Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Learning How To Party With The Gators
Topic Summary: Once again, UF's Gator Nation leads the way
Created On: 07/29/2008 01:31 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/29/2008 01:31 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

tahoe

Joined Forum: 08/18/2006

Learning How To Party With The Gators

GAINESVILLE, Fla., July 28, 2008(AP) The University of Florida can raise a glass to another national title - best party school in the country.

In this Oct. 29, 2007 file photo, Florida
and Georgia football fans, one holding a
multi-person drinking apparatus, colloquially
known as a "beer bong," stand on top of a
bus before the annual game in Jacksonville, Fla.
The game billed as "the world's largest outdoor
cocktail party" helps give the University of Florida
the nickname "Guzzling Gator", as it tops the
Princeton Review list of top party schools. (AP PHOTO)

The Gators, known for wild celebrations following national championships in football and basketball, wrested the party title away from West Virginia University and beat out the University of Mississippi and Penn State University, in the Princeton Review survey of 120,000 students released Monday.

West Virginia was ranked fourth. Ken Gray, the university's vice president for student affairs, said the school remains focused on academic excellence.

"To our students, their parents and the community, we want to assure you that WVU is addressing this national issue of excessive drinking and making it a top priority," Gray said. "And while students enjoy their college years, more importantly, they have an extraordinary academic experience."

Florida has made the top 20 party school list for the past 15 years, but has never been No. 1.

Freshman Allison Belanger, a journalism and political science major, said she's only been on campus for a few weeks but already has had no problem finding a party.

"All I have to do is leave the dorm," said Belanger, 17. "A lot of people study hard and party hard."

A university spokesman said the party school reputation comes from the school's athletic successes. The Gators won two national basketball championships in 2006 and 2007 and one national football title at the end of the 2006 season.

"The fact that we have three national championships in two years is probably a major contributing factor," spokesman Steve Orlando said. "We know our students like to have a good time."

He defended the school's academic climate, noting Florida's incoming students have a weighted grade-point average of 4.1 and an average SAT score of 1,300.

Florida also came in first this year in the categories of students who study the least and students who pack the stadiums.

Joseph Milano, 21, a finance major from Palm Harbor, said a mostly young student body of 51,000 students and successful athletic programs make it easy to party.

"With a lot of people on campus, fun things happen," he said.

Chris Hickox, 22, of Fort Lauderdale, said he is working hard to try to get into veterinary school, so he doesn't have a lot of time to celebrate.

"We do party and have a good time, but I have to study or my Dad will kill me," he said.

The annual rankings also list the nation's "Stone-Cold Sober Schools." Topping that list was Utah's Brigham Young University for the 11th consecutive year.

The Princeton Review's annual guide, "The Best 368 Colleges," also ranks schools on scores from 60 to 99 based on admissions, financial aid, and a new category called the Green rating, which surveys colleges in part on their environmentally friendly practices.

The book has 62 categories in all, including: Best Professors, Middlebury College in Vermont, Tastiest Campus Food, Wheaton College in Illinois, and Best Dorms, Loyola College in Maryland. The students happiest with their financial aid attend Princeton University, which also tops the list for the most beautiful campus, the survey found.

The Princeton Review says the guide to the best schools is intended to help applicants who can't visit every school in person.

"In our opinion, each school in this book is first-rate academically," said Robert Franek, the book's author.

The Princeton Review is a New York company known for its test preparation courses, educational services and books and is not affiliated with Princeton University.
Text

07/29/2008 06:10 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Florida has lots more applicants than it can take--like a fair number of similar state universities in big states.  I haven't looked up any numbers, but betcha the student body is at least as good as UC (well, maybe San Diego, not Berkeley--Berkeley's student body is as good as Stanford's but from non-affluent families), Michigan, UVa, UNC-CH. 
 07/29/2008 06:25 AM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

^^ gloomy elitist!

and re: party like a gator -

thats how we been rollin for long time now.

discuss,

-------------------------
Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 07/29/2008 07:07 AM

3rdworldlover

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

The bike trails and $5 Guiness Pitchers at the Salty Dog on Thursdays was where it was at - way better than the stupid fratboy/sowhority partys.

07/29/2008 07:23 AM

bob3000

remember

$1 breakfast at Grannys?

2.50$ pitchers at copper monkey?

tuesday nites at Dannys?

burrito brothers before it was a church?

chanting with the krishnas at lunch time??

07/29/2008 07:33 AM

wetspot

Joined Forum: 02/09/2005

Originally posted by: tahoe
Florida has made the top 20 party school list for the past 15 years, but has never been No. 1.

Maybe they've never been ranked #1 in partying by Princeton Review, but I think they've gotten #1 party school or casual sex school or something like that by Playboy magazine and others as far back as the early 1980's.

Edit:

Calico Jacks, having to stand on tables to keep your feet dry from the beer, puke, & wee wee flowing underneath?

Purple Porpoise / Purple Passout?

Brother Jed?

Skeeter's Big Biscuits?

That boy's got somethin' wrong with his medulla oblongata.

Edited: 07/29/2008 at 09:52 AM by wetspot
 07/29/2008 07:35 AM

3rdworldlover

I was a big fan of granny's drive thru!

Almost as much as the freshman sumrbabe was a fan of multi-storey beer bongs.
 07/29/2008 08:25 AM

SandCrabs

Joined Forum: 03/07/2004

Rollins College was #3 Party school on Playboys one time. Then the alums got mad, and enforced Authortarian rule. fools i say!

"Don't Steal, the government hates competition"
-Ron Paul
 07/29/2008 09:01 AM

ww

Elitist?  The great thing about public universities like UF is that they aren't stuffed with rich kids.  Just hard-working ones.  You expect slackers to do a good job of partying?

[don't mean to malign Rollins.  Liberal arts colleges can be neat places with distinctive personalities].

Party Animal  Cute little tree dweller lives on fermented palm nectar. 

Edited: 07/29/2008 at 09:24 AM by ww
 07/29/2008 09:44 AM

Ron Mexico

Joined Forum: 09/22/2005

Grandy's....unless it was called Granny's when you grandpa's went there...
 07/29/2008 09:54 AM

3rdworldlover

Oh yeah!

More proof that hangovers hurt.

07/29/2008 10:17 AM

bob3000

Originally posted by: Ron Mexico

Grandy's....unless it was called Granny's when you grandpa's went there...

so sorry Ron, but Grannys was on 13th and also over by main street
& the
1 dollar breakfast was the best deal ever.

and Grandys is still where it was near univ. ave and 34th street.,

Grandpa!

07/29/2008 10:18 AM

bob3000

Originally posted by: ww

Elitist?  The great thing about public universities like UF is that they aren't stuffed with rich kids.  Just hard-working ones.  You expect slackers to do a good job of partying?

[don't mean to malign Rollins.  Liberal arts colleges can be neat places with distinctive personalities].

http://sciencenow.sciencemag.o...ntent/full/2008/728/1" target=blank>Party Animal  Cute little tree dweller lives on fermented palm nectar. 

&" not Berkeley--Berkeley's student body is as good as Stanford's but from non-affluent families), "

yes, ww. elitist.

07/29/2008 11:46 AM

ww

OK, I'm not in favor of admission by lottery, parental income, recommendations from state legislators (don't snicker), etc.
 07/29/2008 12:24 PM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Grandy's, the source of more anti-hangover grease than other place in the world.

Burrito brothers. I only wish those tattooed, pierced, gastronomic geniuses would ride their bumper stickered bikes down here to start a franchise.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

07/29/2008 12:34 PM

bob3000

dude, they deliver!!!

check their website.

07/29/2008 12:46 PM

Caswell

Joined Forum: 06/06/2005

Originally posted by: johnnyboy

Grandy's, the source of more anti-hangover grease than other place in the world.

Maybe overall simply due to the size of UF, but the per capita title belongs to The Varsity in Atlanta. Always has, always will.

The internet is serious business.
 07/29/2008 01:00 PM

smallwavespwnme

Joined Forum: 09/09/2003

Eh not a fan of Grandy's. I love Momo's (now I <3 NY pizza) and Burrito Bros. I still have yet to go to satchel's in my two years, but will go this year. Mellow Mushroom has some awesome za also. And 3rd, I resent that fraternity statement!!! lol
 07/29/2008 01:01 PM

smallwavespwnme

Joined Forum: 09/09/2003

and Salty Dog is where a lot of my brothers go for happy hour. Did they have the challenges like "around the world in 60 days" and others when you guys were there? I started the Mexico one, but after many shot of tequila and a dos equis and tecate in one night, I never wanted to finish it.
 07/29/2008 01:10 PM

wbsponger

Joined Forum: 08/04/2003

Originally posted by: ww

OK, I'm not in favor of admission by lottery, parental income, recommendations from state legislators (don't snicker), etc.

Elitist Stanford Eliminates Tuition Costs for Families making less then 100K a year

I am sure the student quality between Berkeley and Stanford is comparable though Stanford probably had a small but measurable edge. Maybe as a private institution there is more wiggle room with "legacies" or political favors for admitees, but dont think with an organization as large as the UC's strings arent getting pulled there as well.

Also Berkeley's tuition rates for out of state get pretty close to the stanford general rate. The only guaranteed rich kids at stanford were the internationals because as I understood it they received no financial aid and were paying the full retail price.
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .