second surfer a big smile - he just reduced (by 50 percent) the probability that you would be the one to be bitten by a shark.

Ross's Famous Quote - An optimist is a long-boarder who parks 100 yards out past all the other long-boarders. A TRUE optimist is a short-boarder who parks 100 yards out past the optimist.

Ross's Golden Rule - Try to keep out of the way of surfers that are better than you, and try not to run over those that aren't. All the other rules fall neatly into place if you follow the Golden Rule.

Edit: sorry I got nothing to contribute on sweeping advice or toboggans, but my new ocean fishing kayak is the bomb diggity for flat days!

-------------------------
"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong

Edited: 07/05/2016 at 06:21 PM by CERTON
 07/06/2016 05:02 AM

realsur4

Joined Forum: 09/04/2003

Thanks for the links. I'm a little curious how paddling a wide SUP, without a paddle, is like due to the width of the board. Obviously Ross has perfected it. Due to the extra buoyancy of the board, does he paddle closer to the nose with his chest farther up where the board isn't as wide so the paddling movements aren't awkward?
FORUMS : Surfing : longboard/SUP

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .