Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Longboard Advice Needed
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/27/2014 08:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/27/2014 08:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sillysalt

Joined Forum: 05/19/2004

I have reached my 2 year anniversary of longboarding after riding a short board for 26 years...I absolutely love it, and have ridden my short board only once in those two years. I am on a 9'6" Walden Magic, kind of a performance oriented board. I had it out during Gonzalo Saturday, and it felt perfect. I am looking for a most likely bigger board for the rib high days and smaller. I am basically interested in a classic nose riding board. The majority of the days for me the past year have been knee to waist or so. I have been saving up money, and close to pulling the trigger on a new board...I have been looking at the Neilson Right Coast Cruiser, and other local shaped boards, as well as some of the Hobie's and Webber's as well. What do you guys think for a classic nose rider in our typical days, suggestions, experiences? I am about 175, 5'8", and fit.

-------------------------
Who needs a better life?
 10/27/2014 08:39 PM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

http://www.2ndlight.com/fuseta...d=161622&enterthread=y

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 10/28/2014 06:08 AM

theslasher

Joined Forum: 06/16/2008

talk to Dennis at core!

10/28/2014 07:52 AM

phreshmango

Joined Forum: 12/05/2005

Croninsurf.com just shaped my first longboard and have been having a blast last few days
 10/28/2014 09:09 AM

vtecmonster

Joined Forum: 10/02/2007

Originally posted by: sillysalt I have reached my 2 year anniversary of longboarding after riding a short board for 26 years...I absolutely love it, and have ridden my short board only once in those two years. I am on a 9'6" Walden Magic, kind of a performance oriented board. I had it out during Gonzalo Saturday, and it felt perfect. I am looking for a most likely bigger board for the rib high days and smaller. I am basically interested in a classic nose riding board. The majority of the days for me the past year have been knee to waist or so. I have been saving up money, and close to pulling the trigger on a new board...I have been looking at the Neilson Right Coast Cruiser, and other local shaped boards, as well as some of the Hobie's and Webber's as well. What do you guys think for a classic nose rider in our typical days, suggestions, experiences? I am about 175, 5'8", and fit.

I wish I had some insight to give you, but I don't... I just felt bad for you. 2ndlight seems to be a fantastic resource for local surfing info, but it's an aweful place when it comes to board advice. 

2 big problems - 1 people that give advice, you don't know their skill level and their ability to judge boards. 2 there are too many people on here that their paycheck or their friend's paycheck superseeds objective advice.

10/28/2014 11:11 AM

FatSUPr

Joined Forum: 05/26/2011

Most shapers in brevard county can shape you exactly what you want. 

However if I was you, I would head to core surf. Can't really go wrong there.  

10/28/2014 04:53 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

yeah, at your size, I could easily say in the pink, but I know Forstall, Neilson, Buehn, Ricky, and so many other local folks could do the same thing for you. I have a 9'6" that you could hang 10 on easily as I'm 6'2 and 215, but if you live here, and would like to meet stoked people who live to create boards to fit your needs, I say you go talk to them. They are really cool folks that try to make a living off of making boards.
 10/28/2014 05:26 PM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

Keith at 321 Surfboards also makes really nice epoxy longboards.

10/28/2014 05:53 PM

surftech

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Come to Matt Bellina's benefit on November 8th. We are having a live auction for a decked out 321 longboard shaped by Keith.
 10/28/2014 07:00 PM

Av8Surf

Joined Forum: 09/05/2014

I'm curious what you settle on. I too would like a classic nose rider.

Conditions yesterday where perfect for it. 

What's the story with Core?

Trading Surfboards for Bitcoin or Ethereum.

Send me Bitcoin 1Dk8oJnprZfvXGDfZpxkuoko8SSVf5Tpp2

Boards For Sale: SUPs 11 foot and 12 foot BRAND NEW. Fair prices.
 10/28/2014 08:02 PM

Sector9surf

Originally posted by: Av8Surf I'm curious what you settle on. I too would like a classic nose rider.

They're "Core". Enuf said. Jk. Dennis has always stocked really, really nice longboards in there and has tons of boards to choose from right off the shelf also. The majority of the shorter boards are Starr's which are nice boards for the shredders or shoulder hoppers as some would put it. What are you wondering about Core?

10/28/2014 08:30 PM

sillysalt

Joined Forum: 05/19/2004

Originally posted by: Sector9surf
Originally posted by: Av8Surf I'm curious what you settle on. I too would like a classic nose rider.

They're "Core". Enuf said. Jk. Dennis has always stocked really, really nice longboards in there and has tons of boards to choose from right off the shelf also. The majority of the shorter boards are Starr's which are nice boards for the shredders or shoulder hoppers as some would put it. What are you wondering about Core?

Are the longboards locally shaped?

Who needs a better life?
 10/29/2014 04:58 AM

surfn748

Joined Forum: 10/23/2005

I would check out Mayo's Soft Tail.
 10/29/2014 05:58 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Worth the walk thru LB House, probably more boards to look at than anywhere else.

Another name is Bill Eberwein in Cocoa Beach (?).  I don't know if he's still shaping Hawaiian Salt boards but they're pretty classic shapes.

edit:  found it

Here's a pic of the Eberwein stepdeck I got from Dan a couple years back. Nice ride.  

More all around than dedicated noserider but that's what I was after.

stepdeck

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 10/29/2014 06:42 PM

Sector9surf

Originally posted by: sillysalt
Originally posted by: Sector9surf

Are the longboards locally shaped?

Some are, some aren't. All the Starr boards are shaped locally and there are a bunch of both longboards and shortboards made by Starr in there. I remember a lot of the longboards from before being California boards such as Bing and Hobies when he first opened. I'm not 100% sure what he has in there right now, but there is always a good selection to at least browse. I find it helpful to look at boards before getting a custom one so you can decide what you like or don't like before going to a shaper. I However, usually don't purchase custom boards because I buy used and am not picky on what I ride.

If you're wanting to get a custom or want to build the customer- shaper relationship, I recommend, as some of the people above may have already, to go to Tom Nielson, Keith at 321boards, Ricky Carroll, Stu Sharpe at Ocean Sports, Sean Slater, or other shapers. Almost all those guys will talk to you about what you want, give you advice, and let you watch them shape your board, which if you haven't seen before is really cool.

Edited: 10/29/2014 at 06:50 PM by Sector9surf
 10/29/2014 07:09 PM

Jack'

Joined Forum: 04/27/2005

Stu Sharpe is shaping me a 9'2 performance nose rider. I dont really nose ride that well but I love how it rides. My new one is going to have vector net over the deck and rails.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
 10/31/2014 08:43 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

You guys have plenty of good local LB shapers in your area... Ricky, Eberwein, Mayo, Neilson, etc.....

Spend a little more and get a custom classic style Glider that you'll hold on to for years.  I recently did the same (Ken White up here) to get me through summertime time and small days....... I'm not giving up my performance shortiies though!

10/31/2014 09:56 AM

monoman

Joined Forum: 05/09/2006

I would say a traditional poly glass board. Made either by a local shaper or pick up a used classic styled board.

* 10' 4" PSH SUP
* 9' 6" Takayama Model T
* 9' 4" Fox "Billy D"
* 6' Lost PJ HP Round
 10/31/2014 10:20 AM

matt70

Joined Forum: 01/15/2007

a heavy 10' single fin.
 10/31/2014 10:48 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Yep, go 10.0 for the smaller, "cruiser", waves around here. Can't go wrong. Keep the Walden, it will fill-in-all-the-blanks.

And, yes, the Space Coast is loaded with World Class shapers.

Dora Hates You
FORUMS : Surfing : Longboard Advice Needed

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .