Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Spirit airlines.
Topic Summary: Board bags.
Created On: 07/26/2015 06:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/01/2015 09:42 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Thanks for the context Sarasota. I guess I am nostalgic for a bygone era.

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

10/19/2015 02:08 PM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

Spirit bag questions?
web policy is not completely clear. Calling the service number has been a pain to get through, I'll try again later.
I understand the 2 board limit per bag.

Can you check/pay for two board bags?
Can you check/pay for a long board bag?
 10/19/2015 02:35 PM

sarasotasurfer

Joined Forum: 07/27/2003

I'll try and get some information on this but my assumption is you can check or pay for as much luggage as you want including oversized luggage because it all adds up to more revenue and the suits love revenue.  I'll try and get some facts.

10/19/2015 03:06 PM

BLat

Joined Forum: 10/28/2010

I've always flown spirit and:

1. Pre-Paid for my board bag over the phone prior to departure to stream-line the process at the check-in counter, and reduce any possibility of them questioning the contents of my bag

2. Always packed 3-4 boards in 1 coffin bag. (2 day bags x 2 boards/day bag)

3. Never paid for a "carry-on" and always claim that my 55L Osprey backpack is my "personal item". I usually pull a football boot-leg maneuver at the gate so the ticket-ripper doesn't see my massive pack and ask me to try and squeeze it in the little metal cage at the gate.

4. Utilize my savings from the above methods to purchase a "Big Front Seat" for $30.

Disclaimer: you will pay $100/bag at the gate if they deem your "personal item" too large.

10/19/2015 09:11 PM

sarasotasurfer

Please do not take the advice on #3.  As I stated on the first page it makes everyone's life easier including yours if you just follow the rules.  If you break them and get caught you essentially get penalized and get charged a ridiculous fee.  Just follow the rules.  All the exact maximum measurements for a "personal item" and "carry on" are on the website.  Measure your bag ahead of time if you aren't sure.

10/20/2015 03:16 AM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

Thnx sarasoasurfer !
 10/20/2015 03:59 AM

BLat

Sarasota surfer sounds like he works for Spirit.

10/20/2015 07:25 AM

tingo

Joined Forum: 09/22/2004

I/we fly Spirit all the time to Costa Rica. My wife is from there and im a surfer which means lots of travel to Costa.

Her family comes here to, all on Spirit. Ive never had a problem neither has the family. They are cheap and yes you do have to pack accordingly.

Like somebody just posted "read the rules".

...and you got me 33,000 feet above ground in a flying tube going three hungred miles an hour and your worried about the cost of water or leg room. I believe just get me there alive.

I know Im in the minority.

10/20/2015 07:45 AM

sarasotasurfer

Originally posted by: BLat Sarasota surfer sounds like he works for Spirit.

I do.  Read page one.  If given full disclosure.

10/20/2015 07:57 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

two boards in one bag.  The main thing is is must not wiegh over 40 lbs. 

Edited: 10/20/2015 at 11:38 AM by SurferMic
 10/20/2015 08:09 AM

sarasotasurfer

Originally posted by: matt_t Spirit bag questions? web policy is not completely clear. Calling the service number has been a pain to get through, I'll try again later. I understand the 2 board limit per bag. Can you check/pay for two board bags? Can you check/pay for a long board bag?

Here is the best I could find in the contract of carriage which every airline has.  Spirit's says you are limited to a maximum of five checked bags.  Surfboards are included as part of that limit with a max of two boards in a bag.  Now does this mean you can bring five board bags with two boards each as long as you pay for each board bag (currently $100 each way)?  I assume this is the case.  I can't find any information stating otherwise.  The contract of carriage also states you will have to sign a waiver to release spirit from any liability for damages to the board.  Just so you know surfers aren't being singled out, this waiver is also required for musical instruments, camera equipment, and other fragile items. 

Contract of carriage 

http://www.spirit.com/content/documents/en-us/Contract_of_Carriage.pdf?_ga=1.53712555.2097619044.1444588383#page18

Baggage fees.  Sporting equipment drop down shows surdboards.

https://spirit.com/OptionalServices

10/20/2015 08:25 AM

sarasotasurfer

Originally posted by: SurferMic I have flown Spirit maybe 60+ times (surf and non-surf trips), Pre-pay your board bag and you can have up to two boards in one bag.  The main thing is is must not wiegh over 40 lbs.  I do not check luggage but instead have a backpack that must be able to fit underneath the seat in front they do not charge for small carry on.  Only in PR did I notice more board damage than expected. 

A pilot I know who does the FL-San Juan route says he has seen local baggage handlers in PR purposely crush boards while unloading, maybe true, maybe a urban myth...

So for $100 bucks you can get 2 boards and a towel boardshorts etc.  Just make sure it is below 40lbs.  Pack "spartan" with small backpack.  As for drinks  this is a "trick" I use when ever I travel....buy mini-bottles before you go, pack 4 - 1.5 ounce mini bottles of good vodka, ask for a Cup of soda water (not a bottle) mix your own...ask politely for another cup of soda water, cups of water are usually free, bottles are not.  Yes I am very cheap but I do get around and have fun while doing it!

Thanks for your business.  

FYI it's against federal regulations (not spirit alone) to consume your own alcohol on a plane.  This is to prevent overconsumption because the flight attendants can meter the intake.  A drunk can become a serious safety concern under the the right conditions.  Now if a flight attendant catches you drinking your own stash most will politely ask you to stop before escalating it but they are not required to and you can be subject to being met by law enforcement at the destination.  Just an FYI. Probably not worth it for a couple cheap drinks.

The free cup of water is only required for those that need it to take medications.  As always you are more than welcome to bring your own food and non alcoholic beverages on the plane with you if you wish to not buy ours.

10/20/2015 08:31 AM

SurferMic

Hmmm learn something new every day,

Thanks SarasotaSurfer...

Edited: 10/20/2015 at 11:11 AM by SurferMic
 10/20/2015 09:36 AM

BLat

Originally posted by: sarasotasurfer
Originally posted by: BLat Sarasota surfer sounds like he works for Spirit. [IMG][/IMG]

I do.  Read page one.  If given full disclosure.

whoops I didn't see that. Makes sense. 

10/20/2015 10:04 AM

sarasotasurfer

So you want to buy a ticket from mco to myr and stow away to acy?  Yes that's illegal.

10/20/2015 10:52 AM

SurferMic

That is good info to know

I think the term is called hidden city ticketing.  This is regarding domestic flights only.

Edited: 10/20/2015 at 11:17 AM by SurferMic
 10/20/2015 10:57 AM

BLat

There was literally a guy/kid who programmed a website to discover those types of ticket-fare flaws and expose them to customers seeking such loop-holes. 

Not sure if he was ever prosecuted, but the airline companies went after him REAL QUICK. 

10/20/2015 06:22 PM

sarasotasurfer

Hidden city flying isn't illegal as far as I know.  I must have misunderstood what you were trying to say.  You want to buy a ticket from MCO to MYR that connects in ACY but just get off in ACY correct?  That is hidden city.  It's not illegal but certainly frowned upon.

10/20/2015 08:01 PM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

I can't speak about Spirit, but I agree on the fact that more often than not the ticket agents at the counter seem unqualified or untrained for their jobs on the less expensive airlines. Now, I'm not a easiest customer by far, but my most recent flight experience, I was unable to get a ticket and get on the flight because apparently the flight ended boarding early. I ended up staying overnight  and waiting until the next available flight 24hrs later, which ended up being delayed 2 hrs. I don't know if it's just airline policy, but when departure time isn't for another 15 minutes they should be helpful and not argue with you about whether you can make it to the gate or not. If you don't make, then what's it matter to them that they printed you a ticket that you didn't use.

The other one that bugs me like crazy is when airlines open your boardbags and start unpacking your bags to see how many boards are in there. There's already a weight limit and bag fee. So why do they have to count them? Isn't a little biased to be counting surfboards when golf clubs, snowboards, skis, etc... and other oversized sports equipment bags aren't? In fact I would love for them to start counting golf clubs and see how that goes. Every 4 golfclubs probably weigh about the same as a surfboard.

Finally, this one worked in my favor as I wasn't charged, but when a ticket agent can't figure out how to schedule your flight, answer a specific question, or bill you correctly for the flight it makes you wonder why not just have an self service check in as that's about the equivalent level of service you're getting with some airlines these days so why not just do away with the irritating and unhelpful ticket agents and allow people to weigh their own baggage etc...

Regulation after regulation and less and less service. If your bag fits in the luggage rack, even if you have to mush it down it counts! I'm almost tempted to just wear everything I'm packing and some baggy pants with extra pockets to put stuff in and see if they try and charge me for what I'm wearing!

Edited: 10/20/2015 at 08:19 PM by Sector9surf
 10/21/2015 06:49 AM

SeniorSurfer

Joined Forum: 01/31/2015

I had flown Spirit to NICA form many years but finally gave up after 3 major incidents.  The first is when they did not load our boards on the flight and had to drive back to Managa 3 days later to get boards.  The next problems was when Spirit cancelled the connecting fligh in Ft. Lauderdale and left us stranded at the airport.  We had to find our own hotel.  The next day I demanded they put us on a flight which they did with American.  The last trip, we purchased new caryy-on bags and measured to make sure they fit the measements.  Notwithstanding, the check-in worker charged us big time claiming the bags were oversized.  I gave help this year and flew American.  Better schedule, nicer people and no hassel about luggage.  Spirit is not worth the savings, if any.

FORUMS : Surfing : Spirit airlines.

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .