Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Surfing the Mountains
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/01/2016 08:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/01/2016 08:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

tingo

Joined Forum: 09/22/2004

ha,...just to keep it surf related.

Got a friend who lives in Golden Colorado. He has a  place to stay for free. Im not a pro skier or anything close. Wife in non-athletic and kids are Florida kids 12 and 9 years old.

So he say "Winter Park, Copper Mountain, Keystone and Brekenridge are all close. keep in mind I dont need black diamond runs and my kids are beginners.

Any suggestions or advise? I would be pushing for the budget friendly options.

would be going anytime between March 18 and March 27

Thanks

03/01/2016 09:21 AM

drew400

Joined Forum: 03/26/2015

If you surf then I have one word for you - snowboard.  I learned to snowboard at Copper Mtn and have ridden at Breckenridge.  Early spring conditions can be really good and range from fresh powder to bluebird skies and cordoroy groomers.

Gerry Lopez once said that "you can get more good turns in one day of snowboarding than you can in a lifetime of surfing" . . . think about that one.

03/01/2016 09:28 AM

dropsolo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Keystone might be the most budget friendly of those.

Also any of those will have decent enough greens and learning areas for the kids.

Avoid breck, crowds are nuts and not budget friendly. Friendlier than vail but still.

My wife is also non athletic and took very well to skiing. Enjoy and yes, snowboarding is a no brained for any surfer. If it's you first trip. Be prepared to have a sore tail bone. And take at least one full day of lessons. Believe it or not. In those early stages. It gets easier the if you make the jump to harder greens or easier blues.

And wear a helmet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------------------
I type on fone 99% of time. Let the typos slyde. Thanks
 03/01/2016 09:30 AM

surfyswimmy

Joined Forum: 02/14/2015

Copper Mountain is one of the best, most naturally laid out mountains in all of Colorado. Most Green runs are on the west side of the Mtn, blues in the middle, blacks on the east which helps keep you out of trouble.

Also a little less "stuffy" compared to the Vail Resort Mtns like Breck and Keystone.

Enjoy!

03/01/2016 09:32 AM

tingo

Please keep em coming!!

thanks

going to the gym for lunch, work on those stick legs of mine....

03/01/2016 11:55 AM

tastywaves

Joined Forum: 11/14/2009

been going snowboarding in colorado for years and done many mountains, and while copper doesnt have the best dining, hotels, nightlife, etc, it is by far my favorite for being cheap (book before you go on liftopia), not crowded, and just having a very mellow, laidback vibe. Also, as surfyswimmy mentioned, its nice that the mountain is kind of divided so you dont get stuck thinking youre on a mellow side of the mountain and than faced with a black diamond mogul run as your only option down. My biggest suggestion for newbies on the mountain (other than helmet) is to get some sort of butt/tailbone pads to wear under your pants. Nothing worse than bruising the shat out of your tailbone on your first day and ruining the rest of your trip! 

also, i tend to torture myself all winter reading snow forecasts, and it looks like you guys might luck out and get quite a snowy second half of march while you're there

03/01/2016 12:00 PM

tastywaves

one last piece of advice- ive tried to teach a few friends how to snowboard in the past, and while you def want to stay on a bunny slope for a little to get the feeling of the board and being "locked in", staying on flat ground is gonna end up hurting you more in the long run. I see people learning all the time on flat ground, but you will never learn how to keep an edge in the snow and initiate your turns unless you take on terrain thats a little steeper and lets you gain speed which is crucial. People also tend to fall harder when going slow and keeping their board flat as they will get the sudden whipped "over the handle bars" falls that end up bruising tailbones or spraining wrists

03/01/2016 02:04 PM

tingo

love it.

ill have the tickets before the end of the day!!

03/01/2016 03:50 PM

bigpapapump

Joined Forum: 07/06/2004

Too late now but for future reference if you know you are going to go to Copper you can get a 4 pack in the fall for $169 and if you buy it early enough they throw in a 5th.
 03/01/2016 05:30 PM

tingo

bought the tickets...stoked!!
 03/01/2016 05:39 PM

TodoBien07

Joined Forum: 08/07/2012

Fly Frontier airlines if you are looking to save some money.  They are a budget airline so keep this in mind if you are looking for spacious or inclusive features in your air travels, having said that we flew non stop from Orlando to Denver for $118 total per person, Tuesday's and Wednesday's will be your best deals.  

Copper Mtn will be your best learning experience of all the above listed resorts.

We have been here (Colorado) for a couple weeks now and a snowier weather pattern is right around the corner!  Things looking good after the first week of March in CO !

03/01/2016 08:43 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

My kids did OK at Copper, and we all had fun. But some of the easier runs there had some flat spots where my son got stuck, had to hike, and was a bit bummed. He was 9 or 10 then.

Regardless of whether you're renting a board or taking your own, get a good tuneup done before you hit the slopes. Fresh wax will slide you across those flat spots like nobody's bidness.

If you're just learning, just make sure your clothes and gloves are water-tight, because you will be spending some time in the snow.

Go with the flow, don't fight it, and your legs won't get so tired. (Learners often fight the mountain to hold an edge, rather than transitioning from one edge to the other, and the turns are more fun anyway.)

My wife got some bad altitude sickness there, so take it easy on the wine or booze.

Copper also had a mini Camp Woodward training pit indoors with foam cushions and stuff you could practice aerial tricks in with soft landings. Not sure how much it costs or if it's still there, but it sure looked like fun.

They also have tubing runs set up where you can go at night. Enjoy!
 03/10/2016 07:30 AM

tingo

Really bringing back to top just to gloat.

Plans seem to be for a Copper Mountain Vacation.

is there anything in the area I should not miss?

Maybe lunch in Vai ect.?

Yahoo

03/10/2016 07:45 AM

TodoBien07

Buffalo Mac and Cheese at Red Hots (thinking it changed name to Moutain Melt) at slope side center village for lunch.

Dillon Damn Brewery in Dillon for good beer and some food.

If fresh snow is slim be sure to hit up the daily noon groomer, typically off the American Eagle chair.

03/10/2016 07:53 AM

LIV2SURFDT

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

How far is it from copper to Vail? Heading out for some spring snow. Been to Utah ten times but this is my first time to Colorado. Staying in Vail but wondering if it's a quick trip to Copper? Sounds fun...
 03/10/2016 08:17 AM

tastywaves

Originally posted by: TodoBien07 Buffalo Mac and Cheese at Red Hots (thinking it changed name to Moutain Melt) at slope side center village for lunch.

probably the best advice so far on this topic

03/10/2016 08:22 AM

TodoBien07

It's an hour or so, depending on weather and road conditions.  Give the website cotrip.org a look if the weather is in question.

03/10/2016 01:30 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

It was fun reading through the tips.  As a former Wyomingite, I miss mountain snow.  Town is -20?  The cross-country ski trail upstairs will be shirt sleeves.  

Skipping the snow, but will be getting a look at Arthurs Pass west of Christchurch in May if my shoulder's OK by then.  

03/11/2016 05:49 PM

SouthJaxBeach

Joined Forum: 09/08/2011

If you're not already locked into lift tickets, check out Loveland (the ski resort, not the city).  It's right off I70, doesnt have the expensive resorts or accomodations, but the mountain is rad.  Great elevation, so snow will be good, it's uncrowded compared to other resorts, oh yeah and it's CHEAP (check on Liftopia). 

I moved to Washington last year and have been hitting the slopes more than the surf and I'm actually OK with it...snowboarding is a blast!  It's a little tricky learning to control your edge and carve but once you get it.....oh yeah

03/12/2016 10:27 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

No advice on what Ski area you should go. All resorts have green blue and black diamond runs. Most offer guided tours so you can get a feel for the mountain.  

I do have some advice on altitude sickness. Don't drink alcohol for at least 24 hours take aprine make sure you get plenty of rest and drink lots of water. Going from sea level to 7000 foot and more above sea level can lead to a lot of problems.  Take care don't over do things on the first day mild head aches are common at altitude untill your body acclimates.  I lived and skied in Utah for a few years.  I have skied in Colorado but as I said better advice by those that know the mountains there better then I do.  Vail is nice and has a lot of very tame runs Bever Creek is another up scale Mountain off of I70 . that is very family friendly.  Winter Park is a Local Denver favorite.  Out of the way but a nice place to ski and a fun little town is Steamboat Springs.  

FORUMS : Surfing : Surfing the Mountains

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .