Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Let the Hype Begin
Topic Summary: Labor day Weekend
Created On: 08/13/2014 07:24 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/13/2014 10:46 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

My vote is with the lovely Maria Molina.

-------------------------

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Edited: 08/13/2014 at 05:37 PM by Karma
 08/13/2014 12:32 PM

OBEY

Joined Forum: 07/21/2006

Originally posted by: ncsurf
Originally posted by: OBEY The good news is the GFS has been showing this system forming for the past 3 days so there is consistency within the 5 day forecast. This will at least have a shot at TD status but making it across the MDR with the racing trade winds and sinking dry air is the biggest issue. 2009 is an analog year to 2014 so I expect we'll get at least one Cape Verde system near what Hurricane Bill was, probably peaking in intensity further west as conditions in the MDR limit how strong a storm will get further east this season. I wouldn't count out multiple storms finding a 1-2 week window of favorable conditions coming into late August and September.

Remember in June when the GFS developed a TC in the NW Caribbean for about 2 weeks straight that never materialized? Even if we wait until the tropical wave is off the west African coastline we still have 5-7 days before we would see surf. Might as well wait until that happens before we get too riled up. But, it is fun to look at 372hr forecast when the surf is as flat as it is.

Or, if you want to waste time another way, check out the NJ cams on Surfline. It is firing up there right now.

Yes I do. I also know that the GFS struggles when predicting systems in times of transition from spring to summer, summer to fall, fall to winter and winter to spring. Climatology makes a case that there should be a storm in the Atlantic during the last week of August and into September, so the GFS scenario is highly believable and much more-so than the scenario in June earlier this summer. We're in the heart of the hurricane season and the GFS typically does very well with its cyclogenesis predictions. The MJO pulse will be strong off the African coast next week and dry air seems to be letting up after the past few tropical waves did a good job dispersing it. I appreciate you letting us know that we wouldn't see swell from a system off Africa until 5-7 days after it formed though. I had no idea....

https://www.facebook.com/FLshredcast
 08/13/2014 12:49 PM

johnny

Joined Forum: 12/31/2004

WTF why is it so good in jersey right now?
 08/13/2014 12:52 PM

ncsurf

Joined Forum: 02/23/2011

Originally posted by: OBEY
Originally posted by: ncsurf
Originally posted by: OBEY The good news is the GFS has been showing this system forming for the past 3 days so there is consistency within the 5 day forecast. This will at least have a shot at TD status but making it across the MDR with the racing trade winds and sinking dry air is the biggest issue. 2009 is an analog year to 2014 so I expect we'll get at least one Cape Verde system near what Hurricane Bill was, probably peaking in intensity further west as conditions in the MDR limit how strong a storm will get further east this season. I wouldn't count out multiple storms finding a 1-2 week window of favorable conditions coming into late August and September.

Remember in June when the GFS developed a TC in the NW Caribbean for about 2 weeks straight that never materialized? Even if we wait until the tropical wave is off the west African coastline we still have 5-7 days before we would see surf. Might as well wait until that happens before we get too riled up. But, it is fun to look at 372hr forecast when the surf is as flat as it is.

Or, if you want to waste time another way, check out the NJ cams on Surfline. It is firing up there right now.

Yes I do. I also know that the GFS struggles when predicting systems in times of transition from spring to summer, summer to fall, fall to winter and winter to spring. Climatology makes a case that there should be a storm in the Atlantic during the last week of August and into September, so the GFS scenario is highly believable and much more-so than the scenario in June earlier this summer. We're in the heart of the hurricane season and the GFS typically does very well with its cyclogenesis predictions. The MJO pulse will be strong off the African coast next week and dry air seems to be letting up after the past few tropical waves did a good job dispersing it. I appreciate you letting us know that we wouldn't see swell from a system off Africa until 5-7 days after it formed though. I had no idea....

Well you are welcome for that information.

Is the GFS predicting a storm because conditions are indeed favorable or because climatology says there should be a storm in late August/early September? In the short range (less than 5-7 days), I'd probably say the former but 7-10 days+ I would argue the latter. Sure, the GFS has nailed a few Cape Verde systems in the past several years beyond the 7 day range but its false-alarm rate is very high. That being said, it seems the GFS has improved with some of the more recent physics packages that have resolved some of the convective feedback issues but that stuff is probably a little above your head.

08/13/2014 01:10 PM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

oooooooooooooooooohhhh!

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 08/13/2014 03:20 PM

DownSouthSlidah

Joined Forum: 09/16/2006

Nice write up here (sorry, can't do the link thing):

http://www.wptv.com/sports/recreation-sports/surfing-blog/updated-local-surf-forecast_20140218014833840

08/14/2014 07:03 AM

Tiptime

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Double Whammy hype!! showing now

The Wavecaster
 08/14/2014 07:10 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

I'm getting that tingly feeling all over.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

08/14/2014 07:24 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Florida I have ignored your wave starved shores for too long!

And this:

08/14/2014 07:49 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

HA.... forecasts 2 weeks out?!?  You guys are like Charlie Brown waiting to kick that football.....

more hot weather babes please

08/14/2014 01:02 PM

johnnyboy

Insert refracto great pumpkin swell here, complete with west wind analysis, bathymetry dissertation, thesis, antithesis and the synthesis and a place to park in Palm Beach. Slow August, Im up for it again.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

08/15/2014 05:12 PM

OBEY

Posted here -

"Newly designated 95l fresh off the coast of Africa looks like a tropical depression already. Unfavorable conditions supposedly exist ahead of it but we'll see what it can do. Something to watch at least.

It's been depressing seeing the tropical waves struggle in the dry Atlantic this season, but eventually there's going to be a window for a few storms to form. New Jersey scored a really fun swell from a Fall-like system so there are definitely hints of an early transition into the NE swell season. Low pressure looks to roll off the OBX next week to potentially gives us our first true ENE-NE rideable bump. Hopefully this is a sign of the pattern to come because it should only get better from here on out into September. "

95L Floater

08/15/2014 05:35 PM

Plan B

SON!

is it me or do I see a condensing COC with Thunderstorm flare-up?! (I know it's what I want to see so...) but yes, it's approaching a dry environment, but hopefully the last 2 moistened it a little bit.

Speaking of moist, normally I'd say there's a higher chance of getting friendly with Ms. Molina than this thing becoming a cat 3+ and taking an ideal track, but I had a custom board just glassed & probably won't get here for a couple of weeks, so that almost gurantees a swell BEFORE I get the board then flatness follows......

08/15/2014 06:58 PM

OBEY

Originally posted by: Plan B SON!

is it me or do I see a condensing COC with Thunderstorm flare-up?! (I know it's what I want to see so...) but yes, it's approaching a dry environment, but hopefully the last 2 moistened it a little bit.

Speaking of moist, normally I'd say there's a higher chance of getting friendly with Ms. Molina than this thing becoming a cat 3+ and taking an ideal track, but I had a custom board just glassed & probably won't get here for a couple of weeks, so that almost gurantees a swell BEFORE I get the board then flatness follows......

I thank you for your sacrifice. Hopefully you have another board ready for the swell.

08/16/2014 04:26 AM

Plan B

yep, I held on to it's predecessor just in case  

look at wave#2 still over land 

08/17/2014 06:24 AM

Tiptime

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Still seeing double whammy hype

The Wavecaster
 08/17/2014 06:35 AM

SpinK

Awesome news!!!

08/17/2014 07:04 AM

surfthecoochie

Joined Forum: 10/11/2006

It will happen
 08/17/2014 07:12 AM

stevea

Joined Forum: 11/20/2009

Yep, right on time to end the month with something, and then start of a new month. For our 3 days of total surf, least something to follow.

08/17/2014 07:32 AM

Plan B

Originally posted by: Tiptime Still seeing double whammy hype

is this off the GFS?

FORUMS : Surfing : Let the Hype Begin

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .