Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: What really makes up a small wave board?
Topic Summary: New board not quite magic...
Created On: 11/17/2014 05:53 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/18/2014 02:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

PepperDeath

Joined Forum: 09/27/2014

Well I'll definetly have to try switching up the fin set up, I was truly a little bummed when it came with FCS II Med. Carvers, I've had the 'Performers' before and liked them; so I'll play with it.

I've had customs before and always turned out great but I suppose each case is different, I dig the 'haircut' metaphor, plus the main reasoning behind it was they only had 5'10s on the shelf and I thought that'd be just too much board

Who knows, from the rocker to the rails to the roundish nose (all except for the rounded pin) it is pretty similar to other boards I have/ had that do work well in small waves, so like dan said, very well may be the archer. 

Like I said Ill give an update afer a few more paddles, if anyone gives a shit..  & Maybe next time Ill just pick up a door from Lowes.

-------------------------

'Out of step' - Ian Mackaye

11/18/2014 03:21 PM

nsbkook

Joined Forum: 12/07/2011

what do you guys think of a mini-simmons as a small wave destroyer? what size min-simm would be good for a guy that's more kook than shredder and weighs about a buck seventy?
 11/18/2014 04:08 PM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

I won't get a mini simmons It's a specialized board. If you want short short wave checking ride get a fish But first watch all the old footage you can on people riding fish. 

11/18/2014 05:07 PM

delpy3200

Joined Forum: 09/02/2014

Yeah the performers will deff give you some life back ( it's closer to the m5 template ) I've daied in one board with h2 sides and k2.1 center.(6'5 wbber afterburner) Now trying to figure out a 6'8x21.5x2.75  wrv fun fish. It's just a weird shape but I swear it'll fly if I can find the right setup ? Any one ride a similar board and have advice ?

11/18/2014 05:32 PM

Jack'

Joined Forum: 04/27/2005

Originally posted by: delpy3200

Yeah the performers will deff give you some life back ( it's closer to the m5 template ) I've daied in one board with h2 sides and k2.1 center.(6'5 wbber afterburner) Now trying to figure out a 6'8x21.5x2.75  wrv fun fish. It's just a weird shape but I swear it'll fly if I can find the right setup ? Any one ride a similar board and have advice ?

I use twin fins on my 6"8 and its pretty magical

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
 11/18/2014 05:54 PM

dan

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Originally posted by: nsbkook what do you guys think of a mini-simmons as a small wave destroyer? what size min-simm would be good for a guy that's more kook than shredder and weighs about a buck seventy?

I've been riding mini simons style boards for a good while now and have had numerous ranging from 5'0" to my current 5'5".  They are a whole different ballgame from most everything out there but once you get them dialed they are so much fun.

NSBKOOK....At the moment I have a 5'4" and a 5'5" which I would be happy to let you test drive, just let me know.

11/18/2014 06:05 PM

SurfingSaltRaper2

Joined Forum: 04/03/2013

Should've got Jesse V to shape it!! my brother has one of those secret agents from quiet flight and to be honest it's the crappiest feeling board I've ever rode

Surfing Rots your Brain...
 11/18/2014 07:11 PM

foam ball

Joined Forum: 06/01/2005

Short wide flatter rocker, good rail volume and wide point forward is a common list on my small wave boards. Don't get a round pin and expect it to be a lively board in average gutless conditions.
 11/18/2014 07:31 PM

LostSherpa

Joined Forum: 05/02/2012

Originally posted by: Central Floridave Small wave board for me is one that 1) floats you 2) Wide with no rocker 3) Quad fin fish 4) has great paint job. LOL. #4 is probably the most important...

The Dude Abides.

http://www.rollerphotography.com/

11/18/2014 07:44 PM

Av8Surf

Joined Forum: 09/05/2014

First what do you consider small wave?

How much do you weigh? 5'8" seems too short for any small wave board unless your a grom. 

No rocker doesn't seem like a good plan either. It won't fit bigger waves. The board will have no versatility. 

Trading Surfboards for Bitcoin or Ethereum.

Send me Bitcoin 1Dk8oJnprZfvXGDfZpxkuoko8SSVf5Tpp2

Boards For Sale: SUPs 11 foot and 12 foot BRAND NEW. Fair prices.
 11/18/2014 09:23 PM

TunnelVision

Joined Forum: 10/02/2003

Love my FW Baked Potato. Similar to sweet potato but more snappy. Has lots of float, easy to catch waves, fast - but still snappy. Requires top to bottom style surfing - doesnt hold a good line, but turns really easy. Definitely wants a "backfoot" style of turning (instead of full on rail carve). Perfect FL board in anything from knee high to head high days, which is most of our days. A good board for any of our local beaches with exception of spanny house or the inlet. Takes a few sessions to get used to, then you will likely never go back to a regular shortboard. my size recommendation for this board would be something along the lines of this
  • 140 Lbs. 5'1
  • 160 Lbs. 5'3
  • 180 Lbs. 5'5
  • 200+ Lbs 5'7
and to the local shapers, I would really recommend coming up with designs like this. These boards are fun as hell. I would have bought local if I could have found this shape locally.

Edited: 11/18/2014 at 09:31 PM by TunnelVision
 11/19/2014 06:32 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Originally posted by: Av8Surf First what do you consider small wave?

How much do you weigh? 5'8" seems too short for any small wave board unless your a grom. 

No rocker doesn't seem like a good plan either. It won't fit bigger waves. The board will have no versatility. 

+2 

good points / questions......

Pepperspray, It would help if you mentioned your size and abilty level

11/19/2014 08:17 AM

foam ball

Just looked it up to see what it looked like. It looks like it would be fun in small waves but....
It has a pulled in tail which reduces lift in the rear. Not so lively in average stuff. It has a short curvy rail line which isn't ideal for creating drive. Longer less curvy outline especially toward the tail is better in small gutless crap. Put that board on a good wave where the wave helps with speed generation and I'm sure it will feel like a really good stick. Just my .02
 11/19/2014 08:21 AM

foam ball

5'8" isn't too short depending on ability. I'm 5'9" 200 lbs and my daily driver is a 5'7" × 19 3/8 x 2 3/8 and it works great for me.
 11/19/2014 11:09 AM

surferKev07

Joined Forum: 06/08/2007

That board looks fun, but it probably needs a little more than a grovel type wave. I had a CI Gravy that was similar to that board and it was not a true groveler. It's really hard to get one short board to handle every kind of wave around here. I like to have a true groveler in my collection, and I've had good luck with weird fish type boards for small surf. For the average to decent days, I've been riding shorter and wider boards with plenty of volume. It's all relative though. The archer and arrow analogy is spot on.
 11/19/2014 02:58 PM

PepperDeath

Ok, to reiterate the board doesn't surf bad, not super drivey but it holds its own and turns when and where I ask it too. I just feel I need to get it a little more dialed. My problem was it not wanting to catch waves, it acted like the lethargic fat kid in class at dodgeball who just wanted to give up as soon as possible, get it over with and go back to sitting down, probably eating and making fat people noises. I would paddle hard as hell and just have the wave roll under me, time and time again. (I'd never had this problem before on almost every wave). I finally got it down and started catching them really late and it all worked out. So it probably wasn't the wiset choice in board for my woes and wants but fuck it, it will be ok.

I was just curious, person to person, as to what defines a small wave board, that by association should be able to catch about anything with relative ease.. Sometimes my thoughts and questions get jangled up and distorted by all my useless words, and sometimes people don't read. 

& I don't know who Pepperspray is but for as me, I'm hovering around 160-165 at 6'0, my ability is probably middle of the road (I may not land every one or complete every wave but I'm comfortable with turns, hacks, generating speed, etc. (still trying to find more consistency and work on my BS, haha puns!)). And as for the too small theory, I've had many affairs with 5'6"s..7"s, 10"s, etc. It's what I'm comfortable with, and I don't care for bigger boards, sorry if some of you feel the need to overcompensate. (just kidding).

11/19/2014 03:13 PM

PepperDeath

...And just to make a point, the differences in ideas.. from Av8Surf's concept that 5'8" is way too small to dan's 5'5 and 5'4 rent-a-cars that he enjoys.. is the kind of discussion and debate I was attempting to promote here. (though it may have got stuck in the mustard with my oh-so-selfish stories.).. Just saying.

Anyways thank yall for the insight. (espicially foamball's words; makes sense)

Edited: 11/19/2014 at 03:21 PM by PepperDeath
 11/20/2014 11:46 AM

surferKev07

Joined Forum: 06/08/2007

It's all relative, but if you can surf fairly well and you can't catch a wave on a board.... It's probably not the one for you. Been there done that.

I am over 40, 6'0" around 185. I ride smaller boards with lots of volume. Volume is the key!

If it helps this is what I ride:

For under waist high surf: 5'7" Lost Couch Potato. It catches anything. Five fin setup, but I always ride it as a quad. Dims: 5'7 21.75" 2.44" 35.1L

Waist high to slightly overhead: 5'10" Quiet Flight Hot Rod 2. Thruster. Works so good here! Love this board.

Bigger stuff: 6'1" CI Rubble Pintail with five fin setup, I prefer to ride it as a thruster. Dims: 6'1" 19 3/8 2 7/16 30.1L
 11/20/2014 01:24 PM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

You said you were struggling at Spanish House with the board. Depending on conditions it can be challeging to get into waves early at Spanny.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

11/20/2014 05:19 PM

PepperDeath

Originally posted by: daner You said you were struggling at Spanish House with the board. Depending on conditions it can be challeging to get into waves early at Spanny.

Yeah, I know what you mean, though not sure what does it, maybe a tide change thing coupled with what the floor is doing that day. That same thought had crossed my mind and I honestly had debated on asking, who was apparently, your son if even he was having a harder time than usual, but I just kept to myself as I tend to do. What 'erked' me was that I had never had such a hard time and it was feeling like the board was to blame, but that's always the easiest scapegoat. I've been waiting on this wind to die just a little to give it another go.

To be honest I feel like I started this thread too soon, I should have gone for a few more sessions before I posted my initial whiney review. Anyways that's neither here nor there.

FORUMS : Surfing : What really makes up a small wave board?

<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .