Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Brad Domke, lately at the Wedge
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/27/2016 05:45 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/27/2016 05:45 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

And a bunch of others.  Mike Lucas Media.  Along with skim and boards, there's someone with a surf mat, likely a Fourth Gear Flyer.   

I posted the link elsewhere early this morning, but hadn't noticed a few details.  

04/27/2016 06:25 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

I love the way that wave jacks up in the middle of your ride. WILD! Some great rides and some great bloppers too!

-------------------------
Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

04/27/2016 06:34 AM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

Sick edit.  Domke skinning it. \m/

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 04/27/2016 07:01 AM

long_flaco1

Joined Forum: 09/25/2003

That dude has got style for days! Pig-doggin them chunckey monkey's no problem! Sick vid, thanks for sharing.

SK8 AND DESTROY
 04/27/2016 07:10 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I know one of the local skimmers there. His videos give you the exact opposite of wanting to ride that wave. It's amazing that their locals have it wired. I imagine that there's an ambulance there everyday.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

04/27/2016 11:32 AM

ww

Many point cameras at the Wedge; Mike Lucas does it well.  I was a little surprised to see a fresh video from him with such good conditions and so much good stuff going on in the water.  

Bodysurfers figured out the Wedge long ago and seem to have passed on the skills.  Of course Domke should be the explainer, not me.

Another factor in the Wedge remaining open may be that compared to the rest of Newport Beach, it evidently has few drownings and not so many injuries.  

A new documentary film, "Dirty Old Wedge" (title based on Bud Browne's commentary) is playing at surf film events in California.   

This simple, dumping wave at Laguna Beach contrasts with the ever-complicated Wedge.  

04/27/2016 12:34 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

I remember about 10 years ago I went to the wedge, and it was what I would call in FL 10-12' peaks, and only a couple local body surfers, and boarders out there.

Once I got out everyone kind of turned and looked at me and I thought, here it comes, "beat it kook"!!!

To my surprise they were not trying to get me to go in because I wasn't local, they were worried I was going to drown bc I didn't have fins, and thought I was crazy!

After attempting to take off on a few waves and not having the speed to get down the face I was getting pitched straight into the flats, and understood their concern.

It is amazing the power of that wave. Just going under a big set, because the waves are so thick, my ears felt like I was instantly 20' deep!

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 04/27/2016 12:42 PM

surferKev07

Joined Forum: 06/08/2007

That was fun to watch. Thanks for sharing!
 04/27/2016 04:09 PM

equipeola

Joined Forum: 12/17/2009

place breaks exactly the same as it did 47 yrs ago, only more grasshoppers out in it now. back then you woulda been kicked outta da water not so much the fact you went out without fins, as much as not know'in wtf your doin AND,, without fins~

ola ~

04/28/2016 02:38 PM

ww

Interview with visuals about the "Dirty Old Wedge" movie at an unlikely place, a retailer.  

I ran across this photo of Mike Lucas by Steven Wilson

lucas

Lucas has posted extended raw footage and skim and bodyboarding "POV" videos and a raw water video. 

Edited: 04/28/2016 at 11:56 PM by ww
 04/29/2016 02:16 PM

ww

BTW, Luca's use of mouth-mounted GoPro makes a good case for it, as seen in his raw footage (including some impressive Domke).  As if 2ndlighters aren't doing that all the time.  

Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .