Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: I wanna ride......gato heroi --- spaceroach
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/21/2015 10:22 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/21/2015 10:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

KP

Joined Forum: 07/28/2006

Man that looks fun!!

Video -gato heroi --- spaceroach
gato video

-------------------------
Time and tide wait for no one.....

Edited: 05/05/2015 at 06:30 AM by KP
 02/22/2015 04:30 AM

LagoonSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/06/2009

Love eggs! If that had quad boxes it would be the perfect ride 'as is.'

Brother, when you get a minute, could I get a list of the words that trigger these fits?

Hey. Where are we going? (And what are we doing in a hand-basket?)
 02/22/2015 03:16 PM

keithncocoa

Joined Forum: 07/27/2003

robin kegel makes some of the coolest boards boards...
im definately a fan of his longboards, for quite a while now

support small business - get a new board every 6 months :)
Fatcatsurfboards - hecto en estados unidos - fatcatsurfboards.com
fatcatsurfboards@instagram
 02/24/2015 07:33 PM

KP

this board would have been perfect for today !!!

02/25/2015 08:52 AM

shapewright

Joined Forum: 07/18/2010

Robin, I have a hard time not calling him Robbie anymore, was just back here in Socal, I built him 2 balsas for Japan in the fall and shaped several of his masters for KKL. He like Wally Smith, is one of my "adopted" sons, amazing young man, dances to beat of is own drummer, a hip George Greenough with ADDH

02/25/2015 08:54 AM

shapewright

Robin, I have a hard time not calling him Robbie anymore, was just back here in Socal, I built him 2 balsas for Japan in the fall and shaped several of his masters for KKL. He like Wally Smith, is one of my "adopted" sons, amazing young man, dances to beat of is own drummer, a hip George Greenough with ADDH

02/25/2015 11:07 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

Noticed how early he was getting into waves? Guliding prone and setting up his entry.  Nice turns off the bottom and getting a few covers n some rather average surf.  It's 6'2" and He still can do a forward trim and catch a nose ride. How sweet is that?  I Have long held the opinion that most Surfers would be better off on a Egg or wider fish then what I see most riding. 

02/25/2015 11:48 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: artz

Noticed how early he was getting into waves? Guliding prone and setting up his entry.  Nice turns off the bottom and getting a few covers n some rather average surf.  It's 6'2" and He still can do a forward trim and catch a nose ride. How sweet is that?  I Have long held the opinion that most Surfers would be better off on a Egg or wider fish then what I see most riding. 

You mean that 98% of the surfing world would be better off if they did not try and ride boards designed for the 2% ..... surly you jest!

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 02/26/2015 11:29 AM

artz

Yes I was only joking. What can I say. Oh whats Kelly surfing this week or do we now only follow John John? mt 5'8" reverse tail upsidedown twin v semi gun with the bellied concave nose and a volum of 4.5 liters wasn't working this morning.  What would you recomend for suring in Jacksonville? might nned another Board for surfing NSB They have diffrnt waves down there might need more volume since the water won't float boards as well.  My 5'6" works great on the Great Salt lake paddles much better there then here in Florida. 

02/27/2015 09:02 AM

shapewright

Ah Geeze Artz, reminds me of Dale Dobson and the "best board he ever rode", but the next morning he said he rode it at high tide and it didn't work as well with all that "extra" water under it, it floats better at low tide, If I'm lying, I'm dying

02/27/2015 09:52 AM

eibla

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

Many moons ago I bought 6'6" a Skip Frye egg from an itinerant Cali surfer passing through town that needed $ to get back home. It had very similar template to the board in the vid. Was my favorite board for a few years. Frye's rails were magic, "S" rail, high at the nose transitioning to down rail at the tail. It was ripped off during the "Great 16th street Board theft" of 1979. (Everybody's quiver in the apt complex was stolen when a door wasn't locked for the night). Years later while in San Diego I went to Harry's Surf shop and Skip made me a replacement 7'8" 3 fin egg, same template but a little wider tail. which I still have. Was my every day rider until I decided (as I'm getting older) to get some more float. Called up Harry's and received the dreaded message that Skip was no longer doing production custom shapes. I completely refurbished the 7'8" and it's hanging on my wall. I begrudgingly let my kid ride it every now and then and he digs it, but he is so hard on boards it's not gonna be his until I croak. I agree that probably 75% of local shortboarders would be better served with an egg type board than "What Kelly rides". But, it's their surfing habit and they can screw it up anyway they want to.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness -
John Kenneth Galbraith
 02/27/2015 10:32 AM

artz

Dale Dobson was always around when I was living in Encinitas.  I Have heard that story before  about the board not being right at High Tide, and it does ring true. He was not the brightest bulb but was an very talented Athlete. He could have played pro baseball. He was drafted out of high School to play for the Padres  but wanted to surf.  From what I have heard he is still with us but in very poor health now.  Dale could surf anything and excell. Knee Boards Long Boards Short Boards.  He was also a wave hug but over all I liked the Guy.  Like I said he seemed to be one taco short of a combo plate. in his prime he could have given Kelly Slater a run for his money. 

02/27/2015 10:36 AM

artz

Originally posted by: eibla Many moons ago I bought 6'6" a Skip Frye egg from an itinerant Cali surfer passing through town that needed $ to get back home. It had very similar template to the board in the vid. Was my favorite board for a few years. Frye's rails were magic, "S" rail, high at the nose transitioning to down rail at the tail. It was ripped off during the "Great 16th street Board theft" of 1979. (Everybody's quiver in the apt complex was stolen when a door wasn't locked for the night). Years later while in San Diego I went to Harry's Surf shop and Skip made me a replacement 7'8" 3 fin egg, same template but a little wider tail. which I still have. Was my every day rider until I decided (as I'm getting older) to get some more float. Called up Harry's and received the dreaded message that Skip was no longer doing production custom shapes. I completely refurbished the 7'8" and it's hanging on my wall. I begrudgingly let my kid ride it every now and then and he digs it, but he is so hard on boards it's not gonna be his until I croak. I agree that probably 75% of local shortboarders would be better served with an egg type board than "What Kelly rides". But, it's their surfing habit and they can screw it up anyway they want to.

You may want to check in with some of the people that have worked with Skip in the past. Many have studied the master and have his style of shaping down. It won't be the same but close. Try contacting Bird at Birds Surf Shed. He might be able to get you a close copy of a Frye Egg. 

02/27/2015 10:45 AM

SURFSMURF

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Eibla, I actually have a 6'-6" Skip Frye Egg. What color was yours?
 02/27/2015 05:02 PM

eibla

Really!? Mine was basically a clear laminate. At the time it was slightly yellowed\tanned from the sun. Had a fairly large Frye wing decal on the deck and penciled wing from a stencil with Skip,s signature inside on the bottom. Hope your taking it for spin a now and again!

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness -
John Kenneth Galbraith
 02/27/2015 05:08 PM

eibla

Originally posted by: artz

Originally posted by: eibla Many moons ago I bought 6'6" a Skip Frye egg from an itinerant Cali surfer passing through town that needed $ to get back home. It had very similar template to the board in the vid. Was my favorite board for a few years. Frye's rails were magic, "S" rail, high at the nose transitioning to down rail at the tail. It was ripped off during the "Great 16th street Board theft" of 1979. (Everybody's quiver in the apt complex was stolen when a door wasn't locked for the night). Years later while in San Diego I went to Harry's Surf shop and Skip made me a replacement 7'8" 3 fin egg, same template but a little wider tail. which I still have. Was my every day rider until I decided (as I'm getting older) to get some more float. Called up Harry's and received the dreaded message that Skip was no longer doing production custom shapes. I completely refurbished the 7'8" and it's hanging on my wall. I begrudgingly let my kid ride it every now and then and he digs it, but he is so hard on boards it's not gonna be his until I croak. [IMG][/IMG] I agree that probably 75% of local shortboarders would be better served with an egg type board than "What Kelly rides". But, it's their surfing habit and they can screw it up anyway they want to.

You may want to check in with some of the people that have worked with Skip in the past. Many have studied the master and have his style of shaping down. It won't be the same but close. Try contacting Bird at Birds Surf Shed. He might be able to get you a close copy of a Frye Egg. 

Thanks artz...I live in Cocoa Beach and have no idea where Bird's is. Right now I'm on a sweet chubby custom Nielson 9 footer that I'm very happy with. But.....???

John Kenneth Galbraith
 02/28/2015 09:16 AM

artz

Do a Goggle search Bird's Shed is in San Diego He is friends with Skip and a host of other excellent shapers.  The don side of getting a board from CA is the cost of shipping.  Of couse Florida has some very good shapers and Perhaps One of those shapers could study one of Skips shapes and reproduce a close replica.  

03/01/2015 06:47 PM

KP

If anybody decides to part with a shape similar to the discussed above let a brotha know ! ;-)

03/05/2015 01:48 PM

KP

Almost bought one last week but the fella had "sellers remorse" just before I traveled to meet him. :-(

But the fire still burns......
Gonna have to save some more pennys!!

mayo huevo

Edited: 03/05/2015 at 07:41 PM by KP
 03/06/2015 09:49 AM

artz

If you want to see some really fin Quad egg style Boards check out Mair Surfboards.  The other boards he is showing like the Longboard assymetrical looks ike a lot of fun. Might have to sell a kidney to buy one. 

FORUMS : Surfing : I wanna ride......gato heroi --- spaceroach

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .