Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Fitness goals 2016
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/09/2016 10:44 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/09/2016 10:44 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

TunnelVision

Joined Forum: 10/02/2003

I'm a middle aged man (mid 40s), and starting to feel myself sliding fitness wise. I have a much harder time catching waves these days... Have to be in just at just the right spot to catch a wave. So, I decided to set some fitness goals to get in better fitness than I was 20 yrs ago. Currently, I can bike about 10 miles at a time before I'm really ready to stop. I'm setting a goal for 30 mi by EOY. Currently, I can surf for about 2 hr. EOY goal is 6 hr, allowing a break for food/water. Currently, I can do only 15 push ups sadly. Shooting for 50 EOY. I'm using this thread as a way of tracking my progress...
 02/09/2016 10:56 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Wait ...are you saying I am middle aged too? I may be in my 40's, but I certainlly don't feel middle aged.

02/09/2016 12:02 PM

scostuart

Joined Forum: 12/28/2007

Originally posted by: TunnelVision I'm a middle aged man (mid 40s), and starting to feel myself sliding fitness wise. I have a much harder time catching waves these days... Have to be in just at just the right spot to catch a wave. So, I decided to set some fitness goals to get in better fitness than I was 20 yrs ago. Currently, I can bike about 10 miles at a time before I'm really ready to stop. I'm setting a goal for 30 mi by EOY. Currently, I can surf for about 2 hr. EOY goal is 6 hr, allowing a break for food/water. Currently, I can do only 15 push ups sadly. Shooting for 50 EOY. I'm using this thread as a way of tracking my progress...

So are you trying to get more "surf fit"?

Or just be more fit?

I'm 45.... Do my own style of crossfit exercises and workout 6 days.....when there are no waves??. I do a lot of interval training and don't waste my time with long distance steady state cardio.

Over the course of my workout, I complete roughly 100 pull-ups, over well 100push-ups and over 100 air squats......and a ton of burpees.

I try to do what I think are surfing related exercises.  As surfing is more anaerobic than aerobic. More quick burst than long distance.

-------------------------

Waiting for waves is ok......most people spend their lives waiting for nothing.

02/09/2016 01:53 PM

surferKev07

Joined Forum: 06/08/2007

Old man Brazilian Jiu Jitsu works for me. BTT Melbourne in the Eau Gallie Publix Plaza. A couple classes a week is all it takes. I'm 44. I started in my late 30's. I was weighing in around 210 and my joints were starting to hurt. After a few months I dropped to 178 and stayed there ever since. No more joint pain and I am not far from my high school weight either. Try it out. They give you at least a week to see if you like it before signing up.
 02/09/2016 09:26 PM

TunnelVision

Originally posted by: miker Wait ...are you saying I am middle aged too? I may be in my 40's, but I certainlly don't feel middle aged.

Sorry to say it brother, but its all headed downhill soon. Get in the habit of taking care of yourself before you start the decline. I just recently recognized that I need to do a lot more.
 02/09/2016 09:30 PM

TunnelVision

Originally posted by: scostuart
Originally posted by: TunnelVision I'm a middle aged man (mid 40s), and starting to feel myself sliding fitness wise. I have a much harder time catching waves these days... Have to be in just at just the right spot to catch a wave. So, I decided to set some fitness goals to get in better fitness than I was 20 yrs ago. Currently, I can bike about 10 miles at a time before I'm really ready to stop. I'm setting a goal for 30 mi by EOY. Currently, I can surf for about 2 hr. EOY goal is 6 hr, allowing a break for food/water. Currently, I can do only 15 push ups sadly. Shooting for 50 EOY. I'm using this thread as a way of tracking my progress...

So are you trying to get more "surf fit"?

Or just be more fit?

I'm 45.... Do my own style of crossfit exercises and workout 6 days.....when there are no waves??. I do a lot of interval training and don't waste my time with long distance steady state cardio.

Over the course of my workout, I complete roughly 100 pull-ups, over well 100push-ups and over 100 air squats......and a ton of burpees.

I try to do what I think are surfing related exercises.  As surfing is more anaerobic than aerobic. More quick burst than long distance.

Mostly to keep fit for surfing, but also just in general. To me, surfing seems fairly aerobic which is why I have taken up long bike rides. I mean, surfing itself is the best exercise, but unfortunately, there arent always waves.
 02/09/2016 10:38 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: TunnelVision

I'm a middle aged man (mid 40s), and starting to feel myself sliding fitness wise. I have a much harder time catching waves these days... Have to be in just at just the right spot to catch a wave. So, I decided to set some fitness goals to get in better fitness than I was 20 yrs ago. Currently, I can bike about 10 miles at a time before I'm really ready to stop. I'm setting a goal for 30 mi by EOY. Currently, I can surf for about 2 hr. EOY goal is 6 hr, allowing a break for food/water. Currently, I can do only 15 push ups sadly. Shooting for 50 EOY.

I'm using this thread as a way of tracking my progress...

Where do you live?? Mtn biking is a MUCH better overall workout than grinding out boring road miles!!

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 02/10/2016 05:42 AM

dan

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I have to agree with Kev, Brailian Jiu Jitsu for the win!  Improves flexibility, cardio and overall confidence.  If you can keep your cool when someone is trying to choke you then you for sure can keep your cool in bigger surf or in a heavy crowd!  Plus if some jerk off starts getting goofy in the lineup, you can handle it.  

02/10/2016 05:50 AM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

IN. Just passing time til we hear from Big Rick, and Burry on this topic.

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 02/10/2016 06:23 AM

scostuart

Jujitsu is outstanding.  Coupled with the benefit of learning defensive tactics and control breathing and emotion in high stressful situations.

Surfing could be aerobic if one could ride a wave with minimal turns for long periods of time.  Or performing rail to rail carving. However most ridden waves are short duration events.....especially in Florida.

as far as anaerobic....https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_exercise

02/10/2016 06:24 AM

miker

Originally posted by: miker Wait ...are you saying I am middle aged too? I may be in my 40's, but I certainlly don't feel middle aged.

Sorry to say it brother, but its all headed downhill soon. Get in the habit of taking care of yourself before you start the decline. I just recently recognized that I need to do a lot more.

I am in the gym 5-6 hours a week on top of surfing whenever we get waves. Already on top of it.

02/10/2016 06:30 AM

scostuart

TunnelVision, 

Again it depends all on "YOUR" fitness goals.  If you enjoy long distance bike rides...then DO IT!  As far as it improving your endurance for surfing.....I would suggest swimming.

02/10/2016 06:36 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Age 45 with major injuries from a life of X-sports, I hate to workout so instead went the easy route, changed diet, no processed foods, hardly and bread, old world grains, etc.  No sugar, and no alchohol (too much sugar, etc.)...combine that with Yoga and you have an easy way to stay fit & flexible, the only excercise I do is walking and paddeling

There used to be a old lady in Indi who wore bright pink and walked from causway to causway almost daily.  Many of you have seen her, she was way up in age but could really move.  Sadly I do not see her any longer.

I am not be pumped up with huge arms but the gut is gone and flexibility from yoga is fine for surfing, also paddle out as much as possibe, paddle when it is flat, if you are a strong paddler that is the key for long sessions or having a good time in Non-East Coast spots where you paddle from the time you hit the water until the time you come back to the rock jump/ keyhole. surfing, even when it is small is the best exercise for "surfing".

Edited: 02/10/2016 at 06:55 AM by SurferMic
 02/10/2016 07:07 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

My fitness goal is to stay in good enough shape to continue to enjoy riding my 5' 9" performance short board.

And I agree with above. If you keep the gut flat, you are way ahead of the game.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

02/10/2016 07:11 AM

equipeola

Joined Forum: 12/17/2009

just find good surgeons~

ola ~

02/10/2016 08:21 AM

miker

Originally posted by: SurferMic No sugar, and no alchohol (too much sugar, etc.)

Vodka, Whiskey, and Cabernet Sauvignon are your safe bets to drink if you want to avoid sugar in alchohol.

02/10/2016 09:04 AM

scostuart

Originally posted by: SurferMic Age 45 with major injuries from a life of X-sports, I hate to workout so instead went the easy route, changed diet, no processed foods, hardly and bread, old world grains, etc.  No sugar, and no alchohol (too much sugar, etc.)...combine that with Yoga and you have an easy way to stay fit & flexible, the only excercise I do is walking and paddeling

I am not be pumped up with huge arms but the gut is gone and flexibility from yoga is fine for surfing, also paddle out as much as possibe, paddle when it is flat, if you are a strong paddler that is the key for long sessions or having a good time in Non-East Coast spots where you paddle from the time you hit the water until the time you come back to the rock jump/ keyhole. surfing, even when it is small is the best exercise for "surfing".

+1.

Minus the X-sports for me.

02/10/2016 09:11 AM

CaseyJenks

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Don't forget to hit the weights as well. All the endurance & flexibility in the world doesn't matter if you lack the POWER required to generate speed

thefitbot.com
crossfitkingspoint.com
 02/10/2016 12:32 PM

TunnelVision

Originally posted by: scostuart Jujitsu is outstanding.  Coupled with the benefit of learning defensive tactics and control breathing and emotion in high stressful situations. Surfing could be aerobic if one could ride a wave with minimal turns for long periods of time.  Or performing rail to rail carving. However most ridden waves are short duration events.....especially in Florida. as far as anaerobic....https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_exercise
Not the riding - thats the easy part. I mean all that f'ing paddling in between. I get winded.
 02/10/2016 12:34 PM

TunnelVision

Originally posted by: miker

I am in the gym 5-6 hours a week on top of surfing whenever we get waves. Already on top of it.

gotcha, you're way ahead of me. This is some good motivation though
FORUMS : Surfing : Fitness goals 2016

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .