Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Using your waterproof phone while surfing?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/23/2014 02:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/23/2014 02:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

I was having a random discussion the other day and got on the topic of surf coaching and video analysis, when I came up with a probably stupid, but interesting idea. Instead of watching the video analysis afterwards, if there was a simple solution to waterproof audio, a coach could call out mistakes and advice just like they do on the sidelines of other sports. The only thing is it's usually that crazy mom or dad yelling at the time of their lungs, while none of the players are actually listening.

I know they make waterproof phones and have joked about talking on one while surfing, but have never seen someone doing it. So I'm just wondering if anyone has ever seen a person talking on a phone in the lineup yet? With technology these days, you know it will eventually happen.

10/23/2014 03:09 PM

orlandork

Joined Forum: 09/08/2003

Lifeproof have had cases for some time, i probably wouldn't use one in real surf but I'm pretty sure Florida's gutless surf won't do much of a beating on them. http://m.thewirecutter.com/rev...aterproof-iphone-case/
 10/23/2014 03:11 PM

dropsolo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I've got a lifeproof case. I've dipped it in the pool to test it. Found a small leak that got water inside but not nearly enough to kill the phone.

Lesson: lifeproof ; I'll take phone out in the rain, no worry. Listen to phone in pool. But keep the phone from deliberate dips in the water.

Waterproof camera with a screen on back = normal point and shoot style might be the best. That way you can have immediate play back.

-------------------------
I type on fone 99% of time. Let the typos slyde. Thanks
 10/23/2014 06:01 PM

nsbkook

Joined Forum: 12/07/2011

I had a lifeproof for my iphone. waded out into some head high shorepound with it in my pocket. The little hinge that protects the charging port popped open and my phone was flooded.

Fortunately I was able to bring it back from the dead by rinsing it in distilled water then putting it on a ziploc bag full of silica gel beads for a week. But I won't do that again.

I have a watershot case for it that works really well. though.
 10/23/2014 06:58 PM

Jack'

Joined Forum: 04/27/2005

I have a Kyocera hydro that can get wet, can go under a few feet. They say not to use it in saltwater.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
 10/23/2014 07:57 PM

seadragon

Joined Forum: 08/01/2004

Nope. They just get too hot in the cases- it's dangerous for the phone, even in cool water. Too many chances for leaks, since they are not designed for the rigors of surfing. Break down and buy a used GoPro. They're out there, especially with the new upgrade. Go with the GroPro 2 if you can find it- least problems, very good resolution, some say better that the 3. Besides, the lanyards the cases come with are a sure way to lose your phone for good, so have a back up to clear your device if you go that route. Extra surfboards mounts are out there too, see if you can't get the seller to throw a couple in. Just make sure you clean your surfboard well before applying, and let it cure 24 HOURS before using!!!!
 10/23/2014 09:51 PM

Surfproducts.Com

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

You can always order a pizza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Zdm3CkxVg

http://www.Surfproducts.com
The Future of Surf Shopping
Or come visit
Cocoa Beach Surf & Skate
260 N. Orlando Ave.
 10/23/2014 09:54 PM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

I think the point was missed. I was talking about using your phone for communicating, out in the water, not making videos. IE a waterproof bluetooth or earbud, that could be used to communicate with someone on the beach or have a "board meeting". I know a few people, such as on call workers, who would probably love having the option.

Aha, I think I found it, the perfect solution:

Waterproof, submersible, and floating walkie talkies which work up to 50 miles only $150.

http://www.uniden.com/two-way-radios/icat/twowayradios_b2c

This should be an interesting experiment.

Edited: 10/23/2014 at 10:06 PM by Sector9surf
 10/24/2014 12:37 AM

seadragon

Joined Forum: 08/01/2004

The point is still the same- leaving your phone in a standard off the rack pouch/case for more than 30 minutes can cause overheating problems, and does not bode well for your phone. Maybe if you're keeping your phone off until you need to make a call is the the solution.
The Walkie Talkie idea is much smarter and more robust.
 10/24/2014 09:02 AM

johnny

Joined Forum: 12/31/2004

I'm hoping for some kind of waterproof beeper/watch/phone just so I can know when I am missing calls while playing hookey

doesn't seem to be anything ocean ready and convenient yet. I'd rather not carry a $500+ phone with me in the water. The sony xperia Z series is waterproof (and galaxy s5), but I dont believe they say for saltwater. All the smartwatches so far are tethered to the phone and/or not ocean ready.
 10/24/2014 11:13 AM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

Originally posted by: Sector9surf I know they make waterproof phones and have joked about talking on one while surfing, but have never seen someone doing it.
mainly because - anyone who talks on a phone while surfing deserves a smackdown. Continue,

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 10/24/2014 11:30 AM

gaucho

Joined Forum: 01/13/2004

Isn't surfing supposed to be a solitary, escapist endeavor? Do we really want to have to listen to the guy next to us talking loudly while we are trying to have a relaxing session?

Chris Gotshall Photography

View samples of my work here:
https://chrisgotshallphotography.com
 10/24/2014 12:32 PM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

After seeing motorized surfboards in the lineup you gotta think that if its availabe they'll be out there.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

10/24/2014 01:10 PM

surfmcc32

Joined Forum: 11/11/2009

Originally posted by: Jack' I have a Kyocera hydro that can get wet, can go under a few feet. They say not to use it in saltwater.

i just got one off craigslist, are there supposed to be plugs for the charger and headphone jack? used it to listen to music in the shower but I have yet to test it underwater, kinda nervous

10/25/2014 05:36 AM

DownSouthSlidah

Joined Forum: 09/16/2006

Originally posted by: gaucho Isn't surfing supposed to be a solitary, escapist endeavor? Do we really want to have to listen to the guy next to us talking loudly while we are trying to have a relaxing session?

This.

waterproof phones in the lineup? Does tech have to invade every aspect of our lives? The angry man in me (not that he ever really comes out), says if he ever sees that, the perpetrator's phone will be summarily ripped from his hand and hoisted a hundred yards into deep water. That's what the angry man says. The normally easy going, Aloha man will probably devolve into giving a look of serious disgust and feeling like the dominance of ignorance over spirit is complete. A thoroughly depressing thought.

10/25/2014 05:45 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Why bother?

Don't get wet, stay on land, call her and meet her at the Mall. Then, let her talk your ear off.

Dora Hates You
 10/25/2014 05:54 AM

RUSSD

Joined Forum: 06/30/2014

I have used my iphone 4S in a lifeproof case out in small surf, and other salt water activities when i got my first one. It deteriorated rather quickly, I only got about 8 months out of it before it fell apart. So I contacted LP and they sent me a new one, after i sent them pics of the case in bad condition. I have had the new case for about 1 year and it has started to come apart again. This one I didn't ever take in the water, and tried to take care of it as best I could(and I don't think a case that claims to be "lifeproof" should have to be handled gently). I do like the fact that I have dropped it from pretty high up and the phone survived just fine(I have dropped it on quite a few occasions with no damage) so i am very confident in it's ability to withstand impact. Just not comfortable with the waterproof part of it.
Otterbox makes a really heavy duty waterproof case, and it is supposed to be really good, but it is pricey and really bulky. I don't have any personal experience with them, but one of my employees had one and it didn't last any longer than the LP one I have.
as far as communicating with someone in the line-up, I would think that a quality marine 2 way radio would work, but there would be now way to take, and review video.

RUSS-D'S PHOTOGRAPHY
 10/25/2014 09:58 AM

IamSAW

Joined Forum: 05/02/2006

Originally posted by: bob3000 mainly because - anyone who talks on a phone while surfing deserves a smackdown. Continue,
5/5 Bob
 10/25/2014 08:06 PM

Skysurfer

Joined Forum: 05/30/2008

Originally posted by: DownSouthSlidah
Originally posted by: gaucho Isn't surfing supposed to be a solitary, escapist endeavor? Do we really want to have to listen to the guy next to us talking loudly while we are trying to have a relaxing session?

This.

waterproof phones in the lineup? Does tech have to invade every aspect of our lives? The angry man in me (not that he ever really comes out), says if he ever sees that, the perpetrator's phone will be summarily ripped from his hand and hoisted a hundred yards into deep water. That's what the angry man says. The normally easy going, Aloha man will probably devolve into giving a look of serious disgust and feeling like the dominance of ignorance over spirit is complete. A thoroughly depressing thought.

unfortunately some of us have jobs where we are on call.  A waterproof communication device would be the difference between building sand castles or watching tv, and actually going surfing while "working".  I don't want to have a conversation and ruin everyone's session.  I just want to be able to be alerted that I'm needed at work and need to exit the water ASAP

10/25/2014 08:10 PM

Jack'

Joined Forum: 04/27/2005

Originally posted by: surfmcc32

Originally posted by: Jack' I have a Kyocera hydro that can get wet, can go under a few feet. They say not to use it in saltwater.

i just got one off craigslist, are there supposed to be plugs for the charger and headphone jack? used it to listen to music in the shower but I have yet to test it underwater, kinda nervous

I dipped mine in a pool a couple times without any plugs and it was fine.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
FORUMS : Surfing : Using your waterproof phone while surfing?

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .