Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: El Salvador
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/02/2023 05:36 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/02/2023 05:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

I went with 3 other friends .In May 1999, we used surf Express and Punta Mango.
Flew Taca out of Miami, no problems with the boards. (Just $25 per board each way) Got into San Salvador at night.
3 hour ride to the East...very hairy on the Pan American Hiway...
Our first section of the trip was to the "East" side, mostly surfing Las Flores.
A right point break with a sand bottom, very consistent head to over. (And a few boat rides to "Punta Mango" right point reef bottom) We were on a tour with Punta Mango.
If you go to the East you need to know ahead of time how many people Punta Mango has booked down there. If its more than 2 groups (8 people) Las Flores will be crowded.
The East was the area that the 10-year civil war most affected. This area is "4th" world. I don't think most of these people know what a gringo is.
No TV no news media, no electricity etc. They do not look at you and they do not smile...
Except when you roll past some kids and get out and hand them a soccer ball...When I travel to some very poor places I always bring soccer balls, hand me down clothes and candy.
I also over pay for food. Puaposas for 6 with beer for $6??? Just give them $10...There is another break farther East called Lucky Mans. Its inside the Golfo de Fonseca. (You can see Nicaragua from here) The wave breaks only on a large swell is very long and all ways offshore wind. Rodrigo who owns Punta Mango sent me an email a few months ago. Seems he is building a small guesthouse right at Las Flores.

After a few days in the east, we got bored... there is absolutely nothing to do except surf. the waves were really good but not the after noon sesh due to onshores....

(Also here there are dudes with machetes every where, seems its a quite popular thing to go out and get loaded on Tic Tac (grain alcohol) and have a machete fight)

So we moved to La Libertad.... This is a coastal ville...whole different scene. Yes I was nervous here...I saw cars getting ripped and had travel companions get accosted by the cemetery bandits at Punta Roca..Even with the guide...we finally paid off a few of the key banditos to keep the others from f....ing with us...The waves are so good..Its hard to balance the personal safety factor... Many great breaks here. La Paz is a great long board wave. Zanzul bowls, Punta Roca is world class..Surf all day no problems with onshore wind. The hotel that Punta Mango has here is right on the La Paz point, with walking distance ( or paddling to Punta Roca )

The last night we went into San Salvador by taxi. No fear here . Seemed like any other large Latin American city...We ate at Tony Roma's and went to "Titanic" ( a really, really good...strip club.....) I have been to Barbados 5 times...great vibe but very expensive... good waves too, less consistent then Centro...

Generally it was a good trip due to wave quality. I would do it again and I would use Punta Mango...Just ask lots of questions before you go so you will know what to expect. Make sure this will suit your personal likes or dislikes. This is not for everyone due to living conditions and wave size and conditions. ( total cost for me was around $1100 for the week, all inclusive)

Waves to you,

J

-------------------------
So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.

Edited: 11/03/2023 at 03:50 AM by jdbman
FORUMS : Surf History : El Salvador

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .